Scary Liquid?Scary Screen!Horrible Pictures!

Guest hearthewind

have the same problem with my liquid without doing anything like dropping etc, just carrying it in my pocket, so i sent it back to expansys for repair/exchange.

i'll see what they'll do, hopefully they get as much requests for warranty/repair that they will write to acer by themselves and a recall becomes more likely.

it isn't acceptable that so many phones crash either by themselves/in pocket or by a drop from one foot height.

anyways, it isn't too bad that my liquid is away for some weeks since i should normally learn for my high school degree ;)

Guest kowloon5

I am a user from Hong Kong.

Our organization has been receiving cases from Hong Kong, Mainland China and Macau about cases similar to the above mentioned ones. All report that there are black spots appearing on the top right hand corner of the phone and the area keeps spreading.

I have taken one of the reported phones to the telecommunication company and the repair centre of Acer in Hong Kong. The salesman from the telecommunication company honestly told me that there were a lot of such defect reports from customers recently. And the staff from the repair centre of Acer told me that the LCD panel was damaged and the liquid inside leaked. He said that all damages of the LCD panels would most likely be judged as USER’S FAULT. I asked him why my phone became like that even I never dropped or crashed it. He answered that the LCD might already be damaged if you put it in your bag and someone bumped into it. Even a Tofu is stronger than that. He asked me to pay $1,200 HK dollars ($150 US dollars) and he would change the LCD panel for me immediately.

I think that the reply from Acer is not reasonable. The quality of the phone does not meet a reasonable standard. It is unacceptable that the phones become like that due to minor crash or even “naturally” break. Moreover, it may be too much a coincidence that all damages occur at the top right hand corner. I think that it may be a manufacturing defect.

We are now collecting cases and will take collective action against Acer soon. If any of the affected users would like to join this action, please email [email protected] or contact Mr. Ka Wai, CHAN on (852) 3481 1568.

Alliance for Kowloon 5 Districts Residents

Guest Charlton22

I have no such problem until this time! I think I should wait for something similar :/

On the top right, there is the 3.5mm jack, that may be the most vulnerable part.

It don't make any sense the the screen is accidentally broken at the same point...

I'm 100% surely that its a manufacturing defect...

We will all wait for a recall....

Guest Rainman168

Mine have the same problem, but I dropped my Liquid to hard floor with the top edge down. It took me HKD900 (~USD120) to replace the LCD while Touch screen was working fine.

Guest Timmay!

I must be one lucky bastard.

I was jumping over my side fence as I had locked myself out of my house - had my phone in my shirt pocket.

Was horrifying watching it shoot up out of my pocket as I jumped over and from about 2m in the air it landed on the bottom right hand corner on CONCRETE!

No damage to the phone whatsoever than some nicks/marks in the plastic casing.

Screen still works perfectly

I had the same problem after dropping the phone from about 1m on the floor. Acer Italy repaired it for free in about 1 month. They know it's a production problem, the screen is too weak, and many other people had the same problem here in italy.

Guest Ricky Lui
I am using HTC Hero now.I found Android fantastic but disappointed with the cpu and the resolution of hero.528MHZ HVGA,dear god.

Recently I found Acer Liquid which in my heart is a pretty cheerful mobile.And I'd like to get myself a Liquid.But the experience of some chinese customers really scared me.......

a friendly reminder:

liquids are made in china :D , in fact i don't think products like mobile phone would ever be produced in HK nowadays as manufacturing died long time ago...

btw,

1. liquids are no solid-built machine, esp the covering glass

2. there are reports of defect, surely, AND i don't think there are indestructible products...

3. as a HK user, it is shame to note quite a lot users would (habitually) leveled-up personal anger (even it's one's own fault) into some kind of smear, while some are using this for branding war... :D

4. so...judge by yourself

Hi hearthewind.

You are not the only one who suffered.

I have even more serious case than you.

See my screen.

Hi emerald7086.

I explain why my screen turn into this.

One day, my Liquid sit tight inside the original soft case. And it was dropped vertically from my desk (Less than 1m from the ground) onto the floor, which is covered with soft carpet.

Then I pick up my Liquid. I don't even think that will cause any problems so I ignored.

Few hours later, I pulled out my phone to check message, I found the screen already turned into this.

I can tell you the force of the fall would just be little harder than a friend tapping your shoulder.

You can simulate the force by knock a wooden door with your liquid. You will see what happens!!!

So I wanna question, why I need a phone which will break the LCD with a little drop?

These things happen daily.

And what I was angry is that at the Acer support site, it stated that the "LCD Leakage is out of the warranty coverage!!!!!!"

Are they expecting this to happen?

I won't treat this as a "fault".

I think a HKD$3xxx device should be able to survive through such accident.

I will still go to HK Acer and see if they will repair my device under the warranty agreement.

Will update here and to let you guys know what level of CS will Acer offer.

post-454140-1266466302_thumb.jpg

post-454140-1266466310_thumb.jpg

Guest Thanas_4

Hello to everyone! I am Thanos from Greece and I just wanted to let you know that I have the same problem! I am really confused now and I dont know if I will send it or not. Here in greece they dont support the mobile phones in Acer! So if I want my phone to be fixed I have to send it to expansys and they will send it to acer france and I will have to wait for 1 - 2 months to get an answer! The problem is that maybe the warranty doesnt cover that and I will have to pay! Actually I wont be able to afford it so please tell me is it going to be in the warranty or not;

Guest Rainman168
Hello to everyone! I am Thanos from Greece and I just wanted to let you know that I have the same problem! I am really confused now and I dont know if I will send it or not. Here in greece they dont support the mobile phones in Acer! So if I want my phone to be fixed I have to send it to expansys and they will send it to acer france and I will have to wait for 1 - 2 months to get an answer! The problem is that maybe the warranty doesnt cover that and I will have to pay! Actually I wont be able to afford it so please tell me is it going to be in the warranty or not;

Hi Thanas, just for your information. I'm Liquid User in Hong Kong. Acer Hong Kong said that replacement of broken LCD is not covered by Warranty. I do not know how Acer France handle this problem.

Guest Thanas_4
Hi Thanas, just for your information. I'm Liquid User in Hong Kong. Acer Hong Kong said that replacement of broken LCD is not covered by Warranty. I do not know how Acer France handle this problem.

Thanks for your reply Rainman. It seems that there is a difference between the acer departments in other countries. I am trying to find a country in europe that changes the phone. I dont know maybe itally will do it. I hope I will cos it will be expensive to change the screen! Its terrible having this problem!

Guest Thanas_4
I am still talking to Acer Italy.

They are aware of the issue. Be patient, I have heard nothing for the last few days because it has been the weekend and the person I have been talking to was at the World Mobile Congress in Barcelona last week. She is back in Italy on Monday (tomorrow) so as soon as I have spoken to her, I shall let you know.

Until then, there is probably no point in doing anything.

Check back in 24 hours, hopefully I have some news to share.

Thanks a lot! I hope everything will be ok at the end and we will get our devices fixed soon! I cant wait for the update on the Android 2.1!!!! I love my liquid Ii just hope it would be less fragile!!!

About the idea of publishing the story in a blog, we could do it in Engadget - if we dont get something from the Acer Italy lets do it.

Guest s.criscio
Well, here is the latest update.

I spoke to Acer Australia, they just told me flat out they can't repair it. Acer UK weren't much more help, they told me I have to send the phone to them for a quote, might be warranty, might not be warranty and I have to pay for it to be sent back to me.

I showed them pictures saying it is a manufacturing fault.... still nothing.

I then wrote an email and I addressed it to a heap of people (including what I believe is the Acer CEO)

Anyway, I got an email response the next day from a lovely lady by the name of Cristina who is the Acer Smartphone Press Officer based in Italy.

She then rang me (whilst she is at the Mobile convention in Barcelona) and told me they are going to fix my problems, most likely by sending me a new phone.

I did have this link in my email and she has seen all the photos and peoples complaints, she informed me that they would contact everyone and sort this out.

Cristina was fantastic and proactive and has gone a long way in restoring my faith in Acer.

I can accept manufacturing faults, that is life. IT was the bad customer service that was most disappointing as well as the thought of having to repair my 2 month old phone out of my own pocket. The thought of being without my phone for over a month wasn't great either......

She also mentioned 2.1....I think she said April, I struggled to understand her a little.

Anyways, kudos to Cristina I say... Thanks :(

Hi, i'm from italy, and i had the same problem. I sent my phone to acer, but they didn't talk about change my phone. They are repairing it. I sent it on the 28/01, but i didn't received anything back. :(

Simone

I am still talking to Acer Italy.

They are aware of the issue. Be patient, I have heard nothing for the last few days because it has been the weekend and the person I have been talking to was at the World Mobile Congress in Barcelona last week. She is back in Italy on Monday (tomorrow) so as soon as I have spoken to her, I shall let you know.

Until then, there is probably no point in doing anything.

Check back in 24 hours, hopefully I have some news to share.

Hi to all,

I don´t know if there are any news...after several emails sent to Acer, well they´re basically ignoring...

As for Acer UK... message edited to be short...

Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.

Regarding your enquiry,

This would be classed as a chargeable repair, the process would be the following.

There will be a £54 charge taken from you before your machine is brought in for repair.

Once you have received the proposal you have the option to reject it, which means the £54 will cover the engineer and couriers fees, and the machine will be returned to you un-repaired.

We can not give estimates of repair costs, under any circumstances, without the machine being diagnosed by an Acer technician

Is this what Acer wants for their customers?

VERY FUN ACER!!!!!!!

Edited by z3u5

Guest Charlton22
Hi to all,

I don´t know if there are any news...after several emails sent to Acer, well they´re basically ignoring...

As for Acer UK... message edited to be short...

Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.

Regarding your enquiry,

This would be classed as a chargeable repair, the process would be the following.

There will be a £54 charge taken from you before your machine is brought in for repair.

Once you have received the proposal you have the option to reject it, which means the £54 will cover the engineer and couriers fees, and the machine will be returned to you un-repaired.

We can not give estimates of repair costs, under any circumstances, without the machine being diagnosed by an Acer technician

Is this what Acer wants for their customers?

VERY FUN ACER!!!!!!!

What an after sale service! They know how to loose costumers!

I heard that Acer had a very bad after customer care for I bought my liquid, but I never taught it was this much!

£54 for an inspection? -- COME ON ACER!!!

Guest Thanas_4

In my case (I had sent an email to christina from italy after hearing that she was helpful and after I received an email from her telling me that she forwarded my problem in acer grecce - she was really kind and she told me to contact her if I need anything and if I want to tell her how did it go) I just receiver an email from Acer Support Greece!!!! (they are the ones that were really unkind to me furthermore said that they cant say anything concerning mobile phones cos they dont cover them in Greece) and they asked for some information such as my name ect and my phone's serial number and other numbers. They also asked me to explain the problem. I sent everything together with a link of this topic so they can see that everyone here has the same problem. It cant be our fault as everybody has exactly the same problem in the top right cornen! I hope that they will reply soon and that they will have something nice to tell me otherwise I will think seriously to post the whole story on engadget (we could do that together if nothing happens with our cases). :(

Edited by Thanas_4

Guest Thanas_4

They did reply! And christina told me that I wont have to pay anything for the courier or the repair. Acer Italy has been surpisingly good to me! They opened a DHL acount for me to senf my phone to Milan for free so they can fix that. I am really happy and if all those things are true I will have my phone fixed for free and shipped to me back. I advice everyone that is from Europe and in their countries the dont fix the problem under warranty to contact acer Italy.

if your in aus its worth buying from mobicity when issues like this are present. They have their own australian warranty where theyll repair the phones if they can and if not replace it. Bought mine from them, think they went up about $70 since then though. They are a little more pricey than the ebay sellers however..

Guest Charlton22
They did reply! And christina told me that I wont have to pay anything for the courier or the repair. Acer Italy has been surpisingly good to me! They opened a DHL acount for me to senf my phone to Milan for free so they can fix that. I am really happy and if all those things are true I will have my phone fixed for free and shipped to me back. I advice everyone that is from Europe and in their countries the dont fix the problem under warranty to contact acer Italy.

Thanks alot for sharing with us Thanas_4, Please keep us updated during the whole period.

I live in Malta, its very near Italy, so shipping is not expensive. And if the shipping is paid by Acer its a plus+++!!

Good Luck and hope you get your Liquid back soon FIXED for FREE :(

Would you please give us Christina's contact for future reference if needed?

Thanks & Regards

C. Bonello

Be nice to your phone, there should have no problem at all. :(

If you ask why all the broken LCDs are at the top right hand corner, because it's the weakest point.

But weakest point did not mean it is a defect.

If you mean to drop it often, buy a Nokia 6150 classic. :(

Guest Borkata

Hello Thanas. I am from Bulgaria and just bought Acer A1 and hope not to have this defect.

The phone I bought by internet shop in bulgaria, but it seems to be HK version. What version is yours?

I have also a proposition to the people with the problem: why not try to get here a list with serial numbers and see if there is a certain batch with factory defect.

Edited by Borkata