Scary Liquid?Scary Screen!Horrible Pictures!

Guest hearthewind

Guest hearthewind

I am using HTC Hero now.I found Android fantastic but disappointed with the cpu and the resolution of hero.528MHZ HVGA,dear god.

Recently I found Acer Liquid which in my heart is a pretty cheerful mobile.And I'd like to get myself a Liquid.But the experience of some chinese customers really scared me.

Here's some pictures.

10020300234bae674580e0a472.jpg

10011503119f00db18f334420a.jpg

It was said that if Liquid was dropped on the floor the screen will turn like this. ;)

Liquid is really attractive!!!3.5 inch WVGA screen Snapdragon processer

But I am really afraid of that!

I heard that these liquids that have such problem are produced in HK.I'm wondering if cellphones produced in Europe or America are just fine.

You know,in China,a cellphone like hero or liquid will get no free repairment(I don't know how to say it in English =.=) because these are not on sale in China(Well you understand that).It cost $200 to get a new screen!!!!By the way in China YouTube Twitter and Facebook are all unavailble,so Hero's features are of no value for me.

I just want to know that is your Liquid like that?Is there any case like that?

And...Is Liquid's shell too soft?Is the keys too soft?I don't want a cellphone like a plastic toy!

Thanks~

Guest three_pineapples

The liquid isn't that strong, but i haven't heard of that weird screen bug before!

The worst i've seen was someone dropped their phone onto a hard floor and the glass protecting the screen cracked!!! But the screen itself still performed perfectly as far as i'm aware.

You could import one from Europe (clove.co.uk for instance) but it's likely that it won't support chinese language, only european ones (english, russian, spanish, french)

You can buy cases for the liquid, not sure how much protection they offer though.

To be honest it depends on wether you think you'll drop your phone often? I just put mine in my pocket and make sure it's never in a position to fall out or be dropped. But if i was always dropping my phone i probably wouldn't buy a liquid ;)

Guest emerald7086

a friendly reminder:

liquids are made in china :D , in fact i don't think products like mobile phone would ever be produced in HK nowadays as manufacturing died long time ago...

btw,

1. liquids are no solid-built machine, esp the covering glass

2. there are reports of defect, surely, AND i don't think there are indestructible products...

3. as a HK user, it is shame to note quite a lot users would (habitually) leveled-up personal anger (even it's one's own fault) into some kind of smear, while some are using this for branding war... ;)

4. so...judge by yourself

Edited by emerald7086

Guest luthepa1

Looks like the LCD is damaged and leaking due to damage from something (maybe the sudden shock/impact of being dropped on the floor).

I had a similar thing when I dropped my iPhone and cracked the glass and need to replace. Then when replacing the glass I did not understand fully how the LCD part clipped on and in removing put too much pressure on the back of the LCD (not the glass cover) and bent the LCD a little. The result was in the middle of the screen the liquid cystal leaks and looked like a black blob (similar to the 2 corners in the pic above). So I am surprised in the pics above that while the LCD is damaged the glass front is not cracked. But I guess it is still possible if the phone is dropped on its corners and also to do with how the components are packaged inside.

I have no issues with my Acer Liquid and if the phone is treated respectfully then I see no reason why there should be any concern. I mean no more concern than any other LCD smart phone. But I do have to admit the positioning of the Acer Liquids power button is not conveinent and is does not pertrude like the camera button thus making it even more difficult to press and as a result, if you are trying to unlock with power button using one hand, I have almost had it jump out of my hand a few times now. So I can fully understand how people might accidentally drop it. Acer really need to address the button layout on their phone! Even position them on the front half of the phone instead of on the back half.

to be honest if you want quality acer will not be the one.

they just sucks at everything for a cheaper price tag

well i sold my acer liquid to get a acer laptop. and ends up the lcd on the note book is the worst i have ever seen

;)

the black light leaking is so bad .... i have never seen anything liek this

Guest scrap2434

Well, I can join the ranks it seems. Although mine has pretty hypercolor dots all over that top right hand corner now after I just bounced it across a basketball court... Now I guess I am going to have to send it to the UK for repair... yay :|

**Wonder if there is a weakness in the top right corner because of the headphone jack ????

Edited by scrap2434

Guest westenlive

hi all...

i have a question...

i brake my liquid screen, and now i want know how much this component...

thanks for all Answers

ps. i live in italy... thanks

Edited by westenlive

I have dropped my liquid ~1 meter in wooden floor (+ some drops in the the snow/ice) without any trouble but it is very bad build quality and I'm not surprised that some people have problems like that.

Guest scrap2434

So Acer Australia have no support for phones... not good.

I just filled out a repair/warranty form on Acer UK site and apparently they will get back to me in 1 business day, so hopefully there won't be an issue and I can send it back there for repair.

Guest scrap2434

Well, I emailed Acer Australia and got this reply:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for using ACER Helpdesk.

I do apologise, but ACER Australia hasn't released any ACER phones yet. We won't be able to repair the unit. We haven't received a confirmed released date for the phones yet.

Best Regards,

Technical Support Department

Acer Computers Australia

So then I emailed Acer UK and I got THIS reply:

To solve your issue, please follow the instructions given below:

Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer. Regarding your enquiry, I would request you to contact Acer Support in Australia. As this is the Acer UK support which you have reached. Thank You. Regards Acer Technical Support Team Pease contact us for further information. Please do not reply to this e-mail. Your e-mail will not be answered. If you require a response please e-mail our support team on the address below. Opening Times Mon – Fri 09:00 to 17:30 Tel: 0870 853 1000 Fax: 0870 853 1004 Email: [email protected]

Regards,

Acer Support.

FUN TIMES ACER !!!!

Guest Jaffar1245

I've dropped mine too, similar black blobs in 3/4 corners and a nice rainbow of pixels at the top. I sent mine in for repair and the sent me a bill for ~£450 the phone only cost £330 new, so I said not to repair it and am just using the broken screen. They say that £450 was the price for a whole new phone since they didn't have spare LCDs for the phone yet.

Guest petoulachi

I could take a picture of mine too.

The very very strange thing with mine is that the black spot is not the same size everytime. Sometimes it's really small (just the last minute of the time is not readable), sometimes it's bigger (can't read minutes AND hours).

I though it's bigger right after I put it on my pocket and go outside. Maybe the screen don't like to be shacked ?

Guest scrap2434
I could take a picture of mine too.

The very very strange thing with mine is that the black spot is not the same size everytime. Sometimes it's really small (just the last minute of the time is not readable), sometimes it's bigger (can't read minutes AND hours).

I though it's bigger right after I put it on my pocket and go outside. Maybe the screen don't like to be shacked ?

LCDs are a "liquid crystal" so not quite a solid and not quite a liquid so it has the ability to move around and they are sensitive to temperatures, so that will be why this black blob changes a bit.

I did say in one of my emails to Acer that they are going to have to do a recall on the phone. Just from this forum there is 4 screens I know of all with the same symptoms and all in the same spot, so how many phones are there out in the world that aren't on Modaco with this issue.... Acer's first Android dream could turn into a nightmare if they ain't careful on this, and I guarnatee I will keep pushing until I get what I deem as a satisfactory outcome.