Flashed my Hero but nothing happened?

Guest ranzorz

Guest ranzorz

Hi All,

Just got my Hero about a week ago and instantly started to investigate modding. I actually already used the bootscreen (sorry if I'm not using the right phrasing, rather a noob like I said) to install Hebrew fonts the day I got the phone without knowing what I'm actually doing, just followed instructions.

Yesterday I finally got to flashing the Modaco ROM. I followed the insturctions on Modaco and copied this file to the SD card:

3.1-update-hero-modacocustomrom-core-signed

And used the bootscreen to "flash any rom from sd card".

It seemed to be installing correctly, but after the phone booted, nothing changed! I was still one the same version I was using, BUT - the Hebrew fonts were gone!

I then booted to bootscreen again in order to install:

1.0-update-hero-modacocustomrom-hebrewfonts-signed

In order to just got my phone back to working order, but after the installation the phone just wouldn't boot.

Finally I just booted to bootscreen again and used the Nandroid restore feature.

What happened here? why didn't the Modaco 3.1 actually flash my phone?

Could this be related to the version on my phone? it says Build Number "2.73.421.5 146733 CL#61267 release-keys". I'm guessing people around here know exactly what that means, unfortunately I don't. I just read in the flashing post that this can be used on 2.73.x.

I'd appreciate any help. thanks

Edited by ranzorz

Guest Callum MR

Did you wipe /data before flashing MCR? Not sure if it would help, but yeah.

It sounds like it did do something if your keyboard was gone after the first flash.

Guest ranzorz

Ok... got it with factory wipe and dalvik wipe. that was a nice experience with adb, I'm slowly de-noobing myself.

Is it suppose to look just like the stock rom? cause I'm honestly not seeing the gain here. am I suppose to be getting more functionality? more speed?

If it's just like the stock firmware then it just feels like a lot more hassle starting to re-install everything I had now..... will probably just restore Nand backup if I can't see any improvement with this rom...

Is it suppose to look just like the stock rom? cause I'm honestly not seeing the gain here. am I suppose to be getting more functionality? more speed?

Yes, it looks very similar. You should notice a few new apps, but it should be faster then stock ROM.

Especially Titanium backup... it allows you to backups your apps with settings and market entry to SD card. So you won't need to reinstall everything after wipe.