CyanogenMod for HTC Hero (GSM) v1.0 (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Guest pillock

Locale / Maps issue update:

Reverted to CKDroid for a few minutes, updated both Locale and Maps to the same versions I have on Cyanogen (1.0.6 and 3.4).

Everything works great there.

Back to Cyanogen, the same crash occurs in that specific place.

It's not a dealbreaker, the rest of the ROM more than makes up for it. But it is just a teeny bit annoying.

Guest masterpfa
start "Google Talk" this should solve the problem. it does this always when I get this problem.

How the heck did you find/work that one out...

Nay matter working now, cheers ;)

Guest Arkymedes
I recorded the laggs on the homescreen...but even the 7D was to slow...but i think you can notice that this is not like the homescreen of Android 1.5....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm9adJhtU4o

Yes, I noticed the lag too. It doesn't bother me much but it exists. Just compare it with an iPhone 3GS for example. It's much snappier when playing around with the phone itself, specially the home screen. You can notice specially when opening the launcher and try to roll down the app list. Lag is not that "relative" as you might say. Even though some people cannot notice small amounts of lag like the difference between a game running from 40 to 60 FPS, this not apply to this case, since it's very noticeable.

A nice way to notice it is having a background with some picture and moving your fingers switching screens. Pay attention to the background, it will move quite choppy.

Guest venturerider
I was 99% sure our device didn't support this feature.. but people we gagging for it so I added it in. I'll remove it =).

Auto-brightness works with MCR 3.1. It's also part of stock HTC ROMs, so the hardware definitely supports it.

Guest vorcigernix
I recorded the laggs on the homescreen...but even the 7D was to slow...but i think you can notice that this is not like the homescreen of Android 1.5....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm9adJhtU4o

Oh man, you are crazy ;) Is there any particular reason why you drag screen to half and then stop?

I think you just don't like fact that AOSP UI behave differently, but if you can't live with that, you have to use some Sense ROM.

Guest vorcigernix
Auto-brightness works with MCR 3.1. It's also part of stock HTC ROMs, so the hardware definitely supports it.

yes..it worked on factory ROM from HTC.

Guest Blackfish
Is there any particular reason why you drag screen to half and then stop?

Oh come on...i only did that to get more movement...

But it makes no difference how i show you that...there is no difference...

Guest Robert Davidson

Installed as per instructions, usual bugs at start but after reading all the threads everything now working as expected. Very impressed with this rom, will keep using it and report back if any problems arise.

Guest arshad14
jnwhiteh, in your AOSP Eclair thread, you suggest changing some values in the build.prop:

ro.ril.hsxpa=1

ro.ril.gprsclass=10

Also, can anybody confirm the values for Telus in Canada? I'm pretty sure gprsclass is 10, but I don't know about hsxpa. I know some litterature says Telus has a 3.5G HSPA network. ???

gprsclass I think is 12 because the Motorola Milestone we're getting on Telus is a class 12. As for the hsxpa, I am not sure about the value for that.

Guest masterpfa
anyway that i can use HTC_IME touch keyboard with this ROM?

thanx

Yes you can, installed Clicker.apk and HTC_IME.apk.

My fingers are just too large for the stock android keyboard.

I've had no issues with the HTC keyboard ;)

Edited by masterpfa

Guest Blackfish
That looks smooth as a babys bum.

Because the camera is TO SLOW...but hey if you have no problems with that(and you have this laggs to), great...

Edited by Blackfish

I've installed this ROM yesterday morning and must say I really like it!!

it's my first ROM without Sense UI but it's great

gonna keep this a while ;)

thanks for the great work Cyanogen & jnwhiteh!

@jnwhiteh,

The rom is amazingly fast and smooth!

everything I care about works great and it's definitely a keeper, at least until the official HTC rom with SENSE.

Thank you very much!

Guest pillock
Because the camera is TO SLOW...but hey if you have no problems with that(and you have this laggs to), great...

I'm not being funny with you, but what do you want out of this?

I've used pretty much every ROM there is out there for months now - MCR2.8/2.9/3.0/3.1/3.2. Three flavours of Kagudroid. Two different CKDroids. Villain. Hikari. More AOSPs than I care to remember. Seriously, I flash something new most days and I always wipe between ROMs. So with that in mind, this is one of the smoothest scrolling ROMs I've seen, certainly THE smoothest Eclair ROM. MCR maybe equals it on the Cupcake front, but it's not tremendously quicker.

What your video shows is very slight input lag, not rendering lag. It's not jerking around trying to redraw the screen, it's just a few milliseconds behind reading where your finger is. But all Hero ROMs have this, it's down to the fact HTC designed the thing with a fairly crappy old CPU and no GPU capabilities and scrolling a screen is a fairly stressful thing for it to be doing. So please stop comparing it to an iPhone, which has a different class of processor. And stop expecting jnwhiteh to magically 'fix' something that isn't broken, there's far more important things that we can help him fix.

Again, sorry if this comes across as harsh.

Guest Blackfish
And stop expecting jnwhiteh to magically 'fix' something that isn't broken, there's far more important things that we can help him fix.

And you stop saying there is nothing broken when there is a problem...but feel free to use this ROM...nobody prevents you from using it...

Guest jnwhiteh
is there a way to get a2sd working in this rom? i enabled it in adb but it made no difference, do i have to go and repartition my sd card?

It won't do it for you, no.