Hero's default browser, SO LAME!!

Guest keef319

Guest keef319

I didn't realise just how slow it was!!

Last week I got an iPod Touch to replace my old mp3 player. I thought I'd have a go with the Wireless Tethering from the Hero.

All working ok, and WOW Safari was loading pages SO quickly I was :D

Then went back to surfing on the Hero and it was worse than flippin' dial-up!!!

What's that all about!? Any replacement browsers that are close to being as quick as Safari on an iPod/iPhone? I briefly tried Dolphin but wasn't uber-impressed to be honest...

I didn't realise just how slow it was!!

Last week I got an iPod Touch to replace my old mp3 player. I thought I'd have a go with the Wireless Tethering from the Hero.

All working ok, and WOW Safari was loading pages SO quickly I was :D

Then went back to surfing on the Hero and it was worse than flippin' dial-up!!!

What's that all about!? Any replacement browsers that are close to being as quick as Safari on an iPod/iPhone? I briefly tried Dolphin but wasn't uber-impressed to be honest...

I dont know a lot about it really. But when I was using the vanilla 2.1 rom, I preferred the non HTC browser.

I've been using Dolphin Browser. On top of having some nice features, it's very, very fast in comparison with the default browser, which I thought was unbearably slow too :D

Guest stevenz

The latest (v2.5?) Dolphin feels a fair bit quicker than the previous version, afaik they both share the same rendering engine though.

Using a Hero and an iPod Touch on the same wireless network is no contest though, the iPod blows it away for speed. Even with the Hero on HSPA it's still significantly slower. Pretty sure that the Hero browser is webkit based, and so is Safari so there shouldn't be _that_ much difference I would've thought.

It's still quite usable, but not as snappy as it could be compared to a 2-year old ipod touch.

Guest paulsmith

My old phone was an iPhone 2G

I think the hero browser is a lot quicker on BBC news low graphics (about the only site I use).

Im just grateful my phone doesn't need to make love every 5mins to iTunes anymore

I did try a 2.1 ROM - it was quicker.

is it default HTC browser or Default android browser.... not shure if this is HTC... but android'scrap we are eating

I agree, my iPod Touch's browser is way faster than the Hero's browser. But that's because we have a 2-year old 528 MHz Qualcomm processor (*barfs*) on our hands. It's the same CPU they had for the Diamond, Touch Pro, Touch HD, Dream and Magic! Rehash after rehash.

In terms of other Android browsers, Opera Mini blows the pants off any other mobile browser in the world in terms of speed. But, the version available for Android is only Opera Mini 4.2, and it is very buggy and inconvenient to use. Hopefully they will come out with version 5 soon, as they had said they were working on it when version 5 Beta 2 had come out. I was using 5 beta 2 on my WinMo phone and it was awesome. Doesn't have Flash but it does the job otherwise.

I would wait for the official Android 2.1 ROM to come to the Hero, as well as for Opera Mini 5, and then we can make another comparison to the iPhone/Touch.

Edited by D I

Will the android version of opera mini render pages before they get to phone like the iphone version?

Yes, Opera Mini renders pages on their servers... it does a lot of proprietary compression so that you save up to 90% of data usage. You mean iPhone does server-side rendering too??

You could try out Opera Mini 4.2 from the market, but it kinda sucks... Speed is amzing though. On the Hero you can only type in landscape mode, and you have to press the Menu hard button to select Ok/Cancel after entering text :D

Edited by D I