(another) A2SD question

Guest fredphoesh

Guest fredphoesh

Hi guys,

I have flashed my Hero with v3.1 (A2SD is automatically included aparently) and the rom works fine, but when I install my apps, I see the system drive go down from 146mb to 132... etc.

I partitioned the 8gb sd card using the Android System Recovery (by pressing Home-Power) Build RA-Hero-v1.5.2 and chose to Partition SD.

From there the Android System Recovery ASR tool suggests some default values, I accepted the first and increased the second to 640mb, the rest going to Fat32.

Is there something I did wrong? Is that ASR tool good enough to format and create an SD disk with 3 partitions as they need to be just from that simple procedure I followed?

How would I know if I am using any of that 640mb partition as I dont think Astro can "see" it. When I plug my phone into my PC I just see the SD card with the update.zip file in it and .footprints and rosie_scroll folders.

Tx all,

Mark.

Guest andy-hooks

Hello as long as you made the i think is ext 2 or 3 then the apps 2sd is working. You will notice the phone memory going down as this is where the cache is saved to hope this helps

Guest fredphoesh
Hello as long as you made the i think is ext 2 or 3 then the apps 2sd is working. You will notice the phone memory going down as this is where the cache is saved to hope this helps

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

I followed the format sd card procedure, there was no choice about ext2 or 3, but I presume it was doing that since there was one small partition of 36mb or something, then the one which was 640mb, which I assume was the ext2 or 3 partition, then the fat32 for the remainder.

If, as you say, the system is used for cache, then surely the space should fluctuate and increase when there are no apps running, taking up cache space? This does not seem to happen. The system drive is at 126mb and it went down with each installation.

Is there an app which can view the ext2 or ext3 partition?

Tx

Mark.

Guest andy-hooks

Hey there sorry i was wrong about the cache thing. But you will still notice the phone memory going down as everytime you install an app some parts get written to the phone. You should be able to install lota of apps without too much trouble as before i put a custom rom on my hero i couldnt even have 20+ apps as it took up too much space. I can even have copilot on my phone now and that takes up 14mb. But yeah the phone memory does go down but really slowly compared to running stock roms. Hope i have helped you in some way cheers andrew

Guest fredphoesh
type in "df -h" in any terminal app and it will give you a breakdown of your filesystems on your phone.

Thanks Andy.

David, is this an app I have to download from Market?

I have frequently seen loads of script one can type into a Terminal app, but have no idea what that app is, and if its something like Terminal on Windows, how would that connect through the usb to my phone?

Tx

Mark.