google buzz only for android >2.0

Guest tdohappens

Guest commodoor
google, seriously?

http://www.google.com/intl/en/mobile/buzz/

google buzz is only available for android >2.0 ... but all features are available on the iphone

it will even be available on WM, blackberry and nokia s60

i don't care if cupcake has limited functionality or w/e reason, i feel betrayed.

I understand it, when i first heard about buzz i got curious, but than i couldn't see it on my hero ;) really to bad. everyone on tweeter is talking about it.

Guest tdohappens

i set the user agent to iphone in dolphin ... doesn't work

i guess there are several ways for google to check this

we need page source code from an >2.0 phone or an iphone

i wonder if hero users with >2.0 roms can use buzz. anyone?

Guest FunkTrooper

I see no reason why it wouldn't work on a Hero with 2.1. Nowhere do Google say it's Nexus One only or anything like that. The only thing is, 2.1 roms on Hero at the moment really aren't good enough for daily use where you actually have to *rely* on the phone.

i set the user agent to iphone in dolphin ... doesn't work

i guess there are several ways for google to check this

we need page source code from an >2.0 phone or an iphone

i wonder if hero users with >2.0 roms can use buzz. anyone?

I have Kagudroid, it works though i'm not really sure what all the fuss is about. It's just google maps with little comments left by buzz users like 'My House' and 'Time to get out of bed', I know, thrilling stuff or what?! The only difference from something like twitter or faceboook is that it tags your loaction and even then its only going to be accurate if you're outdoors with the GPS switched on.

Edited by hp1

Guest tdohappens

@funktrooper: i just want to know how it checks for >2.0. setting user-agent as iphone didn't work so it must be something else.

i installed safari on windows, set user-agent as mobile safari 3.1.2 iphone, went to this website http://www.testiphone.com/

and i managed to login into my account and google buzz mobile seemed to work.

i got the main page source but i don't know if it contains the "checking for os" part because it's too complicated for me.

i attached the source. i don't know if it helps

* don't open directly / open with a text/web editor. remember: source is from an iphone

buzz.html

Guest Igniztion

I run my Hero with a 2.1 ROM and buzz is working fine.

As for the reliance factor of the 2.1 ROMS, they are more than enough reliable for me on my only phone. I don't use the camera or a bluetooth headset though.

On 2.1 (KaguDroid) the buzz.google.com mobile site seems to work just fine. Gives the same kind of interface as x.facebook.com / touch.facebook.com. Maybe they used some tricks that the older default 1.5 / 1.6 browser didn't support?

I don't think the HTC browser is much different in it's rendering engine in 1.5. Or maybe it's just the 'location awareness' for webapps that it needs, and since Google is focusing so much on that, it 'requires' it.

See it this way: They announced it publicly (it's working for a couple of months ofcourse) yesterday, and said for now they only have a mobile website. Bad news, it requires 2.0+ browser for Android. Good news, nothing is keeping other people from writing widgets / native apps / etc... And I think Google will make it's own native app or even integrate it into a newer 2.x or something.