Android 2.1 with sense soon????

Guest sundials

Guest RaiderX303

they havent abandoned espresso, that will be the ui thats used on the HTC Espresso phone which is the same spec as the htc hero but with a slide out keyboard, and as the standard sense doesnt rotate, they needed one that does

Guest stevenz

As always, it could be tomorrow, next week, next month, or even never. The most accurate date we've been given is sometime in the 1st quarter of the year.

Guest masterpfa
As always, it could be tomorrow, next week, next month, or even never. The most accurate date we've been given is sometime in the 1st quarter of the year.

I agree, the one complaint I have with the release of Android OS is it is so fragmented, I thought things were bad with WM OS (OK washing my mouth out now!). Currently we have out there 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.0.1 & 2.1, surely to conquer the SmartPhone market there should be a unified release that being 2.1 for all and as it is working on many phones already, in some form or another, it is obviously workable.

I gave up holding my breath a long time ago, I just look out for the latest Custom ROMS.

HTC you carry on taking your time, I mean in this day and age us HTC Hero owners are happy to still be running 1.5 ;)

Edited by masterpfa

Guest Blackfish
HTC Hero owners are happy to still be running 1.5

I am...not very happy but 1.5 is OK for now...or are you missing any essential features of 2.1?

But anyway...damn HTC we have payed for that phone so give us the support...

Edited by Blackfish

I am...not very happy but 1.5 is OK for now...or are you missing any essential features of 2.1?

define "essential"... there is nothing we NEED to survive in 2.1, then again for what do we need portable phones at all?

Guest masterpfa

But anyway...damn HTC we have payed for that phone so give us the support...

That was TONGUE IN CHEEK :D

The whole quote was "HTC you carry on taking your time, I mean in this day and age us HTC Hero owners are happy to still be running 1.5 ;) "

Edited by masterpfa

Guest Lordsmiff

I think to a certain degree, you guys need to understand that some phones aren't going to be upgraded indefinitely - it certainly wasn't the case with WinMo - some carriers didn't even bother upgrading ever on even new phones (yes, T-Mobile UK, I'm looking at you and the Touch Dual!). For example, the HTC universal never officially got a WinMo 6 update...

The hero will almost certainly be upgraded but the technology is advancing quickly at the moment (I'm thinking 1GHz snapdragon processors etc...) and there's only so far they can take it. The hero is going to be quickly outdated...

The G1 for example, is pretty much out of the running I think for an update which is why I swapped to a hero...but I think 2.1 will probably be the last official update for the hero...you can't expect them to keep updating for "old" phones when they have new ones coming out all the time - I doubt their software dev team is all that large...

Just my 2p...

Smiffy.

Edited by Lordsmiff

I think to a certain degree, you guys need to understand that some phones aren't going to be upgraded indefinitely - it certainly wasn't the case with WinMo - some carriers didn't even bother upgrading ever on even new phones (yes, T-Mobile UK, I'm looking at you and the Touch Dual!). For example, the HTC universal never officially got a WinMo 6 update...

The hero will almost certainly be upgraded but the technology is advancing quickly at the moment (I'm thinking 1GHz snapdragon processors etc...) and there's only so far they can take it. The hero is going to be quickly outdated...

The G1 for example, is pretty much out of the running I think for an update which is why I swapped to a hero...but I think 2.1 will probably be the last official update for the hero...you can't expect them to keep updating for "old" phones when they have new ones coming out all the time - I doubt their software dev team is all that large...

Just my 2p...

Smiffy.

The specs between the G1, the Magic and the Hero aren't THAT different, are they? I reckon what we're looking at is that the Hero is the end of the 1st Generation of Android phones. The jump to Snapdragon Processors will probably end up defining the second gen and so on. Is my take on it.

I was thinking about making a thread asking why people wanted Android 2.x so badly. All I see here is people moaning about it's absence but I don't actually know what people want from it. If 2.x arrives and the ROM's slower than 1.5 then I could see me staying put.

Guest lundefugl
I agree, the one complaint I have with the release of Android OS is it is so fragmented, I thought things were bad with WM OS (OK washing my mouth out now!). Currently we have out there 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.0.1 & 2.1, surely to conquer the SmartPhone market there should be a unified release that being 2.1 for all and as it is working on many phones already, in some form or another, it is obviously workable.

No thank you. A generic release would have to contain lots of drivers for hardware you don't have in order to also work on all other phones.

No bloat please.

Guest b1ck132
The specs between the G1, the Magic and the Hero aren't THAT different, are they? I reckon what we're looking at is that the Hero is the end of the 1st Generation of Android phones. The jump to Snapdragon Processors will probably end up defining the second gen and so on. Is my take on it.

I was thinking about making a thread asking why people wanted Android 2.x so badly. All I see here is people moaning about it's absence but I don't actually know what people want from it. If 2.x arrives and the ROM's slower than 1.5 then I could see me staying put.

Well, 2 main reasons for me, 1-Better bluetooth drivers, and possibilities(1.5 Bluetooth is like a joke), and 2-Quite a number of Apps are not supporting 1.5 anymore, and people who bought them while they supported 1.5 can't use some of them anymore.

Not even talking about the human instinct to have the latest and the better. =p

Well, 2 main reasons for me, 1-Better bluetooth drivers, and possibilities(1.5 Bluetooth is like a joke), and 2-Quite a number of Apps are not supporting 1.5 anymore, and people who bought them while they supported 1.5 can't use some of them anymore.

Not even talking about the human instinct to have the latest and the better. =p

The final point I can get with.

I've only got one app that's gone to 2.x only and I don't care about Bluetooth. For me, I think it's time to worry even less about 2.x ;)

Guest commodoor

I think that people that want 2.1 have their own reasons, i think only the people who are understanding the difference between 1.5 and 2.1 are raising their voice. And I fully agree with b1ck132, right now the bluetooth s*** it isn't that good.

Like you are saying no one has to upgrading Windows from xp to Win7 OR (linux) go from ubuntu 9.04 to ubuntu 10.04 (when it comes out). no offense, just my thoughts ;)

I think that people that want 2.1 have their own reasons, i think only the people who are understanding the difference between 1.5 and 2.1 are raising their voice. And I fully agree with b1ck132, right now the bluetooth s*** it isn't that good.

Like you are saying no one has to upgrading Windows from xp to Win7 OR (linux) go from ubuntu 9.04 to ubuntu 10.04 (when it comes out). no offense, just my thoughts :D

No offence taken, I just realised I didn't even know what 2.1 would bring or why people were so wound up about it and thought I'd try and find out what other people wanted it for. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it released sooner rather than later.

Guest commodoor
No offence taken, I just realised I didn't even know what 2.1 would bring or why people were so wound up about it and thought I'd try and find out what other people wanted it for. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it released sooner rather than later.

Everyone want to get his hands on Hero 2.1 :D but first (i thought) they where releasing it in December, than it was January, then there where rumors it would com in february. its really frustrating and disappointing.

Guest starfarer

Biggest reason for me is Apps which are being developed without support for older versions of Android. If by mid 2010 still stuck on 1.5 then we can simply stop looking in market.

As an example ;) :D :(

For some reason I had a look on the Market for Maps (I have it installed) and nothing came up.

Searching under publisher name doesn't bring it up but does bring up other Google Apps.

If I use my barcode reader on QR code at http://www.androlib.com/android.applicatio...ps-maps-jw.aspx nothing comes up.

If I uninstall my version of Maps and then choose it from "my downloads" in the market app I can download it but only version 3.1.2 while version 3.3.1 is apparently available.

I suspect the version I have is the latest release for Android 1.5 but I'm still unsure about why I can't find it via a search or a direct link but that if I try to install it via My Downloads it does work. Any clues?

solution

the google maps in the market was updated and only works for 1.6 and above devices. 1.5 devices wont see it.

yeah Bluetooth is big thing. Release notes: http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.0-highlights.html . 2.1 is bug fixes over 2.0. I've tried couple custom 2.1's and I know I'll download it without hesitation if and when released.

Guest Lordsmiff
The specs between the G1, the Magic and the Hero aren't THAT different, are they? I reckon what we're looking at is that the Hero is the end of the 1st Generation of Android phones. The jump to Snapdragon Processors will probably end up defining the second gen and so on.

The difference between the G1 and Magic \ Hero is mainly the ROM space (not free RAM though that is tiny on the G1 as well) - the G1 is pretty much at it's limit (though, one of the things Cyanogen did was to develop, or use, a method for PNG compression \ optimisation which eased the pressure somewhat and allowed development for the G1 to continue).

The magic and hero are second generation Android devices I would say - the G1 being, well, Gen 1 all on it's own ;) Though the hero I would say is a crossover between 2nd and 3rd as it's the first phone where a manufacturer took the standard android OS and showed what it could do with a bit of customisation.

The android platform is now beginning to mature nicely and this can be seen from the large number of android based phones that will be hitting the streets this year, from high end stuff like the nexus to entry level offerings like the tattoo.

So anyway, what I'm trying to say is the hero, while not doomed, is not going to be endlessly supported (well, we'll see how long Paul and the other devs can keep it going for :D

And be patient guys - the software team at HTC have to worry about new devices (read money streams) above devices that have already been paid for and won't generate them any more revenue.

We need to be thankful that we're going to get it all as they're under no obligation to do it.

Having said that, I can't wait for it either ;-)

Oh, and as for bluetooth, get Bluex from the market - works fine for me :(

Cheers,

Smiffy.

Guest Caffeine Dependent
And be patient guys - the software team at HTC have to worry about new devices (read money streams) above devices that have already been paid for and won't generate them any more revenue.

We need to be thankful that we're going to get it all as they're under no obligation to do it.

I don't know... it depends whether they're playing a long or short game. I've supposedly bought a modern smartphone. Because it's relatively sophisticated I do have the sorts of expectations I'd have of a desktop OS. Software updates (at least for the length of the contract) being one of the things that are starting to differentiate a smartphone from a 'feature phone'.

iPhone established this expectation and Palm confirmed it. Look at how pissed iPod Touch users were to have to pay for iPhone OS 3.0. Part of the premium you pay when you buy the phone is the promise of future updates.

If there's one thing that's put me off the Android platform, it's a phone that's less than 6 months old and was billed as a flagship being left out in the cold. My current phone may not generate HTC any more revenue, but whether I choose an HTC phone next time and the time after that will.

Guest Lordsmiff

I agree and i think HTC will which is why we will get an update but we have to accept that in an economic climate like this, it's better for them to prioritise new money than old or there might not be a next HTC phone ;)

We won't be out in the cold for long but you'll want to be looking for a new winter coat before the year is out ;-)

Smiffy.