Few questions...

Guest AXIS of Reality

Guest AXIS of Reality

Hi all,

Posted this a few hours ago in the generic roms sticky but it's probably more suited to it's own thread. Apologies if the questions have been answered elsewhere.

1) I got my Hero via eBay, and it's an unlocked Orange one. Probably a stupid question but is there any chance wiping it could remove the unlock?

2) I'm wanting to move to a generic rom as many Market apps do not show up at the moment using Modaco 3.1, there are still some paid apps but many of the more professional apps aren't appearing. Would changing to a pre-rooted generic HTC rom fix this?

3) How are radios installed?

Thanks in advance for your help. ;)

Guest Dr. dre
Hi all,

Posted this a few hours ago in the generic roms sticky but it's probably more suited to it's own thread. Apologies if the questions have been answered elsewhere.

1) I got my Hero via eBay, and it's an unlocked Orange one. Probably a stupid question but is there any chance wiping it could remove the unlock?

2) I'm wanting to move to a generic rom as many Market apps do not show up at the moment using Modaco 3.1, there are still some paid apps but many of the more professional apps aren't appearing. Would changing to a pre-rooted generic HTC rom fix this?

3) How are radios installed?

Thanks in advance for your help. ;)

Following are the Answers

1) No! Wiping won't put the Sim lock back on your phone. Why do you wanna do that ?

2) That's not a problem with the Modaco ROM, Do a full wipe on your phone and then install the ROM

3) Radios are installed the same way as the update.zip method

Edited by Dr. dre

Guest pillock

1) You're fine, not even flashing a Radio ROM will put a SIMlock back on.

2) There may be a better way of fixing it than going generic, the shouldn't be any missing apps in the MCR Market. Have you had a flick through the MCR thread to see if it's a problem reported by anyone else? Regardless, if you want to try a genric ROM then yes, a pre-rooted update.zip is the way forward. The only thing I wouldn't do in your shoes is to get an RUU update from HTC directly, since this will not be rooted, and could even close backdoors that means it's much harder to re-root. Always look for an update.zip ;)

3) Same way - either rename to update.zip, or if your recovery image supports it just 'browse for update' and choose your radio. Note the process is slightly different once it starts, it'll reboot to finish the install, but just wait till it gets you back to your homescreen and you'll be fine.

Guest AXIS of Reality

Thanks for the help, got my Hero working how I want now. =)

Coming from the PSP custom firmware and iPod Touch jailbreaking scenes, this is the first where new members aren't flamed for trying to learn, haha.