Noob help on backing up before updating rom please

Guest broona

I've had my Hero for 3 months now, rooted it before using it, and installed a couple of 1.5 MCR roms, currently on 3.2 beta 5.

I did a full wipe before installing the first rom, and have updated a couple of times, but overwritten the old rom instead of wiping and starting afresh.

I'm now wanting to have a play with some 2.1 roms, and a full wipe is probably the best bet, but just need a little advice as to the best way to go about this.

Do I need to do both a Nandroid backup and a Titanium backup, or just one or the other?

I want to be able to restore my phone as closely as possible to the way it is now, i.e. installed apps, text messages, photos, etc, as easily as possible, as I'll no doubt end up trying every 2.1 rom before I'm happy.

Cheers in advance. :)

Edited by broona

I've had my Hero for 3 months now, rooted it before using it, and installed a couple of 1.5 MCR roms, currently on 3.2 beta 5.

I did a full wipe before installing the first rom, and have updated a couple of times, but overwritten the old rom instead of wiping and starting afresh.

I'm now wanting to have a play with some 2.1 roms, and a full wipe is probably the best bet, but just need a little advice as to the best way to go about this.

Do I need to do both a Nandroid backup and a Titanium backup, or just one or the other?

I want to be able to restore my phone as closely as possible to the way it is now, i.e. installed apps, text messages, photos, etc, as easily as possible, as I'll no doubt end up trying every 2.1 rom before I'm happy.

Cheers in advance. B)

A nandroid backup is a full image of your phone before you start messing about and breaking stuff (:)) DEFINITELY make one of these, and store it on your PC (don't just leave it on the SD card, in case it gets formatted by mistake).

A titanium backup 'thing' is apparently (I've not actually used it yet, but have read about it) more for letting you "back up your applications and restore them WITH links to the Android Market in place" (Paul's description). So to backup messages etc. a nandroid is better.

Also, you could try something like MyBackup Pro (paid) or Backup for Root Users (free version available) to make a back up of your settings and mail etc.

WaveSecure (the security app) can also do this too, but gives you the safety net of it being stored on their servers (probably best not to do that with important business contacts, but they're pretty reliable and trustworthy)

But, whatever you do, NANDROID first!

Thanks for the reply, I'll be sure to do a Nandroid backup first, already got one, but it's from when I first rooted it, things have changed a little since then!

I'll look into the other apps too, and make sure everything I need's backed up before I tinker.

Thanks for the reply, I'll be sure to do a Nandroid backup first, already got one, but it's from when I first rooted it, things have changed a little since then!

I'll look into the other apps too, and make sure everything I need's backed up before I tinker.

No bother. I tend to hoard nandroids myself (I've got one for each install of any ROM I've ever had- 6 at the moment). People don't call me paranoid for nothing xD

A nandroid will cover all the bases so long as it's on your PC too! You can just go back there if you lose anything important.

Cheers