Loading up the Desire ROM on the Nexus One (my findings so far)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest superwario
Right, anyone willing to fund Paul a new Nexus if/when he bricks it tonight? :D

I will if I get personal concierge support for my Nexus One needs (Translation: Paul's direct line ha)

Guest squirreleater
If it doesn't fit on an N1 properly, I would think it would be real hard to get it onto a Hero, no?

There are already roms out there running 2.1 on the hero, I can't see this being that much different, besides, HTC have said the hero family of phones will be getting the latest roms updated officially.

This is GREAT! thanks for the effort man!

I have a question, I am now being haunted by the touch screen problem, does the Desire Rom have this problem? Hope you'll pay attention to that and let us know :D

If the Desire Rom can solve this, then definitely it is software related issue.

Thanks again!

Guest zmalach
I thought i'd start a topic about loading up the Desire ROM on the Nexus One. I'm sure i'm not the only one that'll be doing it!

Findings so far (updated)...

- If you rebuild the boot image replacing the kernel it runs. I'm running my own custom kernel with himem and bits.

- The system.img doesn't fit on the N1 (!), it's nearly 200MB. I booted by moving some stuff off the system partition.

- The trackball works.

- The 4 bottom keys work.

- The proximity sensor works.

- The LED works.

- The light sensor works.

- The compass and G sensor work.

- The camera works fine and is great with face recognition and touch focus.

- The FM radio loads, but makes no sound / finds no stations it seems. Maybe we need Desire radio ROM?

- The build I have is watermarked - i've removed the obvious visual watermarks but no, you can't have this release - when I get a watermark free drop, yes!

- Flash 10.1 is included and works well.

- It's FAST!

More to follow! :D

P

Paul please make the FM radio work :-)

Guest McSpoon
I imagine one solution would be to symlink /system/app to /cache/app.

Is it possible to do that? I recall reading this discussion from Jean-Baptiste Queru whereby he was looking for suggestions to better utilize the /cache partition. He seemed to suggest the download manager might automatically clear that partition if it needs the space.

Hi Paul good job why don't ask others cooker to help you remove all watermarks instead of waiting a new version without them ?

I've removed the watermarks. I just can't be 100% sure there aren't any more, and I choose to protect my sources rather than take risks.

P

Is it possible to do that? I recall reading this discussion from Jean-Baptiste Queru whereby he was looking for suggestions to better utilize the /cache partition. He seemed to suggest the download manager might automatically clear that partition if it needs the space.

Yeah, I think either on /data or in a squashfs file or similar is the likeliest solution.

P

Guest Dancorp
I've removed the watermarks. I just can't be 100% sure there aren't any more, and I choose to protect my sources rather than take risks.

P

Can you explain the way to disable watermarks please ? is that easy to do ?

Other question: which build are you using to make the port ? 1.0x ?

(sorry for my english)

thanks in advance

(i don't work for htc!)

Edited by Dancorp

Guest Shmoopty
If you like what MoDaCo is and does, sign up to Ad Free or Plus. Then you're kinda donating but getting cool stuff in return. Everyone's a winner, lol!

Done! Awesome work!

Guest d0lph1nk1ng

curious as to whether Nexus One trackball colors is a Nexus One problem or an Android 2.1 problem. does this Desire ROM allow you to customize the Nexus One trackball color? said differently, does an app like Missed Call for Android 2.0 work on this ROM?

Guest Cubanito
I thought i'd start a topic about loading up the Desire ROM on the Nexus One. I'm sure i'm not the only one that'll be doing it!

- If you rebuild the boot image replacing the kernel it runs. I'm running my own custom kernel with himem and bits.

- The system.img doesn't fit on the N1 (!), it's nearly 200MB. I booted by moving some stuff off the system partition.

- The trackball works.

- The LED works.

- The FM radio loads, but makes no sound / finds no stations it seems. Maybe we need Desire radio ROM?

- The build I have is watermarked - i've removed the obvious visual watermarks but no, you can't have this release - when I get a watermark free drop, yes!

- It's FAST!

- WiFi works

- Bluetooth works

- 800x480 video recording, camera maxes out at 3MP (fixed in later builds)

P

Thats it I am going to root my Nexus One as soon as I get home! Very much a Android Newbie...so will have to be careful LOL...

Guest DistortedLoop

The touch focus is the biggest thing I miss from my iPhone 3G' camera. Very nice feature.

Guest The Hero

- The trackball works.

- The LED works.

- It's FAST!

- WiFi works

- Bluetooth works

- 800x480 video recording, camera maxes out at 3MP (fixed in later builds)

P

This has me excited. Can't wait to see what that Flash 10.1 can do.

HULU!!

Guest rfdparker2002
<snip>- Flash 10.1 is included and works well.<snip>

Possibly a bit of a newb-ish question here - but considering people are discussing 'extracting' the Desire HTC keyboard as an apk, would it be feasible to do the same with Flash 10.1, or is it too tied-in somehow?

Guest Mi|enko
Possibly a bit of a newb-ish question here - but considering people are discussing 'extracting' the Desire HTC keyboard as an apk, would it be feasible to do the same with Flash 10.1, or is it too tied-in somehow?

Flash is probably incorporated into the framework. Remember, there was a rudimentary version of Flash in the roms for the Hero and it couldn't be ported to other devices (unless the whole Hero rom was ported).