A USB Host mode enable kernel? Anyone?

Guest AcerDroid

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kylenk

seems pretty useless in my opinion. If we had tv out i guess itd come in handy to dock the phone in a way? Anyway you can get a bluetooth keyboard which should work fine?

Guest AcerDroid

I strongly disagree to opinions that came from pessimistic persons. I think you should try not to use USB ports on your PC, any USB devices or any other PC out there that has USB port to the rest of your life to imagine how stupid it is to say that USB host feature on ANY device is useless or not-so-beneficial.

These kind of people are those who give hindrance to technology improvements. I am so disapointed.

Guest Uxian
Any developers who can compile a patched Qualcomm drivers? I want to plug my USB keyboard to my Liquid then it will be a instant UMPC :(

It's not just as simple as drivers. The article you linked describes how the Droid's hardware is USB-OTG capable. Have you confirmed whether the Liquid's hardware is capable of supporting USB-OTG (I doubt since it's only supposed to be supported with a Micro-AB connector and the Liquid sports a Mini-B, not even a Micro-B like the Droid)? Secondly, the article indicates that the Droid is already capable of this without any additional software drivers. Did you you try putting together the custom cables described in the article and following the procedure to see if the Liquid already supports this before asking for drivers?

• 3 years later...
Guest errmsg

It's been one of the questions I've kept thinking about since I got the device, so here are my findings:

No, it is not possible to use USB Host mode on Acer Liquid E due to a hardware limitation. OTG host mode is even completely disabled in the released 2.6.29 kernel with a comment:

/* A1 do not support HOST mode */[/CODE]

During my USB subsystem tests I found that the device mistakenly thinks it is in OTG host mode when a regular wall-charger is plugged in. Leaving host mode enabled and attempting to enable USB LPM for a wall charger causes an IRQ storm from the USB controller that renders the device completely unusable. This suggests the hardware is faulty or OTG host support was never considered.

I haven't tested this with a real OTG cable though (A1 can't provide VBUS power to the peripheral) and will happily find out that the device indeed supports host mode if somebody has actually made it work.