bootscreen rotator

Guest kendon

so i managed to sort out the issues, i needed to make the script to wait until /sdcard becomes writeable...

this script rotates bootscreens stored on the sdcard. a new screen with every boot. i made a random version, but disabled it since random with 3-5 bootscreens is no fun...

here is how it works:

1. download bootrotator-update-signed.zip.

2. apply via recovery image.

3. reboot your phone.

4. mount the sdcard to your pc, you will find a new folder called bootrotator. in this folder you find the following:

- folders 1,2,3: 1 contains a backup of your current bootscreen, the others are to be filled by you.

- screens: in this file you need to put the number of screens you want to rotate.

- active: this is your current bootscreen, according to folder number. you can ignore this file.

5. now get some bootscreens, open the zip files and get the contents of system/media/bootscreen. this is ususally boot1.gif, boot2.gif, boot_animation.xml and boot.mp3, but may vary. just copy what is in there to the numbered folders. if you need more folders just create them, the script handles as many as you enter in screens.

6. now enter the number of screens you have in the screens file. it defaults to three, so you need to fill the two empty folders with some files or change the number!

7. reboot your phone and see the bootscreen from folder 2! the screen is now changed before it is displayed at every boot.

8. to remove the bootrotator just apply remove_bootrotator-update-signed.zip through recovery.

9. if you just want to disable bootrotator without removing it make the number in screens 0. the script will not run then.

NOTES:

- make a nandroid backup before applying any of the given files, just in case.

- both update.zips overwrite/delete /data/init.sh, if you modified it make a backup. if you don't know what i am talking about don't mind.

remove_bootrotator_update_signed.zip

bootrotator_update_signed.zip

Edited by kendon

Guest tristan202
ok, here we go. after the flood of bootscreens the last few days (thx tristan202 :D ) i decided it was time for a script that gives us a different one with each boot. it is bit tricky to implement, but i did my best to keep the effort as low as possible. adb shell is needed during the setup process.

so first you need to create a directory "bootscreen" on the root of your sdcard:

adb shell mkdir /sdcard/bootscreen
for the example i will use THREE bootscreens, this can be extended to how many bootscreens you need. create one directory for each bootscreen, number them ascending:
adb shell mkdir /sdcard/bootscreen/1

adb shell mkdir /sdcard/bootscreen/2

adb shell mkdir /sdcard/bootscreen/3
create a file called "active" in the bootscreen directory which contains only the digit 1:
adb shell "echo 1 > /sdcard/bootscreen/active
now copy the script that actually does the work to /system/bin and make it executable:
adb -o remount,rw /system

adb push bootrotate.sh /system/bin/

adb chmod +x /system/bin/bootrotate.sh

adb -o remount,ro /system
the final step: make sure that 'bootrotate.sh' is executed after every boot:
adb shell "echo /system/bin/bootrotate.sh > /data/init.sh"

that's it, now your three bootscreens get rotated with every boot!

if you want to add more just create more directories and change the number in /sdcard/screens.

stay tuned for a way to do this without adb shell, i'll look into doing this via update.zip only. ;)

Nice work, kendon. I find it flattering.

Nice work, kendon. I find it flattering.

not that big of a deal... i think it gets interesting once it is working and can be done without adb, as many ppl seem to struggle with it. more on that later, first i need a way to autostart it at all, the /data/init.sh way does not work for me, but again, my rom could be messed up. i need to do a few things at work, but i will leave early today and then i can start wiping and flashing my hero to see what it does :D

in the meantime i would kindly ask you to remove your fullquote, as i changed a few things in the instructions (actually i didn't want to post this until it works, but accidently hit "submit new thread" instead of "preview message"...). we don't want to confuse people with differing instructions... or do we? ;)

Bootscreens are cool an all.. but do you really turn your phone on and off that much to justify this? Just saying, I never see my bootscreen because my phone is always on. The only time I restart is when I am updating MCR ;)

Guest CitizenLee
Bootscreens are cool an all.. but do you really turn your phone on and off that much to justify this? Just saying, I never see my bootscreen because my phone is always on. The only time I restart is when I am updating MCR :D

A few times a day for me if I'm testing out themes and various other mods + sometimes its good to reboot just to keep the phone running nice (or maybe that's just placebo?).

Nice work btw Kendon ;)

bump for release...

Nice method. Sorry I couldn't come up with anything better yesterday. I agree /data/init.sh is probably the best place to do this from at the moment. Unless you fancied making 'superboot' style boot.img files that did the same thing (although you'd need to make one for each different type of ROM...) :D

Nice method. Sorry I couldn't come up with anything better yesterday. I agree /data/init.sh is probably the best place to do this from at the moment. Unless you fancied making 'superboot' style boot.img files that did the same thing (although you'd need to make one for each different type of ROM...) :D

that is what i wanted to avoid. these zips work only for mcr roms, but they do not change anything unnecessary in the rom. and although probably nobody is going to use this it was fun to make, and i learned a lot about the start process and how services are started :D