[email protected] with Wavesecure stolen, help!

Guest RTX101

Hello everyone!

Just some hours ago while I was sleeping, a burglar stole my Hero (GSM Asia, MCR 3.1 with Wavesecure) :D . I registered an account on Wavesecure website. Now the burglar turned my phone off so I cant control any of the security functions. So I have some question hoping you may help me to recover my lovely Hero.

Assuming that the thieft turns my phone on with another sim card (I dont want to lock my phone so I can trace his activities):

1- Without Mobile Data (EDGE) turned on, and without Wifi coverage, can I trace my phone's location using its GPS through Wavesecure website?

2- If I lock my phone with Wavesecure, can he (the thieft) uninstall it? Or can he use Recovery Mode (at start up) to wipe my phone so he can reinstall another ROM to use/sell it?

3- I dont know what to ask yet, maybe you can give me some advise?

I love my Hero so much that I dont want to loose it, please tell me what should I do now?

Aside info: This burglar has stolen many things from me for over a year including 2 laptops, 1 Playstation2, 3 phones (Blackberry8100, Bold, and now the HTC Hero), and some hundreds of bucks while I was sleeping. You may think it's kind of shame that why I let him act so easily... please dont ask, just help me! I really want to catch him, and maybe beat the s**t out of him then turn him to police.

BIG THANKS!!!!!!!!

Edited by RTX101

Guest ksolheim

Sorry to hear about your phone.

I just checked if you can trace your phone with Mobile Data and wifi turned of and you can, however my result was terribly inaccurate. About 1000-1500 meter error.

Wavesecure can be uninstalled by wiping and installing a new rom.

My best advice is to issue a lock from the website with alternate contact info and hope for the best.

Good luck.

Hello everyone!

Just some hours ago while I was sleeping, a burglar stole my Hero (GSM Asia, MCR 3.1 with Wavesecure) :D . I registered an account on Wavesecure website. Now I the burglar turned my phone off so I cant control any of the security functions. So I have some question hoping you may help me to recover my lovely Hero.

Assuming that the thieft turns my phone on with another sim card (I dont want to lock my phone so I can trace his activities):

1- Without Mobile Data (EDGE) turned on, and without Wifi coverage, can I trace my phone's location using its GPS through Wavesecure website?

2- If I lock my phone with Wavesecure, can he (the thieft) uninstall it? Or can he use Recovery Mode (at start up) to wipe my phone so he can reinstall another ROM to use/sell it?

3- I dont know what to ask yet, maybe you can give me some advise?

I love my Hero so much that I dont want to loose it, please tell me what should I do now?

Aside info: This burglar has stolen many things from me for over a year including 2 laptops, 1 Playstation2, 3 phones (Blackberry8100, Bold, and now the HTC Hero), and some hundreds of bucks while I was sleeping. You may think it's kind of shame that why I let him act so easily... please dont ask, just help me! I really want to catch him, and maybe beat the s**t out of him then turn him to police.

BIG THANKS!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately changing the sim usually locks the phone via wave secure, unless you changed that setting previously.

As for uninstall, presuming you used the update.zip to put it in, it can't be uninstalled as an app. A wipe also won't remove It, but flashing another Rom or using adb to remove the apk will work. Have you told your mobile network, since the their could run up bills you would be liable for until the sim is cancelled?

Hope you get this sorted. I won't ask, but the circumstances sound weird...

If thief turns on phone, the track tab of ws site should show you his number. You could try sending an unlock command from there if you're wanting location etc. If you do get location, set site to track every 15 mins to give you info. You can also backup calls and messages to get access to any numbers they call/text.

Hope you get it back though. Personally, I reckon Issues like this should be able to be dealt with via extreme methods, particularly as this sounds targeted, but that may not be 'compatible' with your local laws :lol: (politically correct Britain would be one example. You don't really have right to defend yourself any more here, because the criminal is merely exercising his right to steal from you. Just bring back private weapons licensing and watch the crime figures fall over time, as the law abiding populace fight back against crime)

/End rant (sorry) :D

Sorry to hear about your phone.

I just checked if you can trace your phone with Mobile Data and wifi turned of and you can, however my result was terribly inaccurate. About 1000-1500 meter error.

Wavesecure can be uninstalled by wiping and installing a new rom.

My best advice is to issue a lock from the website with alternate contact info and hope for the best.

Good luck.

Thanks ksolheim for replying!

So even I lock the phone, they still can wipe it, install another rom which is not included with Wavesecure then they still can use my phone?

That means Wavesecure is useless in the end... :D

Unfortunately changing the sim usually locks the phone via wave secure, unless you changed that setting previously.

As for uninstall, presuming you used the update.zip to put it in, it can't be uninstalled as an app. A wipe also won't remove It, but flashing another Rom or using adb to remove the apk will work. Have you told your mobile network, since the their could run up bills you would be liable for until the sim is cancelled?

Hope you get this sorted. I won't ask, but the circumstances sound weird...

If thief turns on phone, the track tab of ws site should show you his number. You could try sending an unlock command from there if you're wanting location etc. If you do get location, set site to track every 15 mins to give you info. You can also backup calls and messages to get access to any numbers they call/text.

Hope you get it back though. Personally, I reckon Issues like this should be able to be dealt with via extreme methods, particularly as this sounds targeted, but that may not be 'compatible' with your local laws :D (politically correct Britain would be one example. You don't really have right to defend yourself any more here, because the criminal is merely exercising his right to steal from you. Just bring back private weapons licensing and watch the crime figures fall over time, as the law abiding populace fight back against crime)

/End rant (sorry) :D

Thanks Pulser!

It sounds hopeless. The main aim of this situation is that I want to stop the bad things that happen to me all over again. Despite of how watchful I am, he still can do it. I dont understand, too!

Guest tdohappens

wait until he puts in another sim, get the number through wavesecure

he will probably take out the sim if it's not working ...

if you have the number you can go to your network provider and ask them for the person who owns the number

if this doesn't help ... he now probably has his sim in a working phone. call him and say you're sargent [name] from the police, you know he stole the phone and tell him to come to the police station, where you will be waiting for him. or tell him to send the phone and other stuff he stole from you to an address so he doesn't go to jail or smth like that, and you both are happy

chances are that if you know the thief, so by finding the phone number you also find out that he is someone you know

btw: change your voice, make it sound real. don't tell anybody about what you're doing, about the phone having wavesecure

good luck, this needs a win

Guest stevenz

Sounds like you know who the guy is, just report him to the authorities.

WaveSecure is there to stop the average non-tech savvy thief. It's not much use against someone who knows how to use Recovery mode etc.

All you can do is issue the commands from the wavesecure site and hopefully if he turns it back on it'll register with the site and you can get the details.

Edited by stevenz