Dalvik Turbo

Guest trashed78

http://www.myriadgroup.com/Media-Centre/Ne...TO-ANDROID.aspx

Something we will see in Modaco in the future?

I sure hope this Dalvik Turbo will find its way into custom ROMs.

Although, did anyone hear about the Nexus One having a JIT? That's why it scores three over three times higher on benchmarks than the Droid despite it being just less than twice as fast.

Guest trashed78
I sure hope this Dalvik Turbo will find its way into custom ROMs.

Although, did anyone hear about the Nexus One having a JIT? That's why it scores three over three times higher on benchmarks than the Droid despite it being just less than twice as fast.

Heard about it, maybe Hero 2.X will get the same

Maybe our devices already have this peace of software. They create more JBed java solutions and JIT compilers, and worked quite close together with google in the designing of the G1 / Dream's software apps.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the Java engine in our phones _is_ already the one from Myriad.

Or is this a brand new development from them?

Guest Skywrit3r
Maybe our devices already have this peace of software. They create more JBed java solutions and JIT compilers, and worked quite close together with google in the designing of the G1 / Dream's software apps.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the Java engine in our phones _is_ already the one from Myriad.

Or is this a brand new development from them?

Sounds like something new

Myriad will be demonstrating Dalvik Turbo in action on its stand (AV86) at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona from 15th‐18th February 2010.

Guest stevenz

So probably not available for another month or so and even then, will it (or can it?) be back-ported to the Hero etc?

3x performance increase sounds pretty ambitious, real-world is probably going to be nowhere near that but every little bit helps!

Guest commodoor
So probably not available for another month or so and even then, will it (or can it?) be back-ported to the Hero etc?

3x performance increase sounds pretty ambitious, real-world is probably going to be nowhere near that but every little bit helps!

yhea i also was just wondering will this be for all the android phones or just for nexus??

Guest stevenz
more importantly, I think it's a commercial solution so we won't be allowed to just copy it and / or integrate in our ROMs.

It's all part of the Open Handset Alliance so presumably it'll be integrated into the Android sourcetree for all to use.

Or, it may be provided as an optional replacement for OEMs, but I'd hope for the former. (And hopefully someone can implement it for the Hero, although if it's kernel-level we're probably SOL).