Heavy Touchscreen Problems

Guest bruoli

Hey,

hello at all from Hamburg in Germany. I have got one big problem with the touch input of my Hero.

The screen is too sensitive. I can navigate on the screen while my finger is about 5 cm away from it. I can choose what I want, but the screen takes the right horizontal position of my finger, but not the vertical. Anything I want to take, the screen takes the one on the bottom of the screen. The same when I want to write a message or something like this. I choose the "W" or "E", but the screen takes the "X" or "C". If the display goes on Standby and I wake it again, everything is good for a few seconds, but than the same mistake comes again.

I already tried to wipe and install a new MCR, but nothing helps.

I think, but I am not sure, that I have that problem after I have installed the htc keyboard on android 2.1, as I tried it for a few hours.

Could somebody help me or have an idea, what is the cause for my problem?

Oli

EDIT: Demonstration of the problem with the app "spark":

Edited by bruoli

Guest Arthur Hucksake

Have you tried running the keyboard calibration?

Under settings > locale and text > touch input > text input and right at the bottom calibration tool.

I have to do this after every restore otherwise its just terrible.

Have you tried running the keyboard calibration?

Under settings > locale and text > touch input > text input and right at the bottom calibration tool.

I have to do this after every restore otherwise its just terrible.

Yes, I did it a couple of times . . .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Parano!d

same problem here, its so hard to type a text :D weird

hope there's a solution...

mine was bought of ebay.uk( orange unlocked) and i live in india,, no warranty either :D

looks like defective hardware to me. i'd try to get a replacement.

Yeah. I recognise the issue there, I think. Essentially there is something wrong with your screen.

From an electronics perspective, the phone measures the capacitance across the glass, in a large number of 'segments', each acting like an individual capacitor. The inside of the screen includes an Indium Tin-Oxide 'backing' that forms half of the capacitors. By touching the glass, yout finger acts as a semi-earthed 'other plate' of the capacitor. There is therefore a capacitance across this 'portion' of the screen which is used to determine the touch position (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Capacitive for a simple explanation that's better than I can put it in words). Your issue sounds like too high a voltage is on the internal plate, so the finger doesn't need to be nearly as close to the glass to act as a plate in the capacitor.

Bottom line is that, unless you're in a very metallic environment, or have a metal finger, something's up with your phone.

Guest Parano!d

well it all started for me after my hero fell of my hands to the floor quite few times...

i dont have ant htc service centre nearby or far...

what should i do now :D ???

should i try n throw it again, may be it gets well loll