Toshiba TG01 ... is it a smartphone or PocketPC device ?

Guest UnicornKaz

Guest UnicornKaz

I'm in the process of getting this device and have numerous applications for both smartphone & pocketpc ...etc

I was wondering for those that has already doing some installations on this device.

Do you installed smartphone appz or pocketpc specific appz ??

Reason is .. those 2 terms used to specified 2 types of devices:

Smartphone -->> no touch screen

PocketPC phone --->> touch screen

having owned both a HTC Excalibur (S621) --->> smartphone

and TyTN II ( Kaiser ) PocketPC phone

... I have both appz and games for them in both types ( smartphone & pocketpc ) ... they only worked specifically for the intended platform ... meaning pocketpc appz will not run on my Excalibur's phone and vice versa ..etc

doing researched on the net have mixed resultsfor the TG01... some are calling it a smartphone ...and some referred to it as pocketpc phone ...etc

I guess everyone is calling these high tech phones a "smartphone" these days ...

please clear the confusion for me.

Thanks.

Edited by UnicornKaz

Guest xdalover
I'm in the process of getting this device and have numerous applications for both smartphone & pocketpc ...etc

I was wondering for those that has already doing some installations on this device.

Reason is .. those 2 terms used to specified 2 types of devices:

Smartphone -->> no touch screen

PocketPC phone --->> touch screen

having owned both a HTC Excalibur (S621) --->> smartphone

and TyTN II ( Kaiser ) PocketPC phone

... I have both appz and games for them in both types ( smartphone & pocketpc ) ... they only worked specifically for the intended platform ... meaning pocketpc appz will not run on my Excalibur's phone and vice versa ..etc

doing researched on the net have mixed resultsfor the TG01... some are calling it a smartphone ...and some referred to it as pocketpc phone ...etc

I guess everyone is calling these high tech phones a "smartphone" these days ...

please clear the confusion for me.

Thanks.

I agree, today the difference is not as clear as in the past, because there are a lot of cell phones with touch screen.... A Pocket PC has usualy a microprocessor with ARM instructions, ad most of then (but that can change in the near future) have Windows Mobile as Operating System.

Cheers

Guest kevinpwhite

.......please clear the confusion for me.

Thanks.

In my experience, most Pocket PC oriented apps will run on the TG01 provided they are WM5 or later compatible. The simple thing is to try and see what happens. It is unlikely that trying to run something which turns out NOT to work properly will mess up existing system/settings, but I would always recommend making a full backup before installing something you are not shure of. If you find it is no good or for any other reason then decide to remove it, you can simply roll back to where you were, with no risk of odd files or residual registry entries being left behind cluttering (slowing) up the device.

I would also recommend creating a 'Gold Build' master backup by carefully installing all your apps one by one and configuring to taste (using saved registry or native backup via menu for the app in question) BEFORE syncing with a PC or OTA email, etc. That way you can quickly restore your device to perfect condition and then simply re-sync with Outlook, Files, etc., to restore to full order. The equivalent of doing a total rebuild of Operating Syste, Apps and data on a PC from an unformatted disc in about 15 mins.#

When you find a new app you can install and use normally for a few days and set up how you like to use - then save all the settings and when convenient do a hard reset, restore the current gold build, update it with the new app, add the desired settings and then make a new Gold Build backup. The off you go again.

In general it is worth trying to keep apps up to date with recent updates as these often address bugs and in some cases incompatibilities between different apps. Save up a few and just do the GB routine once a month or so as appropriate and you should have a device running at close to optimum most of the time.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Kevin