CyanogenMod for HTC Hero (GSM) v1.0 (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Jnwhiteh, the LED continues to flash forever after a message/email notification, is there any way you could look into this?

I like this, since I can see that I have a new message waiting without having to turn the screen on.

Guest Stea1thmode
I like this, since I can see that I have a new message waiting without having to turn the screen on.

I'm glad you enjoy this feature, IMO it would be good to have this as an option or some kind of cut out point.

Its not a biggie tho, I' m thinking more of battery drain.

Guest vorcigernix

"But that's not anything we can fix until they release a 2.1 ROM.. which given their speed may be after Duke Nukem Forever comes out."

ROFL

/////big nono

For these fast switchers, there is a setting in spare parts called Home app in memory. It will make your launcher much faster (but games etc slower)

//

I tried for myself and it didn't helped...it was slower actually. Sorry.

Edited by vorcigernix

Guest jnwhiteh
Is anyone having a problem with google goggles, keep force closing on me after taking the picture

Yep, known issue that I am going to try and look into. You may want to remove it and download from the market and see if that helps.

The battery life on this is amazing, full charge since 8am, email and twitter undate by the hour, gsync enabled, and two 20 sec phone conversations. 92% battery remaining.

It does seem to be better, but some days its good, other days its not.

Jnwhiteh, the LED continues to flash forever after a message/email notification, is there any way you could look into this?

Not sure this is a big.. it's how the applications are designed, no? I rely on this as well.

I'm glad you enjoy this feature, IMO it would be good to have this as an option or some kind of cut out point.

Its not a biggie tho, I' m thinking more of battery drain.

The LED draws barely nothing, compared to the screen being on for any period of time =)

Guest Stea1thmode
Yep, known issue that I am going to try and look into. You may want to remove it and download from the market and see if that helps.

It does seem to be better, but some days its good, other days its not.

Not sure this is a big.. it's how the applications are designed, no? I rely on this as well.

The LED draws barely nothing, compared to the screen being on for any period of time =)

thanks for the clarification,

gotta back to work b4 i get the sack

Guest isMaskin

the launcher is a lot smoother after a day, so if you think it's "laggy" give it a day or so and have a look at it again. I am one of those whining about "laggy" homescreen and launcher but this rom seems to be a lot smoother after a day.

The rom works flawless for me so far. Only thing I can whine about is the Market graphics are a bit odd (and facebook).

Guest Prime61071

Removal and reinstallation of Google Goggles via the market works fine ;)

Once you've posted there in the correct format (I've done this for telenor dk), I will add them to the apns_conf.xml file. However, you have to be careful considering your 'Tre' is the same as the '3mms' that's already in the file and it definitely can't be called 'Tre', considering it's an MMS APN. It would need to be 'Tre MMS' or such. Let me know once you've got it all worked out!

Considering that the current 3 Sweden apn (should work on all heroes if it works on one, right?) works great and that one is the same, I guess it could just be ignored.

I can confirm that goggles works after reinstallation.

The battery time is great!!

Regarding the lag:

I notice the lag; most often during ~10 s after screen unlock when it has been locked for a while. I have the "Home app in memory" checked in spare parts but I guess that it would, if anything, make it worse.

Guest raburgess

Cheers for the ROM, great work. In my opinion this is just as fast as MCR with the extra benefits of Eclair and is faster than the other AOSP Roms I have tried. On reading the posts I noticed people having trouble with videos, I had the same problem but only with .3gp video files, .mp4 worked fine for me.

I was wondering if there were any themes for this particular Rom or would they have to be ported across to the Hero from the Dream?

Guest Arkymedes

Hello,

First of all thanks for this awesome ROM, the best one in my opinion (and I tried A LOT!)

One quick question though: Is it possible somehow to bind the "call" hard key (the one on the left with a phone picture) to go straight into the dial pad?

Currently, when I press the key, it goes to the call log and I cannot find the option to change that anywhere.

Thanks!

Guest venturerider

jnwhiteh, in your AOSP Eclair thread, you suggest changing some values in the build.prop:

ro.ril.hsxpa=1

ro.ril.gprsclass=10

I assume this applies to any ROM at all, including this one?

Also, can anybody confirm the values for Telus in Canada? I'm pretty sure gprsclass is 10, but I don't know about hsxpa. I know some litterature says Telus has a 3.5G HSPA network. ???

Guest Carl_Brummy
Noticed another minor issue: The little headphone symbol doesn't appear when plugging in the headphones. Audio still goes through them though.

Anyone else get an email from the Android team thanking them for their purchase of a Nexus?

I got the email thanking me! Just wondering when I will receive this 'freebie'...lol ;)

I have been using this new rom all day and sync'd photos from facebook using facebook sync (look at androidfreeware.net and search for sync). It is free and works perfectly. The lag is hardly noticable, and I have no problems. There is a little delay when scrolling up the app launcher but not on the screens. Think people are not considering this is very probably as jnwhiteh said, a debug release containing all the bloat from including debug symbolic info and verbose logs etc...

I am quite impressed.

Jnwhiteh, could the camera app and the preview be upset by switching the buffered image from one orientation to the next, causing the bitmap rows of data to be written wrapped instead of being aligned to the original image boundary? Example is when you rotate the display on gallery it is corrupted, but rotating back is ok again... Could be a double buffering bug or something similar or the app is not actually picking up the modified dimensions correctly on rotate, but does on launch....

Carl.

Guest Arkymedes

Ok, another thing now.

I cannot download any app from the marketing, the screen stays on "Starting download" forever and ever, and every app that I queue the download, just keep stacking and stacking with no download starting.

I wiped, rebooted, everything and nothing.

Any ideas?

Guest jnwhiteh
any option to disable mobile internet ?

You can dial *#*#4636#*#* and go to Phone Info.. there is a button at the bottom that can disable the radio, but nothing that will just disable mobile data. I'd like to get that option added in, but I've yet to figure out just how to do it (though I have an idea). A market app called APNDroid can do it.

Removal and reinstallation of Google Goggles via the market works fine ;)

Great, thanks for reporting back.

Cheers for the ROM, great work. In my opinion this is just as fast as MCR with the extra benefits of Eclair and is faster than the other AOSP Roms I have tried. On reading the posts I noticed people having trouble with videos, I had the same problem but only with .3gp video files, .mp4 worked fine for me.

I was wondering if there were any themes for this particular Rom or would they have to be ported across to the Hero from the Dream?

I think they'd have to be ported, but I'm not entirely sure..

Hello,

One quick question though: Is it possible somehow to bind the "call" hard key (the one on the left with a phone picture) to go straight into the dial pad?

Currently, when I press the key, it goes to the call log and I cannot find the option to change that anywhere.

I may be able to find the option for that, I just have to look. I'll make a note of this.

jnwhiteh, in your AOSP Eclair thread, you suggest changing some values in the build.prop:

ro.ril.hsxpa=1

ro.ril.gprsclass=10

I assume this applies to any ROM at all, including this one?

Also, can anybody confirm the values for Telus in Canada? I'm pretty sure gprsclass is 10, but I don't know about hsxpa. I know some litterature says Telus has a 3.5G HSPA network. ??

Yes, those same changes apply here. I'll make the note in the thread.

I have been using this new rom all day and sync'd photos from facebook using facebook sync (look at androidfreeware.net and search for sync). It is free and works perfectly. The lag is hardly noticable, and I have no problems. There is a little delay when scrolling up the app launcher but not on the screens. Think people are not considering this is very probably as jnwhiteh said, a debug release containing all the bloat from including debug symbolic info and verbose logs etc...

I am quite impressed.

Jnwhiteh, could the camera app and the preview be upset by switching the buffered image from one orientation to the next, causing the bitmap rows of data to be written wrapped instead of being aligned to the original image boundary? Example is when you rotate the display on gallery it is corrupted, but rotating back is ok again... Could be a double buffering bug or something similar or the app is not actually picking up the modified dimensions correctly on rotate, but does on launch....

Well the camera has lots of issues. The HTCCamera works just fine with the same libraries, so it's something in their app or the core that they've changed that makes it work properly. The 5 and 3 MP issues bother me quite a bit more than the 2MP =/.

I cannot download any app from the marketing, the screen stays on "Starting download" forever and ever, and every app that I queue the download, just keep stacking and stacking with no download starting.

I wiped, rebooted, everything and nothing.

None, when I get into this state, a reboot fixes it for me and I've seen it on absolutely every ROM I've tried.

just tried autobrigthness. it does not work. no matter what I choose, the brightness stays at the same level as the controller.

I was 99% sure our device didn't support this feature.. but people we gagging for it so I added it in. I'll remove it =).

Guest Stevie B

Thanks for the ROM and appreciate your efforts. Installed a couple of hours ago...

Am unable to download from the market - stuck on "starting download". Have tried with WIFI and mobile internet (getting 3G and H connections) - with T-Mobile UK ... Can somebody confirm the T-Mobile UK settings please as this might be a starting point

Thx again

On the subject of auto-brightness - personally I loved it on 1.5 derivitives and miss it on the 2.1 ROMs. I think it is a good battery saver too

Edited by Stevie B

Guest pillock

Absolutely love this.... for me the speed is right up there where I'd want it to be, the launches scrolls nicely and homescreens swipe across with no stuttering. Can't really imagine it being smoother.

Battery life seems good, mine's been on for 13 hours now with one 20 minute phone call and a bit of browsing, and it's at 82%.

The only problem I'm having with my phone is Locale crashes when trying to set a network location. logcat seems to point to Google Maps so I'm going to try replacing it with the market version....

But great work ;)

Guest jnwhiteh
Absolutely love this.... for me the speed is right up there where I'd want it to be, the launches scrolls nicely and homescreens swipe across with no stuttering. Can't really imagine it being smoother.

Battery life seems good, mine's been on for 13 hours now with one 20 minute phone call and a bit of browsing, and it's at 82%.

The only problem I'm having with my phone is Locale crashes when trying to set a network location. logcat seems to point to Google Maps so I'm going to try replacing it with the market version....

But great work ;)

Let me know what you find out, I've had no issues with location at all so far!

Guest pillock

Just changed to the market version of Maps, and it's the same. TBH it's probably a Locale issue - they pushed an update to 1.0.6 out the same time I updated to your ROM, so when I went into the market to redownload it was a different version, just a point point update though. They have been making some changes to location, bugfixes according to their blog.

Anyway, I think this is the important bit. Apologies if it misses the point, I'm a logcat newbie

I/[Locale]( 4028): EditSituationActivity: Starting plug-in Activity com.twoforty

fouram.locale.ui.activities.LocationConditionActivity

I/ActivityManager(   91): Starting activity: Intent { act=com.twofortyfouram.loc

ale.intent.action.EDIT_CONDITION cmp=com.twofortyfouram.locale/.ui.activities.Lo

cationConditionActivity (has extras) }

I/dalvikvm( 4028): Could not find method android.view.ScaleGestureDetector.onTou

chEvent, referenced from method com.google.android.maps.MapView.onTouchEvent

W/dalvikvm( 4028): VFY: unable to resolve virtual method 231: Landroid/view/Scal

eGestureDetector;.onTouchEvent (Landroid/view/MotionEvent;)Z

D/dalvikvm( 4028): VFY: replacing opcode 0x6e at 0x001e

D/dalvikvm( 4028): Making a copy of Lcom/google/android/maps/MapView;.onTouchEve

nt code (96 bytes)

E/dalvikvm( 4028): Could not find class 'android.view.ScaleGestureDetector', ref

erenced from method com.google.android.maps.MapView.setup

W/dalvikvm( 4028): VFY: unable to resolve new-instance 84 (Landroid/view/ScaleGe

stureDetector;) in Lcom/google/android/maps/MapView;

D/dalvikvm( 4028): VFY: replacing opcode 0x22 at 0x0065

D/dalvikvm( 4028): Making a copy of Lcom/google/android/maps/MapView;.setup code

(272 bytes)

D/AndroidRuntime( 4028): Shutting down VM

W/dalvikvm( 4028): threadid=3: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x4

001e178)

E/[Locale]( 4028): LocaleExceptionHandler.MyExceptionHandler.uncaughtException()

: Uncaught exception handled

For what it's worth, all other location based services work - Google Maps on wifi, cell and GPS all work perfectly as expected.

If I get chance later on tonight, I might do a nandroid backup, switch back to my old CKDroid setup, update Locale to 1.0.6 and see what happens. Need my phone for a while first though. Thanks for the response!

Edited by pillock

Guest masterpfa
Thanks for the ROM and appreciate your efforts. Installed a couple of hours ago...

Am unable to download from the market - stuck on "starting download". Have tried with WIFI and mobile internet (getting 3G and H connections) - with T-Mobile UK ... Can somebody confirm the T-Mobile UK settings please as this might be a starting point

Thx again

+1

Same for me ;)

Edited by masterpfa

start "Google Talk" this should solve the problem. it does this always when I get this problem.

wth? had the same problem, and starting google talk solved it for me too.

thx