SMS notification

Guest jbrizz

My Hero (running all rooted generic .405 based firmwares I've tried, 405.5, .38, .66 and .73) has issues with the SMS notification using the default SMS app.

Quite often I'll get an SMS and the notification in the notification bar won't go away when I've read the message, and the trackball LED keeps flashing. A reboot doesn't fix it, nor does killing the messages process. I have to clear data in applications, this fixes it anywhere from 10 minutes to a few days.

I've found that using smspopup allows me to have a correctly working notification (and a handy popup :( ) but it flashes the top LED, not the trackball, so I can't tell if it's an email or an SMS. SMS generally being more important than email spam.

Does anyone know how to either make smspopup flash on the trackball or fix the problem with the unread notification not going away? Thank you!

Edited by jbrizz

I have answers for neither problem but handcent sms makes the trackball flash, perhaps try that.

I had a play with handcent, the UI is too inconsistent though, ruins the whole look of the phone. The notification icon is different, so is the home screen icon, the UI in the app isn't consistent with the rest sense either.

Yeah it's done it on every ROM I've tried, although I don't remember it happening at all early on when I got the phone, so I guess it could be caused by a certain app I installed, but all I have is sms popup, fring, estrongs task manager, simple last.fm scrobbler, astro file manager, shootme and facebook.

Guest Dr. dre
Yeah it's done it on every ROM I've tried, although I don't remember it happening at all early on when I got the phone, so I guess it could be caused by a certain app I installed, but all I have is sms popup, fring, estrongs task manager, simple last.fm scrobbler, astro file manager, shootme and facebook.

Then it is a caused by a software what you can do is uninstall every app one by one and try the notification thing then, personally i think it is caused by sms popup because it is the only app related to Messages, if this doesn't work either then try flashing a new ROM with wipe and install one app and check whether it works or not and carry on the same procedure.

I didn't install SMS popup until I had this problem, so it's definitely not caused by that, but I will try with a clean phone and add apps one by one till it happens. The only problem is it can sometimes be days before I see it.

Edited by jbrizz

I had a play with handcent, the UI is too inconsistent though, ruins the whole look of the phone. The notification icon is different, so is the home screen icon, the UI in the app isn't consistent with the rest sense either.

Handcent is totally customisable. There ils a actually a setting that changes the interface from iphone like to Hero like. Its easily better than the native HTC app IMO.