T Mobile G2 Rooting - New Phone

Guest Xusen

Hello

I have just received a G2 from T-Mobile and being someone who likes to play around with it, i immediately tried to get a custom rom installed, I followed this unlockr guide, I noticed that the guide mentions 2.73.x.x support is a hit and miss.

I went ahead anyway but i couldn't get flash rec to work, which led me to the downgrading tutorial by the same guys but when i reach the last step which states "Double click the RUU you downloaded while the phone is plugged in with the GoldCard in it and follow the on screen procedure." , I can't seem to get the downgrader to work, it keeps saying "customer id error", I was told to try another RUU...no luck same message. Please note, I did not receive any error messages or had problems with the other steps in that guide, I successfully created the Goldcard and tested that the card still works.

I noticed most those guides are few months old...i got my G2 today anything special about it?, please find details below:

Firmware: v1.5

Baseband: 63.18.55.06FU_6.35.07.08

Kernel: 2.6.27-0078c992 (htc-kernel@and18-2#821)

Build: 2.73.110.26 CL#69351 release keys

Software: 1.0.0.A6288

Thanks

Hi!

Just rooted my own T-mobile G2 with the goldcard method. I pressume you did all the steps from this guide?

I did the heroimg.zip trick, it is nothing fancy, only the RUU Installer didn't work for me neither. If you run the RUU, there is an map made in your local temp ( something like : C:\Users\Gebruiker\AppData\Local ) This contains all the files needed. There is also a rom.zip rename this to heroimg.zip and put in in the root of your goldcard. Than turn your phone off and put the goldcard in the phone than fastboot it. ( VOlume-down + power ) hold it till you get in the fastboot menu. Now sit back and follow the onscreen options! ;)

By the way: DO use the 2.73.405.5 WWE version, with this ROM you can use flashrec again :D!

Edited by loedie

Thanks Leodie, I have managed to root it now, the original SD card was passing but not working in the end but i tried another sandisk memory card and it got past the customer id error and worked. The heroimg trick didnt work at all. kept saying not found.

Thanks Again