Nandroid backup

Guest cortiis

Guest cortiis

Hi all,

Might seem stupid bit but better to be cautious.

1) I have flashed the recovery image and got to the black background with green letters. There was an option Backup/Restore. Inside it were many options but main were Nand backup and nand + ext backup. I tried googling but could not gather the difference. Any help?

2) Do I have root now? Or as I guess I need to install a custom ROM first. What is the difference between my current status and the one after installing a custom ROM.

3) I have taken an Nand backup. Does this mean that if I screw everything up, all I need to do is go to the recovery screen and select backup/restore. Or am I missing something here.

Thanks a lot guys.

Guest cortiis

One more issue guys.

All said and done. After flashing my recovery image i downloaded a terminal emulator and typed su and pressed enter.

Error message: permission denied.

Seems like i don't have root.

1) Is it right? I mean is this what is supposed to happen?

2) Can i proceed to the next step, that of loading a custom ROM?

3) Or I am doing something wrong. Please help me.

Hi all,

Might seem stupid bit but better to be cautious.

1) I have flashed the recovery image and got to the black background with green letters. There was an option Backup/Restore. Inside it were many options but main were Nand backup and nand + ext backup. I tried googling but could not gather the difference. Any help?

2) Do I have root now? Or as I guess I need to install a custom ROM first. What is the difference between my current status and the one after installing a custom ROM.

3) I have taken an Nand backup. Does this mean that if I screw everything up, all I need to do is go to the recovery screen and select backup/restore. Or am I missing something here.

Thanks a lot guys.

1. nandbackup saves everything which is currently on your phonememory nand + ext backup saves the same + the ext partition on an sd card if you created one

2. afaik you'll have root when it's enabled inside of the rom not on the recovery but i think you'll have root inside the recovery i think... but maybe wrong

3. yes you could to so, but i had some problems with that, what i do is

- wipe the hero

- restore the backup

i think the wipe is important but don't know :-)

Guest cortiis

Thanks Qvert for the answers. One question still remain. Do I have root at this point and can I proceed further and load the custom ROM. As I mentaioned above I typed su on a terminal emulator and got the permission denied error. Any help here?