Unpatched SPLs

Guest Eddie1506

Guest Eddie1506

Hi,

I will be getting my brand new G2 in a few days and I was reading around for last couple of days to figure out the whole root process.

I have a couple of questions about SPLs.

I'm from Croatia and T-Mobile in here is well known for not being very eager in installing newer ROM updates to devices they ship, so there's an offchance of getting a G2 with older SPL that allows fastboot boot to custom recovery.

Now, my questions are:

1) How do I find out which version of SPL I have?

2) What is the last known version of SPL that allows fastboot boot to custom recovery?

3) Can I backup original recovery from inside let's say Amon RA's recovery?

4) Is GoldCard method needed if I have unpatched SPL? If it is, why is that? Can't I just install custom recovery and from within it install prerooted generic HTC 2.73 roms or Modaco 3.1 roms?

Thanks for helping out a newbie to understand Android :D

Guest Dr. dre
Hi,

I will be getting my brand new G2 in a few days and I was reading around for last couple of days to figure out the whole root process.

I have a couple of questions about SPLs.

I'm from Croatia and T-Mobile in here is well known for not being very eager in installing newer ROM updates to devices they ship, so there's an offchance of getting a G2 with older SPL that allows fastboot boot to custom recovery.

Now, my questions are:

1) How do I find out which version of SPL I have?

2) What is the last known version of SPL that allows fastboot boot to custom recovery?

3) Can I backup original recovery from inside let's say Amon RA's recovery?

4) Is GoldCard method needed if I have unpatched SPL? If it is, why is that? Can't I just install custom recovery and from within it install prerooted generic HTC 2.73 roms or Modaco 3.1 roms?

Thanks for helping out a newbie to understand Android :D

1) Just Run bootloader by holding the back button with power and see the version no.

2) I just don't remember the version no. but if you have a 1.76 ROM then you have the old bootloader but if you have the

new 2.73 ROM then you gonna be having the new bootloader.

3) No Need to, if you want to go to the stock T-Mobile you can just install the RUU to get the stock T-Mobile ROM and SPL

4) No! if you have an unlocked SPL you don't need to follow the Goldcard method and Yes! you can install just the custom

recovery and flash new ROM, just let me know the ROM version when you get the phone. then i'll be able to help you

better because if you have the T-Mobile 1.76 ROM then you can use the flashrec method of flashing custom recovery

and if you have a 2.73 ROM, then i'm sorry to say but you have to do the Goldcard method to flash custom recovery.

Guest Eddie1506

Thanks for your answers mate.

About question no. 3. T-Mobile here doesn't provide downloable RUU's for any of it's phones so I still need to back up the original recovery :D

Guest Eddie1506

Thanks! Saw that topic already.

What you're saying is, that T-Mobile in every country uses UK T-Mobile ROM for it's handsets? What about UI translations to Croatian for example? Are they present in TM UK RUU? Cause carriers here in Croatia cannot sell phones that don't have the ability to set the UI language to Croatian.

On a slightly related matter... I never use other UI language than English on my phone/PC but I certanly do use Croatian keyboard layouts that have Croatian letters (č, ć, ž ,š, đ, Č, Ć, Ž, Š, Đ). Do Modaco's ROM and generic HTC ROM for Hero have the ability to input such letters or only English? Can you check if any keyboard layouts have standard English characters plus those that I mentioned?

Guest Dr. dre
Thanks! Saw that topic already.

What you're saying is, that T-Mobile in every country uses UK T-Mobile ROM for it's handsets? What about UI translations to Croatian for example? Are they present in TM UK RUU? Cause carriers here in Croatia cannot sell phones that don't have the ability to set the UI language to Croatian.

On a slightly related matter... I never use other UI language than English on my phone/PC but I certanly do use Croatian keyboard layouts that have Croatian letters (č, ć, ž ,š, đ, Č, Ć, Ž, Š, Đ). Do Modaco's ROM and generic HTC ROM for Hero have the ability to input such letters or only English? Can you check if any keyboard layouts have standard English characters plus those that I mentioned?

Yes! there are Croatian letter's on the keyboard. Both Modaco and HTC Generic ROM have this facility.

Guest Eddie1506

Hey Dr.Dre, just got my G2. Version is not 1.76 unfortunately, but still it's an older 2.73 version (2.73.116.61).

So I can just use flashrec to patch custom recovery and then directly flash Modaco ROM?

Guest Dr. dre
Hey Dr.Dre, just got my G2. Version is not 1.76 unfortunately, but still it's an older 2.73 version (2.73.116.61).

So I can just use flashrec to patch custom recovery and then directly flash Modaco ROM?

Congratulation for The phone, I'm not sure but you can give it a try, go ahead and give it a try.

theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-root-your-htc-hero-in-one-click/

Guest Eddie1506

Didn't work unfortunately :(

I had to use GoldCard method to install 405.5 generic version and from there on, everything went smoothly and now I'm happily running Modaco 3.1 with Amon RA's recovery and latest radio.

Anyway, thanks for all the help! :(

Edited by Eddie1506

Guest Dr. dre
Didn't work unfortunately :(

I had to use GoldCard method to install 405.5 generic version and from there on, everything went smoothly and now I'm happily running Modaco 3.1 with Amon RA's recovery and latest radio.

Anyway, thanks for all the help! :(

Not a Problem. :(