MCR r22.1 archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Sylar2010

It's weird that Paul promised a release of the R22 2 days ago right after the Desire's one(which has been released that day) but instead of that it's total silence...

Guest PeRKoniX
It's weird that Paul promised a release of the R22 2 days ago right after the Desire's one(which has been released that day) but instead of that it's total silence...

I don't recall Paul will release R22 with the Desire rom, only that those 2 roms will be developed as one...

I can't recall Paul promising that either... even if he was... don't push him so much. He is doing us a favor by spending allot of time in developing roms for us. Besides we are not the only one with an Android phone. There is a whole community with people with different (android) phone which also like the work of Paul allot. He is not like an magician or something like he is snapping his finger and new custom roms pops out... :D Give it time... it comes when it is done :P

Guest Brian L

When I start my phone up with this ROM I got about 180mb free memory. The longer the phone stays on it starts to dissipate to around 40-70mb free, even when i kill tasks. Anyone know a way to make this better?

Guest Shmoopty
When I start my phone up with this ROM I got about 180mb free memory. The longer the phone stays on it starts to dissipate to around 40-70mb free, even when i kill tasks. Anyone know a way to make this better?

Doesn't Android itself kill tasks as needed?

I'm not convinced that unused memory is better than used memory.

Guest Brian L

I am not sure..... I just figured it would run better with less memory being used

Guest gtapias

One question guys,

Once the Desire Kernel is released, will this help us getting Sense with Android 2.2 or 2.1 only? Will it mean any significant difference (days, weeks) to Paul to get Sense working with 2.2?

Thanks,

Gabriel

Guest JonnyRockets

Correct. Here is a video from Google explaining this process:

I am not sure..... I just figured it would run better with less memory being used

This is a common fallacy. Unlike Windows, "free memory" does nothing in Android. 100 MB RAM free gives 0 benefit over 75 MB free.

Check out the above video.

One question guys,

Once the Desire Kernel is released, will this help us getting Sense with Android 2.2 or 2.1 only? Will it mean any significant difference (days, weeks) to Paul to get Sense working with 2.2?

Thanks,

Gabriel

Desire = 2.1.

2.2 is not available to anyone in the world except for Google employees.

2.2 itself probably isn't even finished within Google either.

Edited by JonnyRockets

Guest Brian L

This is a common fallacy. Unlike Windows, "free memory" does nothing in Android. 100 MB RAM free gives 0 benefit over 75 MB free.

Desire = 2.1.

So really there is no point for a task manager?

Guest JonnyRockets
So really there is no point for a task manager?

99% yes.

The only time is when you need to kill a badly written app that got stuck / froze etc.

Guest houstonblaney1
99% yes.

The only time is when you need to kill a badly written app that got stuck / froze etc.

This is correct. However you can always Force Close with the built-in application manager. Then again, Astro is pretty darn easy to use (plus you get the backup functionality).

Edited by houstonblaney1

Guest gtapias

Desire = 2.1.

I understand Desire currently is 2.1. It will eventually get updated to 2.2. Will we need to wait until Desire gets updated to 2.2 or will the released Desire kernel on 2.1 help us get Sense on 2.2 before it gets released by HTC in that combination, of course once 2.2 is released to N1. If this is possible, will the released kernel help substantially or will it take days/weeks of work for it to happen (Sense on N1 2.2)?

Guest richdmc

To those that are complaining about there not being another release yet, keep in mind that Paul does not owe us anything. Instead of complaining, you should be thanking him for the work he has done for free. All his work on this ROM and others is done in his free time when he could be doing other things.

Think about if you were doing something like this for free and providing it for others and you started getting people pretty much demanding the next version. Would that motivate you to keep going or just to say to hell with it? Paul has already said there will be another release so please sit back, remember we are NOT entitled to anything, take a deep breath and just wait for it like those of us that appreciate what he has done for us so far.

Edited by richdmc

Guest Aaron Ratner
To those that are complaining about there not being another release yet, keep in mind that Paul does not owe us anything. Instead of complaining, you should be thanking him for the work he has done for free. All his work on this ROM and others is done in his free time when he could be doing other things.

Think about if you were doing something like this for free and providing it for others and you started getting people pretty much demanding the next version. Would that motivate you to keep going or just to say to hell with it? Paul has already said there will be another release so please sit back, remember we are NOT entitled to anything, take a deep breath and just wait for it like those of us that appreciate what he has done for us so far.

A few things. Everyone needs to stop asking for updates. It's just a waste of time. Also, if you are naive enough to think that Paul does this for free then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. If you knew how much profit this web site generated for him you'd be singing a different tune. Web sites with a Google Page Rank of 6 make money. Add the paid subscriptions on top of this and you wouldn't be saying what you are saying. And finally, everyone has to stop kissing Paul's ass like he's some kind of god. "We mustn't disturb the delicate genius." I don't care if he every puts out another ROM because I don't even use Modaco's ROMs but I have plenty of friends who signed up for a premium account for the kitchen and with the thought that money would mean updates. I know Paul says that he doesn't promise that with the premium accounts but let's get serious here. I have an ad blocker. I don't need to pay ~$15 A YEAR for an ad free account. The people who pay for it expect something in return. For Paul to tell paying customers that they don't have the right to expect anything and then, for people like to to not only swallow that up but to spit it back out is shameless. If Paul doesn't want people bitching about updates let him stop accepting the tens of thousands of dollars a year in subscription fees and advertising dollars. If you think I'm overstating this fact then see above for the bridge statement. I understand that development doesn't happen overnight and without the kernel source from HTC there isn't much that can be done anyway. But I've also seen requests here from PAYING CUSTOMERS for things that can be helped (such as AtoSD) and Paul seems to think it's ok to ignore these people. There's a reason I wouldn't pay. I pay for results. I've donated to Cyanogen five times in the last ten months because he listens. Why would someone pay ~$15 a year to someone who ignores user requests? Keep living with your head in the sand. Nobody does this much work for free people. Wake up. It's a business like anything else and from what I see, a damn good one. To all those who wanted to say what I am saying here but are "afraid" to "risk" their [paid] accounts, "you're welcome." To anyone who disagrees with me, go away. I don't care what you have do say.

Guest Droid800
A few things. Everyone needs to stop asking for updates. It's just a waste of time. Also, if you are naive enough to think that Paul does this for free then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. If you knew how much profit this web site generated for him you'd be singing a different tune. Web sites with a Google Page Rank of 6 make money. Add the paid subscriptions on top of this and you wouldn't be saying what you are saying. And finally, everyone has to stop kissing Paul's ass like he's some kind of god. "We mustn't disturb the delicate genius." I don't care if he every puts out another ROM because I don't even use Modaco's ROMs but I have plenty of friends who signed up for a premium account for the kitchen and with the thought that money would mean updates. I know Paul says that he doesn't promise that with the premium accounts but let's get serious here. I have an ad blocker. I don't need to pay ~$15 A YEAR for an ad free account. The people who pay for it expect something in return. For Paul to tell paying customers that they don't have the right to expect anything and then, for people like to to not only swallow that up but to spit it back out is shameless. If Paul doesn't want people bitching about updates let him stop accepting the tens of thousands of dollars a year in subscription fees and advertising dollars. If you think I'm overstating this fact then see above for the bridge statement. I understand that development doesn't happen overnight and without the kernel source from HTC there isn't much that can be done anyway. But I've also seen requests here from PAYING CUSTOMERS for things that can be helped (such as AtoSD) and Paul seems to think it's ok to ignore these people. There's a reason I wouldn't pay. I pay for results. I've donated to Cyanogen five times in the last ten months because he listens. Why would someone pay ~$15 a year to someone who ignores user requests? Keep living with your head in the sand. Nobody does this much work for free people. Wake up. It's a business like anything else and from what I see, a damn good one. To all those who wanted to say what I am saying here but are "afraid" to "risk" their [paid] accounts, "you're welcome." To anyone who disagrees with me, go away. I don't care what you have do say.

We don't care what you have to say either. You're ignorant of the purpose of the ad-free account, and you're ignorant of how much work it actually takes to put out one of these roms. Just because you pay doesn't mean you get updates; what it means is that you get the opportunity to pick and choose what's in your ROM.

Now buzz off.

Guest JonnyRockets
Web sites with a Google Page Rank of 6 make money.

How does a high page rank translate to money? And how much money?

Guest Aaron Ratner
How does a high page rank translate to money? And how much money?

You can't be this naive. Maybe you can, I don't know you. But a high PageRank on a site with advertising and hundreds of thousands of users is a direct translation to money and lots of it. Is it a million dollars? Hardly. But please don't be fooled into thinking it's not a lot. I have reasonably popular web sites with PageRank's of 4 and 5 that do quite well and don't have nearly the number of users as this site, not by a long shot. I'm making a very solid educated guess but of course there is no way I can possibly know for sure. But I'd stake a lot that it's a pretty penny.

Edited by Aaron Ratner

Guest Aaron Ratner
We don't care what you have to say either. You're ignorant of the purpose of the ad-free account, and you're ignorant of how much work it actually takes to put out one of these roms. Just because you pay doesn't mean you get updates; what it means is that you get the opportunity to pick and choose what's in your ROM.

Now buzz off.

Yet another who blindly defends Paul and criticizes those whose opinions differ. Did you even read what I said? Apparently not. This is a forum. Look up the definition of the word--"a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas." I guess that means ideas that only agree with one person. My mistake for having an opinion.

Guest JonnyRockets
You can't be this naive. Maybe you can, I don't know you. But a high PageRank on a site with advertising and hundreds of thousands of users is a direct translation to money and lots of it. Is it a million dollars? Hardly. But please don't be fooled into thinking it's not a lot. I have reasonably popular web sites with PageRank's of 4 and 5 that do quite well and don't have nearly the number of users as this site, not by a long shot. I'm making a very solid educated guess but of course there is no way I can possibly know for sure. But I'd stake a lot that it's a pretty penny.

It was a simple question. Not everyone knows what a page rank 6 site is. Thanks for being a complete douchebag though.

Guest techlogik

Guess my only issue is I wish there was a version without the WaveSecure so you don't need to do the cook.

Without getting the kitchen one, anyway to remove that WaveSecure?

It's all great if it was free.

Edited by techlogik

Guest Hasibul
Guess my only issue is I wish there was a version without the WaveSecure so you don't need to do the cook.

Without getting the kitchen one, anyway to remove that WaveSecure?

It's all great if it was free.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=633246

You can use the Kitchen here to open up the ROM and delete the app, and then repack it. Or you can be like me and unpack it and put in some random apps you think are essential and never want uninstalled. Like ATK, Notes, etc. The Virtual Machine and USB support thing isn't the hardest thing to do. The USB thing though is b****. Best way to get it working is just google it.

Guest Aaron Ratner
It was a simple question. Not everyone knows what a page rank 6 site is. Thanks for being a complete douchebag though.

My apologizes. Didn't mean to be a douchebag. I assumed most people who flash ROMs would have a bit of other tech knowledge and I thought Google PageRank was common knowledge.