Changing Hero's main Font.

Guest Benjay09

Guest Benjay09

Hi everybody !!

I'm new here , but i've spent a lot of time reading this forum , to customize my Hero.

I had an Orange branded Hero , and now it's rooted , running MCR 3.1 , with black-eclair theme , and the flipclock widget.

First , i must thank all the people who wrote tutorial to achieve this.

Now i have a little question.

While i was browsing the forum , i found this :

http://android.modaco.com/content-page/299...-hero/page/90/# (post #110)

You can see in the screenshots (and the description) that the main font of his Hero has been replaced with the Ubuntu titling one.

I think it makes a really nice effect , and i'd like to do the same.

Does anyone know how i can do that ??

I can install update.zip , .apk , and i can run adb commands to push pull files too (android SDK is installed).

I've already found the font , i just need to know how to replace it ^^

(maybe it's not that simple......)

Many thanks for your help :(

Edited by Benjay09

Guest commodoor
Hi everybody !!

I'm new here , but i've spent a lot of time reading this forum , to customize my Hero.

I had an Orange branded Hero , and now it's rooted , running MCR 3.1 , with black-eclair theme , and the flipclock widget.

First , i must thank all the people who wrote tutorial to achieve this.

Now i have a little question.

While i was browsing the forum , i found this :

http://android.modaco.com/content-page/299...hero/page/100/#

You can see in the screenshots (and the description) that the main font of his Hero has been replaced with the Ubuntu titling one.

I think it makes a really nice effect , and i'd like to do the same.

Does anyone know how i can do that ??

I can install update.zip , .apk , and i can run adb commands to push pull files too (android SDK is installed).

I've already found the font , i just need to know how to replace it ^^

(maybe it's not that simple......)

Many thanks for your help :(

Maybe this will help hxxp://karuppuswamy.com/wordpress/2009/04/25/how-to-change-fonts-in-android/

Guest Benjay09

That's exactly what i was looking for :(

Many thanks , i'll give it a try as soon as possible.

Edit : well , not so hard to do , but finally it doesn't look really good ^^ (the font is too small)

maybe i'll have to find a better one than the Ubuntu.

Btw , thanks for your help :(

Edited by Benjay09

Edit : well , not so hard to do , but finally it doesn't look really good ^^ (the font is too small)

Yeah. It looks to be a bit too 'wide' or strong/bold a font (ie. doesn't read as well as the default one) IMHO. I wonder about a font like Calibri (presuming you complied with all licencing issues :(), as I always thought it was very readable on all backgrounds.

Guest Benjay09
Yeah. It looks to be a bit too 'wide' or strong/bold a font (ie. doesn't read as well as the default one) IMHO. I wonder about a font like Calibri (presuming you complied with all licencing issues :(), as I always thought it was very readable on all backgrounds.

I'll have a look at the Calibri font , thanks for the advice.

Guest commodoor

you can try changing font size with "spare parts" there is a option Font size.

Guest paulosman
you can try changing font size with "spare parts" there is a option Font size.

Unfortunately the Spare Parts Font resizing option doesn't work on the Hero. It will change them whilst you are in the Spare Parts app but as soon as you close it they all go back to normal.

Also its actually easier to use Root Explorer to change fonts. I have a bunch of font folders on my sdcard with the ttf files inside renamed up as DroidSans.ttf and DroidSans-Bold.ttf and all I do is copy the files from whichever font I wanna use and browse to /system/fonts/ and paste them over the ones in there, then reboot.

Works like a charm.

The only issue I found is some 2.1 roms get stuck in a bootloop after doing this. I found its due to the fonts permissions. Just check what the default font ones are first (long press font in Root Explorer > Permissions) and adjust your custom one to match.

hope this helps anyone.

Guest commodoor
Unfortunately the Spare Parts Font resizing option doesn't work on the Hero. It will change them whilst you are in the Spare Parts app but as soon as you close it they all go back to normal.

Also its actually easier to use Root Explorer to change fonts. I have a bunch of font folders on my sdcard with the ttf files inside renamed up as DroidSans.ttf and DroidSans-Bold.ttf and all I do is copy the files from whichever font I wanna use and browse to /system/fonts/ and paste them over the ones in there, then reboot.

Works like a charm.

The only issue I found is some 2.1 roms get stuck in a bootloop after doing this. I found its due to the fonts permissions. Just check what the default font ones are first (long press font in Root Explorer > Permissions) and adjust your custom one to match.

hope this helps anyone.

Ok nice to know, yhea i never used Font size in spare parts so didn't know it.