Android 2.0 ROM Development

Guest BigBearMDC

Guest saintVTi

Hy,

What about the repo? I was downloaded it last night, and works perfectly. Can I send you somehow?

What about building 2.x android?

I build it too.. but I don't know the result at the moment ;)

Guest BigBearMDC
Hy,

What about the repo? I was downloaded it last night, and works perfectly. Can I send you somehow?

What about building 2.x android?

I build it too.. but I don't know the result at the moment :D

I tried it with repo, but it didn't work for me :(

I don't know why...

Could you tar it and upload it to megaupload?

That would be really cool ;)

I didn't notice the source for android 2.x is already available for download.

But anyway, i think its better to have a look at 2.0 first.

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest saintVTi
I tried it with repo, but it didn't work for me :D

I don't know why...

Could you tar it and upload it to megaupload?

That would be really cool ;)

I didn't notice the source for android 2.x is already available for download.

But anyway, i think its better to have a look at 2.0 first.

Greetings,

BigBear

Try this... magaupload wasn't work for me.. it's cca 73 MB and told me that it's undefined upload time with free account... ppff...

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=kernel/ms...6c8817eb;sf=tgz

This is a 2.6.30-rc2 msm kernel

Guest david_dawkins
Out of interest - when (and if) a 2.1 Rom is released for teh pulse - how long is it going to take before we get a vanilla example?

I reckon a couple of hours.

Guest saintVTi

OK some status:

Compiled system without any problem

Compiled kernel without any problem

flashed my pulse with new kernel 2.6.30-rc2 -> phone wont boot. i use the default .config which was created with make msm_defconfig

Now i will flash system with new android and old kernel.

If something happens will write it.

Guest saintVTi
Good news ;)

Ohh nooo... wont boot :D

Error message:

saint@terminus /mnt/data/android $ adb bugreport

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

Back to modaco 1.7

It seems that default android setting will not work on pulse.

Can somehow figure out vendor and device files howto, to customize build for pulse?

Edited by saintVTi

At the moment i'm trying to compile the 2.6.29 kernel. I am saying fu to the strongly ordered memory management system. Or whatever.

Anyone shed any light on this?

EDIT: Look what I found too. Not sure if it's useful yet ...

https://www.codeaurora.org/patches/quic/la/...08022010.tar.gz

https://www.codeaurora.org/wiki/QAEP_Patch_Releases

Edited by xangma

Compiling again now, found a random 2.6.29 kernel by codeaurora and applied some patches ... it's actually going really well =/ And seems to be nearly done with no hitches. I think I may have gotten something wrong. Onwards and upwards maybe.

EDIT: Who wants to rewrite an accelerometer driver? They define "swap" in there yet in this kernel update ... in /include/linux/kernel.h, they define it in there too. That made me sad.

Edited by xangma

Kk so far. I had the wrong kernels downloaded. The pulse kernel is based on the 2.6.27 CodeAurora kernel. So you diff against that, and you get ONLY the Huawei changes. I did it wrong before.

I am downloading the 2.6.27 Code Aurora kernel and the 2.6.29 CodeAurora kernel.

So far. I have a patch done with the pulse kernel with the AOSP kernel. Which is WRONG. But I had nothing else to do so I chucked it on the 2.6.29 CodeAurora Kernel only to find it comiles well, but not as well as I would have hoped. I am waiting for the 2.6.27 CA kernel to download (currently on about 8%) then I will upload a PROPER patch for people to use.

What I was talking about with the accelerometer driver, is HUAWEI, being the geniuses they are ... defined something in the gs_xx.c file or whatever as "swap" ... however, the lovely kernel devs decided to also use this - as they are fully entitled to because it is a GENERIC TERM and not related to Huawei at all, and also defined it in /include/linux/kernel.h.

Either. I untick that one of the 3 accel drivers included, or trackdown where Huawei's defined "swap" is and redefine it in every file. Requiring an in depth understanding of how drivers are used and implemented in the kernel ... in particular the accelerometer one.

/rant

Guest BigBearMDC
Kk so far. I had the wrong kernels downloaded. The pulse kernel is based on the 2.6.27 CodeAurora kernel. So you diff against that, and you get ONLY the Huawei changes. I did it wrong before.

I am downloading the 2.6.27 Code Aurora kernel and the 2.6.29 CodeAurora kernel.

So far. I have a patch done with the pulse kernel with the AOSP kernel. Which is WRONG. But I had nothing else to do so I chucked it on the 2.6.29 CodeAurora Kernel only to find it comiles well, but not as well as I would have hoped. I am waiting for the 2.6.27 CA kernel to download (currently on about 8%) then I will upload a PROPER patch for people to use.

What I was talking about with the accelerometer driver, is HUAWEI, being the geniuses they are ... defined something in the gs_xx.c file or whatever as "swap" ... however, the lovely kernel devs decided to also use this - as they are fully entitled to because it is a GENERIC TERM and not related to Huawei at all, and also defined it in /include/linux/kernel.h.

Either. I untick that one of the 3 accel drivers included, or trackdown where Huawei's defined "swap" is and redefine it in every file. Requiring an in depth understanding of how drivers are used and implemented in the kernel ... in particular the accelerometer one.

/rant

Great work!

I think for the moment it would be easiest, if you just drop the accelerometer drivers.

They aren't necessary I guess. I got one basic question:

You wrote that the Pulse kernel is based on a Code Aurora kernel.

Is this just a standard linux kernel, or is it specially designed for android?

If you need some help - although I don't think that I could help YOU - feel free to ask me :D

I'm very patient, so searching for definitions and rename them is no problem for me.

Greetings,

BigBear

Great work!

I think for the moment it would be easiest, if you just drop the accelerometer drivers.

They aren't necessary I guess. I got one basic question:

You wrote that the Pulse kernel is based on a Code Aurora kernel.

Is this just a standard linux kernel, or is it specially designed for android?

If you need some help - although I don't think that I could help YOU - feel free to ask me :D

I'm very patient, so searching for definitions and rename them is no problem for me.

Greetings,

BigBear

Oh no, it's an android kernel alright. https://www.codeaurora.org/gitweb/quic/le/

I am gonna drop them for now (the accel driver), when I was having a gander before it said something about the touchscreen drivers in the next error I had to work around ... though these could have been modified in the patching. I'm not gonna look at anything again until I get these new unmodified sources and make a new patchfile. I will deffo post that here. I'm sure _Sebastian_ got a lot further than this to be honest. I'm just seeing how far I can get. We're getting 2.0 in like a month or two anyways (rumoured).

13% haha =[

EDIT:

WTF ... can't seem to get the CodeAurora 2.6.27 source. Anyone enlighten me on acquiring this?

Edited by xangma

Kernel build 1.

No camera and no accelerometer. Not sure if works. Will test soon.

Remember. This isn't a boot.img ... this is a KERNEL. It has NO RAMDISK.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, doesn't work with 1.5 obviously. I can't be bothered to be making a system.img. I'm out. I've been on this for like 8 hours =/

2.6.29CAedited.zip

Edited by xangma

Guest BigBearMDC
Kernel build 1.

No camera and no accelerometer. Not sure if works. Will test soon.

Remember. This isn't a boot.img ... this is a KERNEL. It has NO RAMDISK.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, doesn't work with 1.5 obviously. I can't be bothered to be making a system.img. I'm out. I've been on this for like 8 hours =/

I built android 2.0 already. I'll test it with your kerne :D

Greetings,

BigBear

Yeah there were only a couple of files that pulled errors. Off the top of my head they included: mmzone.h, vmscan.h, msm_camera.c, that accelerometer one ... can't think of any more ...

Do let me know how you get on. I will be downloading the 1.6 source today and seeing how that goes. I will try to build an SDK image (NOTHING at all in it) and seeing if it boots, just to see if meh kernel works.

Guest Hornet69
Android 2.0 should be avalable on T-Mobiles website in week 11 if the testing and verification doesn't find any major problems, so this may save you all a few weeks of extra work?

Sorry for delay in the update, looks like the official 2.0 release for the Pulse is still on track from the info today on the intranet. Still week 11 (8th March) is the expected date for it to be ready. Subject to no delays in testing. Looks like there may also be a further update to follow that? Not sure what that includes so will try and check that one out this week.

:D

Guest helikopter
Sorry for delay in the update, looks like the official 2.0 release for the Pulse is still on track from the info today on the intranet. Still week 11 (8th March) is the expected date for it to be ready. Subject to no delays in testing. Looks like there may also be a further update to follow that? Not sure what that includes so will try and check that one out this week.

great news, hope they are true. :D

You're a legend! I love people like you!