HOW TO INSTALL ECLAIR 2.1 COMMUNITY ROM FOR COMPLETE NOOBS!

Guest Running_Roti

Guest Running_Roti

hey everyone

im fairly new here and i love these forums and the devs and people in it :-)

i bought my acer liquid a few weeks ago with the potential i saw in the phone's hardware, and now theres software to start taking full advantage of the phone (android 2.1 leak :-D)

im coming from the htc touch HD/htc touch pro 2. i hate windows mobile but i was very used to flashing roms on those devices, however it wasnt nearly as complex as android with going into command line interfaces and stuff.

im very interested in flashing roms and rooting and all that good stuff however:

the problem is iiii dont have a clue as to how to flash a rom in the slightest. i know most of u on these forums are android masters and therefore ur instructions are semi vague (or maybe i just dont understand them) however if someone could give me step by step instructions on how to flash a rom *edit someone did and i've used it to make this guide :-)

what i started off with:

pulled my phone out of the box.

i am using firmware 1.6

kernel 2.6.29

build number acer_liquid_1.001.05_AAP_CSL

then i went to that tutorial wiki page: step by step guide to doing stuff on the acer liquid

and i beleive i successfully rooted the phone. i was able to get into the bootloader and i used ALTERNATE superboot because i was using AAP_CSL as it said. in hte instructions.

from there i've tried to apply a custom recovery image, however i cannot enter the recovery mode for some reason. ive used all key combos, and ive tried to use a program called quick boot as well however it just cycles through the startup showing acer, android, and then homescreen as normal. becuase of this i cant make a recovery image. so im a bit confused on that part.

beyond that ive downloaded acer tools and completed all the updates on that, and ive also downloaded ANDROID SDK which has adb in it.

EDIT: STEPS POSTED HERE BELOW SO ITS EASY TO FIND

hey everyone!

i managed to successfully install the community acer liquid 2.1 rom VERION 1.0 which can be found here: *edit im not sure if these steps apply to any ROM, maybe its just for the community rom, someone please clearify this.

http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid-commu...rom-bugtracker/

its based on angio's 1.8

FOR TOTAL NOOBS: FOLLOW THESE STEPS (mostly taken from the wiki page)

Tutorial to Root and install the new rom!

Requirements:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5RC8AM1F ACER_LiquidE...bin

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E5PTHL3O Acer Liquid drivers for Windows

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EF2QNANO Acer A1 Download Tool

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DRU1JIWI Superboot

Our latest ROM, look for it here: http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid-commu.../downloads/list

1) Unpack the drivers.

If you have a 32-Bit version of Windows, go to the folder x86, if you have a 64-Bit version, go to the x64 folder.

Then run the setup.exe and follow the instructions to install the drivers.

2) Unpack the Acer A1 Tool.

Run the ACER Download Tool. Click "Browse" and select the downloaded ACER_LiquidE...bin. Attach your Acer Liquid while it is normally turned on using a USB cable. when the ACER Download tool says 'Connected' in green, then press Start. It should start flashing the stock Éclair image.

Don't interrupt this process!!

This will take some time so be patient, and when it is complete it should say something like successfully flashed rom in ACER Download Tools.

WHILE THE PHONE IS STILL PLUGGED INTO THE COMPUTER USING USB

3) Unpack the Superboot.zip into a folder that you can find

Run the install-Superboot-<Your OS>.bat or .sh.

***NOTE, when i tried this it just said 'waiting for device' in a CMD window and did not do anything. im not sure at this point if what i did was right or if i was supposed to know this lol....i just assumed things and it worked out okay...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

what i did from here is that i followed this:

if the phone is on, turn it off.

UNPLUG THE PHONE FROM THE USB

PRESS Volume Up + Camera button + Power button, the phone will vibrate twice but stay turned off, take the battery out, and plug the phone into the computer again using the usb cable.

at this point u should see it saying USB fastboot: and stuff, the last line should say usb_init. the top of the screen i believe is supposed to flicker.

IF U DONT SEE THIS and the phone turns back on as normal, try it again.

PUT THE BATTERY BACK IN.

NOW run the install-Superboot-<Your OS>.bat or .sh.

and it should work, you should see a few things happening on ur phone and in the CMD window on ur computer. and ur phone will restart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~

THE PHONE SHOULD STILL BE CONNECTED BY USB TO UR COMPUTER

Wait until it's booted and then put our latest ROM .zip into the root of the SDCard. root means the main area of ur SD card, not inside a folder or anything.

Double-Click the file "Reboot to recovery.bat". which is located in ur superboot folder on ur laptop

Then wait until the device is rebooted into recovery. u should see a menu screen of sorts with a bunch of options. u can navigate this by following the instructions on the screen (volume up down to go through the menu and the MENU button (most right button) to select things).

Navigate to "apply any .zip from SD" and push the menu key, and then choose the ROM and press menu again. it should ask to confirm this by pressing the home button (the most left button).

Wait for the installation to finish.

Reboot.

Congrats, you're done!

~~~~~~~~~

i hope this helped, i tried to go to the very basics for first time liquid and android users who may be afraid of messing up their phones.

most of the instructions are from the wiki page by Maxisma, behnaam and Angio

also i recieved help from this thread by designgears

thanks to all of you and everyone else who helped. anyone else who tries the instructions i posted please let us know if u can confirm it being accurate!

Edited by Running_Roti

Guest designgears

download the android sdk and uzip it to an easy to find location

download and install the drivers

copy Angio's update.zip to the root of your sdcard

First, flash the stock 2.1 from Angio's post with the acer download tool

Root your device - under 2.1 the button combo has changed. With the usb cable UNPLUGGED - Volume Up + Camera + Power, the phone will vibrate twice, pull the battery out, plug in the usb cable, put the battery back in and wait for fastboot.

Once fastboot has loaded:

Flash lickonn's recovery img : fastboot -i 0x0502 flash recovery recovery.img

pull the battery, unplug the usb cable, put the battery back in.

enter recovery mode. cable should be unplugged still - Volume Up + Camera + Power, the phone will vibrate twice, pull the battery out, put it back in, Volume Down + Camera + Power, the phone with vibrate 3 times, wait and recovery mode will load up

factory reset

format dalvik

flash any zip from the sdcard - select Angio's 2.1 that you put on before we started.

reboot and enjoy a rooted 2.1 :D

Edited by designgears

Guest Running_Roti

hey

thanks a lot for the instructions!

i will probably just test it tomorrow when angio releases his latest update for 2.1!

i'll try and document everything i do so that i can help add to the tutorial wiki page :-)

i will let u know what happens!

thanks

Guest Shreedhan

I rooted my stock Liquid yesterday (how do I check if it's rooted?)

I also applied lickonn's recovery.img but I can't boot into recovery mode to do a nandroid backup. I've tried the hardware combos.

Here's what I do:

1. Takeout battery

2. Plug in USB cable

3. When I see empty battery logo I put battery back in.

4. Hold Volume Down and Power.

It either does nothing or just boots up normally. Any help?

Guest Quipeace

Hello,

I'm in pretty much the same position here, although I still have to recieve my Liquid. It's my first android phone so I feel kind of lost :D

Please let us know how you did, Running_Roti :D.

By the way, is Angio's custom rom a true 2.1, or version 1.6 made to look like 2.1?

Guest Running_Roti

hey everyone!

i managed to successfully install the community acer liquid 2.1 rom VERION 1.0 which can be found here: *edit im not sure if these steps apply to any ROM, maybe its just for the community rom, someone please clearify this.

its based on angio's 1.8

Requirements:

Our latest ROM, look for it here: http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid-community-rom-bugtracker/downloads/list

1) Unpack the drivers.

If you have a 32-Bit version of Windows, go to the folder x86, if you have a 64-Bit version, go to the x64 folder.

Run the ACER Download Tool. Click "Browse" and select the downloaded ACER_LiquidE...bin. Attach your Acer Liquid while it is normally turned on using a USB cable. when the ACER Download tool says 'Connected' in green, then press Start. It should start flashing the stock Éclair image.

This will take some time so be patient, and when it is complete it should say something like successfully flashed rom in ACER Download Tools.

***NOTE, when i tried this it just said 'waiting for device' in a CMD window and did not do anything. im not sure at this point if what i did was right or if i was supposed to know this lol....i just assumed things and it worked out okay...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PRESS Volume Up + Camera button + Power button, the phone will vibrate twice but stay turned off, take the battery out, and plug the phone into the computer again using the usb cable.

at this point u should see it saying USB fastboot: and stuff, the last line should say usb_init. the top of the screen i believe is supposed to flicker.

PUT THE BATTERY BACK IN.

and it should work, you should see a few things happening on ur phone and in the CMD window on ur computer. and ur phone will restart

~

Wait until it's booted and then put our latest ROM .zip into the root of the SDCard. root means the main area of ur SD card, not inside a folder or anything.

Double-Click the file "Reboot to recovery.bat". which is located in ur superboot folder on ur laptop

Then wait until the device is rebooted into recovery. u should see a menu screen of sorts with a bunch of options. u can navigate this by following the instructions on the screen (volume up down to go through the menu and the MENU button (most right button) to select things).

Navigate to "apply any .zip from SD" and push the menu key, and then choose the ROM and press menu again. it should ask to confirm this by pressing the home button (the most left button).

Reboot.

Congrats, you're done!

~~~~~~~~~

i hope this helped, i tried to go to the very basics for first time liquid and android users who may be afraid of messing up their phones.

thanks to all of you and everyone else who helped. anyone else who tries the instructions i posted please let us know if u can confirm it being accurate!

Edited by Running_Roti

Guest glassman2010

I don't think so, as of now (as written in one of Angio's post, nandroid backup is not working). It seems that disc0 is working on a 2.1 recovery that would handle backup.

Guest Running_Roti
I don't think so, as of now (as written in one of Angio's post, nandroid backup is not working). It seems that disc0 is working on a 2.1 recovery that would handle backup.

agreed, from what i understand the nandroid backup isnt working as mentioned in angio's post, however im not sure if thats the case for the community rom as well, however the instructions they posted did not include a nandroid back up which is why i didnt do it!

Guest Running_Roti

hey

just a quick question!

i have the custom community rom 1.0 installed. just wondering what exactly i must do to install 1.1

do i have to repeat the whole process? the rom said no wipe is required so im just wondering where i start.?

Guest teunke99
hey everyone!

its based on angio's 1.8

Requirements:

Our latest ROM, look for it here: http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid-community-rom-bugtracker/downloads/list

1) Unpack the drivers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PUT THE BATTERY BACK IN.

~

Reboot.

Congrats, you're done!

~~~~~~~~~

Hi thanks for the easy to use guide. I've followed the steps untill flashing the eclair stock rom. My Acer rebooted and I know seem to have a working 2.1 version of android. Any reason to finish the remaining steps?

thx

Guest Running_Roti
Hi thanks for the easy to use guide. I've followed the steps untill flashing the eclair stock rom. My Acer rebooted and I know seem to have a working 2.1 version of android. Any reason to finish the remaining steps?

thx

hey

i believe completing the rest of the steps allows u to root the rom with superboot, and also install the custom ROM (aka 1.0, now 1.1) which has optimized settings/modifications that the developers have created. so do it for the best speed and least bugs i guess :-)

Guest Running_Roti
Is it really? I've flashed the rom in the following link (http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid-community-rom-bugtracker/downloads/list) as stated in Running Roti's nice and handy guide. About Phone says OStype= donut. That's 1.6, isn't it? Firmware version is 2.1 though.

Do I have the right rom?

thx

hey

yes it does say donut, i just checked on my phone. but the rom is actually true 2.1. it has live wallpapers and all that good stuff that donut doesnt have. im not sure why it says donut but u do have the right rom if ur using the community rom :-)

Guest Running_Roti
I personally wouldnt install 2.1 yet, its still beta and SLOOOW

i agree

it is quite a bit slower than 1.6 because its not optimized for the phone as of yet. its probably best to wait for a more stable version from devs on this forum or just the official update.

its more for people who are messing around with their phones as a hobby more than for people who plan to use the phone for every day use. however i do like to mess around with my phones and mod them as i did with my HTC touch HD before this.

Guest robklaus

ok guys.. be easy.. I'm new to this

I've got 2.1 on the phone and everything is working fine

but i can't seem to get the phone to fastboot

I after acer tools is done the phone just reboots

everything works fine, my rom just isnt rooted :(

I've done the whole volume up + camera + power and the phone vibrates twice

but when i follow the directions to superboot the battery never goes away

I've also noticed if you do volume down + camera + power the phone vibrates 3 times?

Before I put 2.1 on the phone I actually superbooted the phone and it was a piece of cake now I'm lost??

im not sure if it matters but heres what i'm running

firmware

baseband

a1-03.05.02

kernel

Build

ACER_LiquidE_0.004.01_EMEA_GEN1

2.1 works great so far from what ive played with but i really would like to root so I can overclock

any help would be appreciated

thanks!

Guest teunke99
ok guys.. be easy.. I'm new to this

I've got 2.1 on the phone and everything is working fine

but i can't seem to get the phone to fastboot

I after acer tools is done the phone just reboots

everything works fine, my rom just isnt rooted :(

I've done the whole volume up + camera + power and the phone vibrates twice

but when i follow the directions to superboot the battery never goes away

I've also noticed if you do volume down + camera + power the phone vibrates 3 times?

Before I put 2.1 on the phone I actually superbooted the phone and it was a piece of cake now I'm lost??

im not sure if it matters but heres what i'm running

firmware

baseband

a1-03.05.02

kernel

Build

ACER_LiquidE_0.004.01_EMEA_GEN1

2.1 works great so far from what ive played with but i really would like to root so I can overclock

any help would be appreciated

thanks!

Hi,

you have to do exactly as Running Roti stated in his guide. Keep trying, it took me a couple of times as well.

gl

Guest verser233

Hello!

I Tried to follow the instructions, but When it says: "if the phone is on, turn it off.

at this point u should see it saying USB fastboot: and stuff, the last line should say usb_init. the top of the screen i believe is supposed to flicker."

When I plug in back to usb, i can't see anything, nothing happens!

What should i Do?

robklaus, What did u do EXACTLY?

Guest WillSm@k
Hello!

I Tried to follow the instructions, but When it says: "if the phone is on, turn it off.

at this point u should see it saying USB fastboot: and stuff, the last line should say usb_init. the top of the screen i believe is supposed to flicker."

When I plug in back to usb, i can't see anything, nothing happens!

What should i Do?

robklaus, What did u do EXACTLY?

i got the same situation here...i tried all button combination but still not getting my liquid rooted...

Could any master help on us?

Guest verser233

I've managed to solve my problem finnally :(

Ok, here it is mine version:

When u put/installed the bin with acer download tool and every process finish, turn off your phone, UNplugged the usb cable from the pc!

Volume up+camera+power button combination; it will vibrate twice.

Now remove battery from the phone and plug in usb cable to pc.

Acer text will appear in a sec.

And u will be in fastboot screen with usb init.

Replace the battery.

double click on install-superboot-windows.bat file on your pc.

Now, wait until android system boot on your phone

If you still don't copy the custom rom in zip to root of sd card, do it now.

Double click on Reboot to recovery.bat file.

Now, you should be in recovery menu.

Apply any rom in sd card.

When it's finished to install the custom rom, do a factory reset and reboot system.

enjoy your new Rom :(

Guest Running_Roti
I've managed to solve my problem finnally :(

Ok, here it is mine version:

When u put/installed the bin with acer download tool and every process finish, turn off your phone, UNplugged the usb cable from the pc!

Volume up+camera+power button combination; it will vibrate twice.

Now remove battery from the phone and plug in usb cable to pc.

Acer text will appear in a sec.

And u will be in fastboot screen with usb init.

Replace the battery.

double click on install-superboot-windows.bat file on your pc.

Now, wait until android system boot on your phone

If you still don't copy the custom rom in zip to root of sd card, do it now.

Double click on Reboot to recovery.bat file.

Now, you should be in recovery menu.

Apply any rom in sd card.

When it's finished to install the custom rom, do a factory reset and reboot system.

enjoy your new Rom :(

hey guys

sorry my instructions arent working! they worked when i did it :S... im just as new at this as u guys are lol so try the instructions from verser, if anyone can confirm its working i will modify the starting post with his instructions :-)