T-Mobile UK HSDPA only giving me >380kbs

Guest FurryPotato

Guest FurryPotato

I'm using the latest JU radio and it seems no mater what ROM I use (Modaco or Cyonagen) when I do a speed test ( Using Speed Test app) then the max download speed I get is around 360-380. Strangely, upload speed is around 500 !

I wanted to see what speed others are getting and on what ROM's and radios.

I'm reluctant to reflash other older radios as I had a radio flash go wrong and brick my phone a couple of months back....

If anyone else could report their speeds on T-Mobile UK thanks. I have a feeling its the JU radio casuing it but would like conformation.

Guest spence91

I just downloaded an entire album from android Amazon MP3 store application and that took about 3-5 mins. Very quick indeed but then i'm in central london so i guess reception is probably quite good.

I use the latest radio and the latest modaco custom ROM, i have no idea if this has made a difference in speed since i never measured it beforehand.

I'm using the latest JU radio and it seems no mater what ROM I use (Modaco or Cyonagen) when I do a speed test ( Using Speed Test app) then the max download speed I get is around 360-380. Strangely, upload speed is around 500 !

I wanted to see what speed others are getting and on what ROM's and radios.

I'm reluctant to reflash other older radios as I had a radio flash go wrong and brick my phone a couple of months back....

If anyone else could report their speeds on T-Mobile UK thanks. I have a feeling its the JU radio casuing it but would like conformation.

does the H stay on when doing the speedtest or does it flick between 3g and H?

Guest Jonnyw2k

I've got a nexus one and ive noticed this

My download is arround 400 and my upload is around 600 i think its more a t-mobile issue than a phone issue

Guest FurryPotato

It stays as H symbol the whole time of the speed test.

I know that when I first had the phone in september or so last year that H gave me high download speeds ( up to 2Mbs).

I might flash back to standard ROM and an older radio to see if there is a difference before I cal T-Mobile.

Guest Jonnyw2k
It stays as H symbol the whole time of the speed test.

I know that when I first had the phone in september or so last year that H gave me high download speeds ( up to 2Mbs).

I might flash back to standard ROM and an older radio to see if there is a difference before I cal T-Mobile.

ill havea check at lunch with my t-mob web n walk dongle to see if that can get faster speeds.

Hi interesting thread,

I am using a T-mobile G2 and T-mobile sim, also running modaco 3.1 and radio version 63.18.55.06U_6.35.04.35 ← the original radio, tried the latest radio but gave me slow connection and constant switching between bands 3G, H, E, G

Here are my results from the speed test:

• Download: 1839kb, Upload: 408kb,

I just did 4 tests:

Speedtest.net app on my phone - It registered a d/l speed of only 20Kbps!

Speedtest.net on a browser while tethered to my laptop - it registered 500Kbps

my3gspeed.com on a browser on my laptop registerd - 1.3Mbps

broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk registered over 2Mbps

All these tests were conducted within minutes of each other and I had a full H signal the whole time.

It just goes to show that all these tests are pretty subjective, I'm especially dubious of the accuracy of some of the apps to measure 3G speed.

I dont get to worked up about speeds, the speedtest.net app reported 20K yet actual browsing speeds were excellent, clearly the app is wrong.

Guest Hornet69

Hi All,

HSDPA is an encoding on the air interface (sounding a little techie here sorry). What you need to understand is that HSDPA is like home broadband is an UP TO service. the reasons for this are many but one of the main ones is "noise" in the sigal due to buildings, other mobiles and distance.

Look at it like this, if each block of data sent was 10 bits long, and there was Zero noise, then all 10 bits would be data for you to use. If we ad some noise to contend with, then say 8 bits would be data for you to use but 2 would be error correction to protect those 8 bits. Now a very bad link could be 2 bits of usable data and 8 bits of error correction. Therefore you get a slower service end to end, but the air interface is still an HSDPA channel. this is why you see "H" but get slow performance.

Also, T-Mobile UK don't have Edge so you would never see "E" on the phone.

Hope it helps a little?

Guest Hornet69

@ uk786

EDGE stands for Enhanced Data GSM Evolution and is an other unique air interface encoding which needs the correct hardware at the BTS side to support this. I can assure you, T-Mobie UK has not purchased this hardware from their suppliers.

The "E" is may be shown in error as this service is not avalable.

H (or sometimes seem as 3G+ or even H+ on the phone) is for High Speed Downlink Packet Acces from 384kb/s upto 14.4Mb/s at the moment if your terminal can support that speed.

3G (this is for what is known as Release 99 3G. 384kb/s download speeds)

E is for Edge (As above upto 384kb/s).

G is GPRS (GSM Packet Radio Access 64kb/s).

All these are upto speeds so use as a guide.

Guest Jonnyw2k

Right just tested using 2 different t-mobile sims

1 with Web n Walk Recorded about 400down 300up

1 with Web n Walk Plus Recorded about 3000down and 300up

So i recon its a T-Mobile limiter.

Guest Hornet69

@Jonnyw2k

Ask Customer service to confirm your profile. this "profile" is a setting on the Database (HLR) that's tied to your SIM.

Looks like they have different profiles which would explain the speeds.

Ofcourse, you may not be able to change this profile if it's related to the deal you have, but they should be able to confirm if this is different.

Guest grassiekuik

I'm on T-mobile Netherlands and i know that webnwalk over here is being capped after a 2 Gb limit. I stream music a lot so i receive text messages from t-mobile that my limit is reached and my speed will be reduced.

Guest Arthur Hucksake

Im pretty certain it's a cap T-Mobile put in force. In the past I took this up with them and they had no answers on customer services.

Have since changed to 3 and I get 4MBit down and 800k on the speedtest.net app.

It's got to be server related.

Guest FurryPotato

After some digging around I found some info on the T-Mobile support forum.

Basically normal Web n' Walk internet is 3g only (1Gb fair use)

To get HSDPA speed you need Web n' Walk Plus (3Gb fair Usage)

So as I get my normal internet for free on my flext plan, I have upgraded to Plus and am getting 1-1.7Mb at home now instead of 3809kb

Plus I wanted the extra 2Gb of data as I'm using phone for video and audio streaming/download a lot more now.

Guest grassiekuik
After some digging around I found some info on the T-Mobile support forum.

Basically normal Web n' Walk internet is 3g only (1Gb fair use)

To get HSDPA speed you need Web n' Walk Plus (3Gb fair Usage)

So as I get my normal internet for free on my flext plan, I have upgraded to Plus and am getting 1-1.7Mb at home now instead of 3809kb

Plus I wanted the extra 2Gb of data as I'm using phone for video and audio streaming/download a lot more now.

Aha i meant webnwalk is (in Holland) no data limit (FUP)

and webnwalk plus (what i have) is 2 GB and after that it's capped to the normal webnwalk