Market Updates Notifications

Guest venturerider

Guest venturerider

Yesterday I received my first ever notification that there was an update for me in the Market. It seems this notification feature does not work most of the time. This time, though, it worked, and it was for Google Maps, so I'm wondering if this notification is only for Google products (unlikely) or if the lack of notifications for third-party apps is a problem with the way the developers implement their apps.

Guest onecino
Yesterday I received my first ever notification that there was an update for me in the Market. It seems this notification feature does not work most of the time. This time, though, it worked, and it was for Google Maps, so I'm wondering if this notification is only for Google products (unlikely) or if the lack of notifications for third-party apps is a problem with the way the developers implement their apps.

Recently I got notification updates for Astrid and Wavesecure so works for other applications as well.

using the hero for a good 4 months now i only ever saw this notification once. several apps had updates waiting, and i am pretty sure there was no google app among them. so the update feature does not only work for google apps, but it doesn't really work at all...

Yeah, I've had mine a good few months now and I have never seen an upgrade notification.

Same here. Never any notifications, although I do check every couple of days though. Maybe only get a notification after it's waited X days without install???

Would be nice to have, though.

It's just something that programs do if instructed to, no? Not some kind of Google feature or whatever. I presume every app could have update announcements if the developer could be bothered to do it. Twidroid always informs me and that's got nowt to do with Google.

It's just something that programs do if instructed to, no? Not some kind of Google feature or whatever. I presume every app could have update announcements if the developer could be bothered to do it. Twidroid always informs me and that's got nowt to do with Google.

as long as we have kind of a "package manager" it should be able to tell us when it has updates. even windows can do that...

On the Modaco ROMs or stock HTC Roms is never worked for me. Didn't even knew it existed.

When you try AOSP 2.1 ROMs it suddenly starts working, so it seems like HTC removed it, or something?

But about the 'sometimes it works, most often not': You probably need Market running in the background. If you killed it or have some sort of autokiller running the chances are you killed the Market app, and it won't check for updates.

On the Modaco ROMs or stock HTC Roms is never worked for me. Didn't even knew it existed.

When you try AOSP 2.1 ROMs it suddenly starts working, so it seems like HTC removed it, or something?

But about the 'sometimes it works, most often not': You probably need Market running in the background. If you killed it or have some sort of autokiller running the chances are you killed the Market app, and it won't check for updates.

Could it be that this is a 2.1 only feature? Good point about killing market. I kill it routinely, so can't comment on that really.