Android 2.0 ROM Development

Guest BigBearMDC

Guest BigBearMDC

Hey guys!

I just wanted to inform you that I'm compiling Android 2.0 at the moment. I already compiled the kernel without problems.

I'm expecting first results tomorrow evening.

Stay Tuned!

BigBear

Guest speedme
Hey guys!

I just wanted to inform you that I'm compiling Android 2.0 at the moment. I already compiled the kernel without problems.

Stay Tuned!

BigBear

That's great man !!

Take your time, but you can imagine we are all very curious about your findings ;)

Guest benholtby1

Ive just wet my pants! Good work mate been watching with interest in your other thread, you have put loads of work into this and it is appreciated!

Hey guys!

Stay Tuned!

BigBear

I don't want to be too negative; I'm not the one slaving over a keyboard, trying to get the damn thing to work!

That said, compiling something is quite different to getting it running on the phone, which is in turn quite different to getting the hardware working with the new build. For example, a few of us got 1.6 working on the pulse, but we had almost no hardware working because that required closed-source drivers that we weren't able to port.

However, I'll be very impressed if you get 2.0 booting on the pulse - I had a try and wasn't able to because 2.0 requires the 2.6.29 kernel.

Best of luck!

Guest John Hamelink

You've already proved yourself as a talented guy, Bigbear. I'm learning how to crosscompile myself and I have some statically linked binaries I've managed to code and compile myself. I'm on ubuntu 9.10 so I can't get the android compiler working, but when I do, I'll be trying my hand at some cool linux programs like links ;) Perhaps after that I might be able to help you compile some androids xd

Guest BigBearMDC

Hi guys!

I just crosscompiled the original Pulse kernel source with the Pulse .config. I did not make any changes and it compiled without any problems.

I don't want to make a fully working android 2.0 ROM, at least not at the moment. I just saw that the source is now available for download and I

thought: Hey, why not. I know that compiling is much easier than to get it to work on the Pulse - with all HW working. But I thought if it works with

1.6, why shouldn't i try it with 2.0. Lets just see what happens. BTW that doesn't mean that i stop working on my other project - I just wanted to

make something different because staring the whole day at thousands of lines of code isn't really satisfying :D

And thaks for your feedback and Thanks to anyone who helps me! ;)

Greetings,

BigBear

Hi guys!

I just crosscompiled the original Pulse kernel source with the Pulse .config. I did not make any changes and it compiled without any problems.

I don't want to make a fully working android 2.0 ROM, at least not at the moment. I just saw that the source is now available for download and I

thought: Hey, why not. I know that compiling is much easier than to get it to work on the Pulse - with all HW working. But I thought if it works with

1.6, why shouldn't i try it with 2.0. Lets just see what happens. BTW that doesn't mean that i stop working on my other project - I just wanted to

make something different because staring the whole day at thousands of lines of code isn't really satisfying :D

And thaks for your feedback and Thanks to anyone who helps me! ;)

Greetings,

BigBear

So it's not a 2.6.29 kernel? We need to get Seb in on this. He has one floating about I think.

Guest BigBearMDC
So it's not a 2.6.29 kernel?

Yes its just the standard Pulse kernel.

I read elswhere that android 2.0 requires 2.6.29, but why should i spend hours on surfing the net when i can try it on my own ;)

I wanted to make a thread where we all can discuss about that and share our experiences. And maybe at the end we have a working - or at least booting - android 2.0 ROM. Who knows...

Greetings,

BigBear

Edited by BigBearMDC

Yes its just the standard Pulse kernel.

I read elswhere that android 2.0 requires 2.6.29, but why should i spend hours on surfing the net when i can try it on my own ;)

I wanted to make a thread where we all can discuss about that and share our experiences. And maybe at the end we have a working - or at least booting - android 2.0 ROM. Who knows...

Greetings,

BigBear

Nah it's deffo a good idea. I should work on it today ... it's just I need to redownload the 2.0 source. Then I have the toolchain again (I formatted) to build the 2.6.29 kernel I have going on. Will keep everyone updated. I'm not doing to well on the build errors =/

Guest BigBearMDC
I'm not doing to well on the build errors =/

If you need help just send me a PM or post it here. I'd really like to help you!

EDIT: Are you working on a 2.6.29 kernel for the Pulse?

Greetings,

BigBear

Edited by BigBearMDC

If you need help just send me a PM or post it here. I'd really like to help you!

EDIT: Are you working on a 2.6.29 kernel for the Pulse?

Greetings,

BigBear

Yesh I am. As Seb has been too. Will be posting errors here. I had a patch in the other thread of specific vendor differences. I'ma apply them to a 2.6.29 kernel and see what happens =]

I have created a new patch. I found out something I didn't know about the diff function. Documentation/dontdiff.

I don't know if this is the right one. I might try another different patch. If I do, I will upload that too.

EDIT:

Sorry, I will explain. my_patch.zip is a diff of the 2.6.27 vanilla and pulse kernel USING the dontdiff from 2.6.29.

I then realised, wtf am I doing using the dontdiff from 2.6.29???

So, my_patch2.zip is using the dontdiff file from 2.6.27/huawei kernel (they're both the same).

EDIT2: hahahahhaha, just looking at them both, they're exactly the same. Disregard =P

my_patch.zip

my_patch2.zip

Edited by xangma

Guest BigBearMDC

Sorry if that sounds stupid, but what is "dontdiff" and what is it used for?

And what are the two (identical ;) ) files you uploaded for?

Greetings,

BigBear

Sorry if that sounds stupid, but what is "dontdiff" and what is it used for?

And what are the two (identical ;) ) files you uploaded for?

Greetings,

BigBear

Yeah didn't realise they were the same till after =P

Well you know what taking a diff is, but I found a file in /documentation called dontdiff. And you don't diff those files apparently, cause it's bad. So you exclude them from the diff. Making your command something like 'diff -uNr -X dontdiff 2.6.27e pulsek > my_patch'

It excludes a bunch of files while creating a patch pretty much.

Guest BigBearMDC

So if I got that right, this helps you to compare two files, lets say two driver files, and the programm tells you where and what is different of those files?

If I knew that earlier.... I was comparing the files manually .... xD

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest le_lutin
So if I got that right, this helps you to compare two files, lets say two driver files, and the programm tells you where and what is different of those files?

If I knew that earlier.... I was comparing the files manually .... xD

Greetings,

BigBear

Yikes!!

I find winmerge to be an invaluable compare/diff tool. It'll compare folders as well as files:

http://winmerge.org/