Restore only userdata from nandroid backup?

Guest Mythrix

Guest Mythrix

I always thought that you could somehow restore just the userdata from a nandroid backup, but now that I tested nandroid restore I found out that it also restores the old ROM image. Googled around, but doesn't seem to be a way to restore just the userdata.

I'd love not having to set up everything from scratch when trying new ROM images. Not a huge problem, but it'd be nice. Does anyone know of a way to backup and restore just apps and userdata, so I can restore them when trying out new ROM images?

open the folder nandroid.

find the recovery you wanna use

take the data.img and put it in sdk/tools

open up adb

type

fastboot -i 0x0502 flash userdata data.img

OR download titanium backup from market, which probably will be easier

Edited by goa200

Guest Mythrix

I did try to flash just the userdata, but got a "data too large" error.

I would use titanium backup

when flashing user data with data.img, there might be incompatabilities between the old data.img and the new system.img

Hmm, yeah, I was a bit worried about that too.

I considered moving the nandroid backups around (ie take a new backup, then move the old userdata there and then do a restore...) But I guess I'll try out Titanium backup. :D

Guest Mythrix
I considered moving the nandroid backups around (ie take a new backup, then move the old userdata there and then do a restore...)

Okay, I ended up trying this after all, and can confirm that it does *not* work. :D (Nothing serious, just got a restore KO, failed restore attempt.)

Oh, there's a nandroid.md5 file in the backup directory, I guess it's a checksum... Oh well. *sigh*

Edited by Mythrix