Which of these processes are safe to kill?

Guest Nazgulled

Guest Nazgulled

Hi,

I'm trying to see which processes are safe to kill and which are not so I can put them on the ignore list so they don't get killed

I've already added a couple ones which where obvious, but I don't know what to do with a couple others...

1) The first set are "Gmail Storage" and "Calendar Storage". These processes are always running on the background. I have auto sync of the calendar and contacts but not for e-mail, why is the gmail storage running?

Anyway, are they safe to kill or should be put in the ignore list?

2) The second set are "DCS Utility Component" and "DRM Protected Content Storage". What are these for? Does anyone know? They are constantly popping up in the process list... Save to kill or should be ignored?

3) Lastly, "Settings" and "Messages" are always in the background too, which I don't understand... Why are they on the background why not "empty" as most other apps? Specially "Messages", why is that app always on the background, what for? Safe to kill these 2 or ignore also?

Hi,

I'm trying to see which processes are safe to kill and which are not so I can put them on the ignore list so they don't get killed

I've already added a couple ones which where obvious, but I don't know what to do with a couple others...

1) The first set are "Gmail Storage" and "Calendar Storage". These processes are always running on the background. I have auto sync of the calendar and contacts but not for e-mail, why is the gmail storage running?

Anyway, are they safe to kill or should be put in the ignore list?

2) The second set are "DCS Utility Component" and "DRM Protected Content Storage". What are these for? Does anyone know? They are constantly popping up in the process list... Save to kill or should be ignored?

3) Lastly, "Settings" and "Messages" are always in the background too, which I don't understand... Why are they on the background why not "empty" as most other apps? Specially "Messages", why is that app always on the background, what for? Safe to kill these 2 or ignore also?

Both of 3 should be safe to kill, as I kill them with no adverse effects I am aware of. Not sure about others, but I don't see either of 2 here. 1 might be worth leaving for the moment as it sounds potentially necessary for proper operation of calendar and mail. If you want to experiment, you can always try killing those 2, then send yourself an email from your pc and check it comes through with notification, and set a calendar reminder to check it still works. nothing like that should cause any harm if killed, but you might lose notifications, so test at a non critical time.

hope this helps

Guest Nazgulled
If you want to experiment, you can always try killing those 2, then send yourself an email from your pc and check it comes through with notification(...)

That's exactly why I don't understand why this is process is running in the background... I have disabled auto-sync for e-mail, thus, I won't receive any e-mail notifications at all.

But like you said, nothing better than to experiment...

I'm just dazzled by both on two, I have no idea why are they for and they popping up even after I kill them and do nothing (that I'm aware of).

Guest shenshang

killing messaging will speed up your phone a bit, and doesnt have any side effects, when your phone gets an SMS, it will automatically start up messaging again :)

Guest smiskkissen

I'm using taskiller and I always had a process called "google partner setup". I usually kill it, but does anyone know what it original purpose was/is?

Just to add a little, an app called 'Autostarts' on the market is really good for seeing what applications are being executed based on different events. By stopping things from executing on the event in the first place, there is less need to kill tasks manually.

Also there is an active thread over on xda dev, discussing how to modify the stock Android task killer that ensures RAM is available for apps. It is possibly better than some app based killers, since there is no need for ignore lists or research into what each task does, since Android knows what is safe to kill and what should stay. You lose the granularity of killing individual apps, but its a neat way to get the job done.