App for browsing SD card over wireless connection - that works with Wireless tether for root users

Guest JamesKing

Guest JamesKing

I've tried using WebSharing Lite, which appears on the surface to do what I want (I assume it would work if it was a wireless network with a router involved) but it doesn't work when using Wirless Tether for Root Users to create an ad-hoc wireless network.

The Motorola Phone Portal app does work like this (so I can browse contacts, photos, call history and SMS messages) on my laptop, but I'd like to have a root to access the SD card via wireless for those times when I've forgotten my USB cable (like when I'm away this week!).

I've only got a "power only" USB--> Mini USB cable on me ;)

Guest Bantumi
I've tried using WebSharing Lite, which appears on the surface to do what I want (I assume it would work if it was a wireless network with a router involved) but it doesn't work when using Wirless Tether for Root Users to create an ad-hoc wireless network.

The Motorola Phone Portal app does work like this (so I can browse contacts, photos, call history and SMS messages) on my laptop, but I'd like to have a root to access the SD card via wireless for those times when I've forgotten my USB cable (like when I'm away this week!).

I've only got a "power only" USB--> Mini USB cable on me :D

Depending on how much you know about linux/ssh you could try using a client like putty for windows and connecting to your phone via SSH. If you are using one of the Modaco roms you'll already have dropbear ssh installed and its password will be under your settings (about phone i think).

It's a command line interface only though.

The other option is to try one of the ftp server apps. I think they're mentioned a few times on this board so give searching a go. There was a thread about must have apps a few weeks ago... it was definitely mentioned there (i'm just too lazy to find it ;))

Alex

Guest JamesKing

Thanks. Putty and SSH is a bit of a no-no for me, way too much of a learning curve - I'm not very linux orientated! I'll take a look at some of the FTP progrmas though. Thanks.

Guest Konrad Walsh
Thanks. Putty and SSH is a bit of a no-no for me, way too much of a learning curve - I'm not very linux orientated! I'll take a look at some of the FTP progrmas though. Thanks.

mate... just try putty.... it really is simple to use and there are tons of how to sites

Guest MacCarron

I've only got a "power only" USB--> Mini USB cable on me :D

Well considering that you appear to dislike shell based apps, I suppose what you want when saying "root" are read/write/modify permissions.. I use THIS to avoid the nuisance of plugging the cable, and personally i think it's great. It grants you the aforementioned permissions (obviously), so as far as downloading,uploading or modifying are concerned you will be "root". In alternative, you could also try the free app "On Air" ;).

Edited by MacCarron

Guest JamesKing
Well considering that you appear to dislike shell based apps, I suppose what you want when saying "root" are read/write/modify permissions.. I use THIS to avoid the nuisance of plugging the cable, and personally i think it's great. It grants you the aforementioned permissions (obviously), so as far as downloading,uploading or modifying are concerned you will be "root". In alternative, you could also try the free app "On Air" ;).

Thanks,

What I meants by "root" in that context was "path" or "way to". I meant to spell it "route"!! I need to be far more careful with my choice of words and spelling!

So, does Swiftp work using Wireles Tether for Root Users to set up an ad hoc wireless network?

When I've got the time, I may look in to putty etc, but as I have no net access apart from my phone, it's hard to do that at the moment, Ijust wanted an app that would be nice and simple and let me do everything I want (which is move a couple of LARGE mp3 files from my laptop to my phone!)