Creating custom themes by modifying framework-res.apk

Guest McSpoon

Proof of concept

(ie, ugly, but it works ;))

Was the lockscreen just a image and u changed it? tbh it looks nicer like that lool

Can u try a black notification bar? Just Invert the original or u can try one like a Hero? Thanks!

Was the lockscreen just a image and u changed it? tbh it looks nicer like that lool

Can u try a black notification bar? Just Invert the original or u can try one like a Hero? Thanks!

That was he first thing I tried, but turns out I did the wrong file ;)

I'll go look for it now, I'll report back in a bit.

That was he first thing I tried, but turns out I did the wrong file :(

I'll go look for it now, I'll report back in a bit.

Thank you :D, Ive been wanting a black bar to go with my Espresso theme lol, looks so wierd with a white bar and everything else black ;)

:( :D :D B) :D

;) :D

That is just what I wanted! Whats so ugly about it lol, it looks nice! Just needs the lil notification icons be changed, if u can do that

Edited by Spooke

:D :D B) :D :D

;) :D

That is just what I wanted! Whats so ugly about it lol, it looks nice! Just needs the lil notification icons be changed, if u can do that

:D

I can edit all of those. I will make a little tutorial on every thing that I had to do to get it working, it was pretty simple.

So you want it to fit in with the espresso theme, then? I'll see what I can do :(

:(

I can edit all of those. I will make a little tutorial on every thing that I had to do to get it working, it was pretty simple.

So you want it to fit in with the espresso theme, then? I'll see what I can do :D

Yes please ;), If u can make it look exactly like the Hero one

Thanks

Edit- Like this one,http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=625491

And if u can try the lock screen maybe?

ThankS!!

Edited by Spooke

Guest John Hamelink
:(

So you want it to fit in with the espresso theme, then? I'll see what I can do ;)

Great, I can't wait for it! :D

OMAGAWD! Its perfect ;) :D, How did u do it?

As ive seen before the time is still black, Do u have any idea how to make it white?

Thank you!

Edited by Spooke

Guest McSpoon
As ive seen before the time is still black, Do u have any idea how to make it white?

The colour for that is in /res/layout/status_bar.xml However it's a binary XML file so it's very difficult to edit. The good news is that the T-Mobile version of that file is exactly the same except it specifies the clock digits should be drawn in white. Which is perfect!

I've attached the T-Mobile version of status_bar.xml file. It might be possible to drop that into Rem1x's framework-res.apk thereby overwriting the existing /res/layout/status_bar.xml

Edit: In case the attachment doesn't work I've also put it into a zip file on megaupload. (Probably better to use this megaupload link)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QFNCFK5S

status_bar.xml

Edited by McSpoon

The colour for that is in /res/layout/status_bar.xml However it's a binary XML file so it's very difficult to edit. The good news is that the T-Mobile version of that file is exactly the same except it specifies the clock digits should be drawn in white. Which is perfect!

I've attached the T-Mobile version of status_bar.xml file. It might be possible to drop that into Rem1x's framework-res.apk thereby overwriting the existing /res/layout/status_bar.xml

Thank you, mate, might just be what I'm needing!

edit: It did fix a bit. But the bar won't open now ;)

Edited by Rem1x

Sorry, just bricked the phone, unbricking as we speak!

I'm going to stop with the text atm, as that's what's causing me grief and go straight to the launcher, I'm going to use a custom launcher, better then the stock one!

Guest McSpoon
Sorry, just bricked the phone, unbricking as we speak!

I'm going to stop with the text atm, as that's what's causing me grief and go straight to the launcher, I'm going to use a custom launcher, better then the stock one!

Eek. On second thoughts, I think it might not be possible to switch the XML files. I can provide the U8230 version of status_bar.xml if you need to restore that.

Unfortunately I think it's going to be difficult to change the clock colour. ;)

Guest P!nback1
Unfortunately I think it's going to be difficult to change the clock colour. ;)

Hey guys, my very first post!!!

Well heres an easy work around for that... might not be too practical, but if you can't change the clock colour, why not create a little box for the clock in lighter colour... so that the statusbar is black and behind the clock a lighter colour...

lol, understand? Think i just confused myself there!

Guest McSpoon
Well heres an easy work around for that... might not be too practical, but if you can't change the clock colour, why not create a little box for the clock in lighter colour... so that the statusbar is black and behind the clock a lighter colour...

Awesome idea! :D I like that. Sounds like a cunning plan.

BTW, if anyone is interested in pursuing the issue of changing the text colours, there is a Java tool called AXMLPrinter2.jar which will convert the binary XML file into a human-readable XML. Then you'll be able to read the contents. And if you use it on the T-Mobile status_bar.xml you'll discover this section at the end. It specifies the font properties for the clock.

<com.android.server.status.DateView

android:textSize="16.0sp"

android:textStyle="0x00000001"

android:textColor="#FFFFFFFF"

Notice textColor="#FFFFFFFF" which is white. To modify that and repackage it would probably involve getting quite deep into Android coding. ;)

Guest John Hamelink

oXGw7.png

I've got it working too by editing the archive ;) No signing needed! Note the battery Icon and the top bar.

Edited by John Hamelink

Guest P!nback1

Okay, so i wanna have a go at this... but one question... im using linux, how do i mount the filesystem to edit it straight from the phone or do i actually have to edit the downloaded rom and then flash it to the phone?

Guest McSpoon
Okay, so i wanna have a go at this... but one question... im using linux, how do i mount the filesystem to edit it straight from the phone or do i actually have to edit the downloaded rom and then flash it to the phone?

You can use the ADB tool to transfer files to and from the phone. The wiki has details about it. Then you will be able to grab a copy of framework-res.apk from the phone, make changes to it, and then push it back onto the device.

Guest P!nback1
You can use the ADB tool to transfer files to and from the phone. The wiki has details about it. Then you will be able to grab a copy of framework-res.apk from the phone, make changes to it, and then push it back onto the device.

You are a legend!!!!! Cheers mate

Edited by P!nback1

Guest John Hamelink
Sweet, how did you do it?

I simply opened the archive in fileroller, edited using gimp, saved the archive, then:

adb shell reboot recovery

#*wait for phone to reboot*

adb shell mount -o rw /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system

adb shell rm /system/framework/framework-res.apk

adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk

adb shell reboot

I also put this in a shellscript to speed things up. It works on the bootsplashes tooo, ill take a picture of mine tomorrow.

Edited by John Hamelink