Which ROM?

Guest PhilUK

Hi there, I'm going on holiday for a month in March, so I don't want to be having to charge my phone every day. I want to use the ROM with the best battery life.

I've used Modaco 3.1, 3.2 and original Tmobile, I'm now on AOSP 2.1 r4, which is really nice looking but the battery life is terrible.

It needs to be rooted for WIFI tether.

What would you recommend, I don't mind going with an original HTC, whatever gives the best battery.

Thanks,

Phil.

Guest Dr. dre
Hi there, I'm going on holiday for a month in March, so I don't want to be having to charge my phone every day. I want to use the ROM with the best battery life.

I've used Modaco 3.1, 3.2 and original Tmobile, I'm now on AOSP 2.1 r4, which is really nice looking but the battery life is terrible.

It needs to be rooted for WIFI tether.

What would you recommend, I don't mind going with an original HTC, whatever gives the best battery.

Thanks,

Phil.

First of all it's not the ROM, the main thing which improves your battery life is Radio, install the newest Radio ROM available and for the ROM and WiFi tether purpose i'll recommend you to go for Modaco 3.1 or 3.2, that's the best and kill the tasks which you don't need to safe a little more on battery.

Guest grassiekuik
First of all it's not the ROM, the main thing which improves your battery life is Radio, install the newest Radio ROM available and for the ROM and WiFi tether purpose i'll recommend you to go for Modaco 3.1 or 3.2, that's the best and kill the tasks which you don't need to safe a little more on battery.

And install overclock widget

I have got the latest radio but my phone sometimes doesn't last for the day.

I used a task killer with 3.2 but got fed up with pulling down the top bar and killing all tasks all the time.

I also use my phone as my holiday camera so I can't stay with 2.1 because of the resolution issue.

Phil.

Guest Dr. dre

I used a task killer with 3.2 but got fed up with pulling down the top bar and killing all tasks all the time.

I also use my phone as my holiday camera so I can't stay with 2.1 because of the resolution issue.

Phil.

Try lowering down the brightness and try installing overclock widget but as 'grassiekuik', dont downclock it too much.

Guest grassiekuik

Phil.

Install the minfree app from the market after that you don't have to worry about closing things manually

Guest masterpfa

Phil.

The only problem I found with all AOSP ROMS are that they do not allow the Wi-Fi Sleep policy to kick in, so if at home I have to turn Wi-Fi off manually for example when going to bed or use an app like Sweet Dreams.

Also following this guide also helped

Another ROM you could also consider is AychTeeSee-2.1 This is based on MCR 3.1 "BUT" it is a minimalist approach so Android Home with 3 screens, but a very quick ROM all the same (I ran this for a while and I did like it, but the lure for a 2.1 experience...), otherwise of your choices, any of Paul's ROMS should do, 3.2 B5 being very stable for me in the past. :D

Edited by masterpfa

i decided to play with ADB and removed browser (using dolphin) and live wallpapers google talk and the gtalkservice.apk, this caused a force close on startup but no other issues except no downloads from the market, pushed gtalkservice.apk back in and now all working.

installed minfree and sys tray monitor, seemed to keep it's battery static overnight.

Love the look of 2.1 but I will have to have the camera working full resolution though. I'll stay with this until my trip, maybe nandroid back and forth when I'm there. Or buy a camera.

thanks for your suggestions dr. dre and grassiekuik, I haven't looked at overclock yet.

thanks masterpfa I'll try AychTeeSee-2.1. I didn't have any issues with modaco 3.2, I just fancied the aosp. You all know what it's like, because we can change, we do. I came from Omnia, same.

Guest PrinceDwi
i decided to play with ADB and removed browser (using dolphin) and live wallpapers google talk and the gtalkservice.apk, this caused a force close on startup but no other issues except no downloads from the market, pushed gtalkservice.apk back in and now all working.

installed minfree and sys tray monitor, seemed to keep it's battery static overnight.

Love the look of 2.1 but I will have to have the camera working full resolution though. I'll stay with this until my trip, maybe nandroid back and forth when I'm there. Or buy a camera.

thanks for your suggestions dr. dre and grassiekuik, I haven't looked at overclock yet.

thanks masterpfa I'll try AychTeeSee-2.1. I didn't have any issues with modaco 3.2, I just fancied the aosp. You all know what it's like, because we can change, we do. I came from Omnia, same.

I found AychTeeSee's 3.1 rom to be very good at preserving battery life, but of course, it just depends on how you use it. I can muster almost 3 full days with just light email reading, 10 texts a day or so, maybe the occasional phone call. And of course, reading up on some blogs with optimized sites on 3g data only. But compared to the eclair roms, I've not been able to last past a day with my activity. As such, I can give my firm recommendation with AychTeeSee's line of vanila android roms.