Turning wifi off completely?

Guest MadMatt2002

Guest MadMatt2002

Hi,

As per a previous thread, my Hero seems to have lost the ability to use a wifi connection for data - so I fear a reset is due and probably rooting it? Just need to find the best way to root a 2.73 t-mobile version.

Is there a way to stop the Hero trying to connect via wifi any time I open the markert / browser etc? The problem is that it regularly connects to an open network locally (bt fon) and then can't make a data connection etc.

Is there an app to stop the wifi from activating at all?

Thanks

Matthew

Guest MadMatt2002
my wifi is off and stays off when i deactivate it via the htc widget...

Thanks for confirming that - I thought mine used to as well!

Think a hard reset is needed.... not looking forward to reinstalling all the apps etc

Thanks

Matthew

Guest SketchF
Thanks for confirming that - I thought mine used to as well!

Think a hard reset is needed.... not looking forward to reinstalling all the apps etc

Thanks

Matthew

Mine also does this - it's pretty irritating, but I manage to get HSDPA in my house anyway so I've not actually bothered to look for a solution yet!

Guest sambartle

I'm sure you have thought of this but you haven't used anything like locale (it can change phone settings based on things like gps location/time/battery status etc) at any point in the past?

Maybe its still running and is turning the wifi back on for you when it hits one of the locations you had set.

Guest bluecat69

THis issue is really p***ing me off.

My phone worked fine, and now after the one and only time i used wi-fi, everytime i look at a sodding page it tries to connect back to the wi-fi router that i connected to on the train that one time. Wi-fi is switched off, it remains off, but its still tries connecting to that page. I've deleted the internet history and cache and its not a bookmark and yet it still remembers it and tries to connect to it.

WHY is this??????

I'm running 3.0 ROM by the way.

Any help on this is much greatly appreciated.

Guest chudders22

My phone worked fine, and now after the one and only time i used wi-fi, everytime i look at a sodding page it tries to connect back to the wi-fi router that i connected to on the train that one time. Wi-fi is switched off, it remains off, but its still tries connecting to that page. I've deleted the internet history and cache and its not a bookmark and yet it still remembers it and tries to connect to it.

WHY is this??????

Make the phone forget the connection in the WiFi settings. If you can, try and connect to a different router. And if none of that works it looks like you may need to re-flash. Iirc Titanium Backup will help you back up apps.

Guest sambartle

WHY is this??????

You said wi-fi stays off but it tries to reconnect back to the wi-fi router.. I'm not sure what you mean there.. are you getting a message saying its trying to connect to a WiFi SSID or something? In which case I think WiFi must be back on at that point..

The other thing.. about it always trying to go to a wifi page that you used on a train WiFi connection.. I presume you mean the landing page type thing where you have to login to the train WiFi.. its possible its been set as your homepage.. clearing the history wont reset that.. try setting a new homepage and see if that helps. (I realise this is obvious and might be the first thing you tried.. but i thought it was worth mentioning)