Silly person Hero Help

Guest darrendpb

Guest darrendpb

Ok I have just Got a Hero and no doubt you have seen posts like this many time, sorry.

The phone has just arrived and I have never used it, I am new to Android as you may guess!

Phone come with no software, Do I need to download anything, like some sort of sync software to do all the ROM flashing?

Anyway, phone is locked to Orange, I would like to unlock for o2 can some just tell me the steps to take to unlock and get the 3.1 Rom on.

I have seen this http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...on-your-device/ is this what I do first? or do I need to unlock first?

I have downloaded the above files and they are in a folder I created called HTC, I opened CMD and browsed to the HTC folder, I dried a few commands

like this adb-windows shell reboot bootloader but I get "is not recognised as a an internal or external command" do I need a sim in? the phone on or of?

Just need the steps please.

Kind regards,

Darren

Guest Dr. dre
Ok I have just Got a Hero and no doubt you have seen posts like this many time, sorry.

The phone has just arrived and I have never used it, I am new to Android as you may guess!

Phone come with no software, Do I need to download anything, like some sort of sync software to do all the ROM flashing?

Anyway, phone is locked to Orange, I would like to unlock for o2 can some just tell me the steps to take to unlock and get the 3.1 Rom on.

I have seen this http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...on-your-device/ is this what I do first? or do I need to unlock first?

I have downloaded the above files and they are in a folder I created called HTC, I opened CMD and browsed to the HTC folder, I dried a few commands

like this adb-windows shell reboot bootloader but I get "is not recognised as a an internal or external command" do I need a sim in? the phone on or of?

Just need the steps please.

Kind regards,

Darren

First of all unlock your device from here :-

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?act=an...f=409&id=12

OR

If you want to continue using it with Orange then let me know your Build No. in 'About Phone' in settings if the version is below or 2.73.405.5 then go here it is very easy :-

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-ro...o-in-one-click/

But if you have a version above this then go here :-

http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/18/how-to-do...-can-be-rooted/

This is the first step for flashing a custom ROM(You have to flash a custom recovery first).

Edited by Dr. dre

Guest darrendpb
First of all unlock your device from here :-

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?act=an...f=409&id=12

OR

If you want to continue using it with Orange then let me know your Build No. in 'About Phone' in settings if the version is below or 2.73.405.5 then go here it is very easy :-

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-ro...o-in-one-click/

But if you have a version above this then go here :-

http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/18/how-to-do...-can-be-rooted/

This is the first step for flashing a custom ROM(You have to flash a custom recovery first).

Right I have paid the 15 euro and downloaded the software, got the code and put my ot sim in and entered the code XXXXXXXXXXX it says code successful, but then I get a thing spinning saying unlocking sim card! ? it did this for ages so I tried again, removed the battery and did the same, code ok, now its doing the same saying unlocking Sim card? whats this all about???

Simcard picture with a cross through it , dam I used the site sponsor one you said, not good!!! Help pls

Guest Dr. dre
Right I have paid the 15 euro and downloaded the software, got the code and put my ot sim in and entered the code XXXXXXXXXXX it says code successful, but then I get a thing spinning saying unlocking sim card! ? it did this for ages so I tried again, removed the battery and did the same, code ok, now its doing the same saying unlocking Sim card? whats this all about???

Simcard picture with a cross through it , dam I used the site sponsor one you said, not good!!! Help pls

Did you followed the steps carefully :-

* Enter a Non Accepted Sim card

* Turn on the phone

* The phone will ask for the unlock code, enter the code displayed in the client.

What you do is just post your problem on that post (Unlock Phone) the other persons would be able to help you definitely.

Edited by Dr. dre

Guest irishandrew

* Turn on the phone

* The phone will ask for the unlock code, enter the code displayed in the client.

What you do is just post your problem on that post (Unlock Phone) the other persons would be able to help you definitely.

@Derandpp

New Orange phones don't accept the standard HTC unlock codes - it's an attempt to force you to use the orange SIM for 3 months before they charge you for an unlock code. The code *WILL* work, but you will need to flash a custom ROM first.

Follow the steps in the posts outlined above to install a recovery image, then download MoDaCo from this site (3.1 currently free for use, and I'm sure 3.2 will come out of beta soon). Once you have flashed the new ROM put your non-Orange SIM in and boot the phone - your current unlock code should work fine now.

Hope this helps,

Andrew.

Edited by irishandrew

Guest darrendpb

* Turn on the phone

Yes I did this and its just looping ( I dont want to use the rebels sim that person is pushing ) It looks common with Orange, Should I get a refund from the forum sponsor Totalgsm as it has not done as they said it would on the website?

and I dont know how to check what version I have as with the o2 sim in it does this looping saying unlocking sim, and with out a sim in it goes through the setup but asks me to pit a sim in???

Darren

Edited by darrendpb

Guest Dr. dre
Yes I did this and its just looping ( I dont want to use the rebels sim that person is pushing ) It looks common with Orange, Should I get a refund from the forum sponsor Totalgsm as it has not done as they said it would on the website?

Darren

Dude just read the above post it says first flash custom recovery then flash a custom ROM like Modaco Custom ROM and then unlock your phone and it will work.

Guest darrendpb
Dude just read the above post it says first flash custom recovery then flash a custom ROM like Modaco Custom ROM and then unlock your phone and it will work.

Do I have to downgrade it first? with the gold thingy? as I will have to pop out and get a micro sd adapter.

Darren

Guest darrendpb
What's your Build No. ?

How do I find this? I dont know how to check what version I have as with the o2 sim in it does this looping saying unlocking sim, and with out a sim in it goes through the setup but asks me to pit a sim in???

so cant get to the home screen, is there another way?

Guest Dr. dre
How do I find this? I dont know how to check what version I have as with the o2 sim in it does this looping saying unlocking sim, and with out a sim in it goes through the setup but asks me to pit a sim in???

so cant get to the home screen, is there another way?

Arrange an orange sim because even if you get the phone's build no. you have to switch on the phone to get the custom recovery image.

Guest darrendpb
Arrange an orange sim because even if you get the phone's build no. you have to switch on the phone to get the custom recovery image.

Ok mate ill get an Orange sim and then I will keep you posted, thank you for helping me so far.

Darren

Guest darrendpb
Anytime. :(

Ok I have the orange card, but I dont have any usb drivers for the phone I stared following the steps on section 1 HOW TO SETUP ADB/USB DRIVERS. but everytime I plug the usb cable is on XP if says found new hardware Android Phone but cant find the drivers, how do I know are where do I get the correct USB drivers for my phone?

Darren

Guest Dr. dre
Ok I have the orange card, but I dont have any usb drivers for the phone I stared following the steps on section 1 HOW TO SETUP ADB/USB DRIVERS. but everytime I plug the usb cable is on XP if says found new hardware Android Phone but cant find the drivers, how do I know are where do I get the correct USB drivers for my phone?

Darren

You have to download HTC Sync software from HTC's site it will install the drivers as well as the Sync software.

Guest darrendpb
You have to download HTC Sync software from HTC's site it will install the drivers as well as the Sync software.

:(

Yes the instructions tell you to do this, but after you try and yet the serial number up?

I have done this now, but I am any as I cant do the other stuff, I dont really understand the gold card bit I did it as it said and then went to but the down graded rom on, it gets near the end bit saying writing signature but fails with the error [140] bootloader error and then says please get the correct update utilty and update your phone.

I have tried to other older one but the link is dead, I am now stuffed with this, Anyone>??????? please.

Darren

Guest Dr. dre
:(

Yes the instructions tell you to do this, but after you try and yet the serial number up?

I have done this now, but I am any as I cant do the other stuff, I dont really understand the gold card bit I did it as it said and then went to but the down graded rom on, it gets near the end bit saying writing signature but fails with the error [140] bootloader error and then says please get the correct update utilty and update your phone.

I have tried to other older one but the link is dead, I am now stuffed with this, Anyone>??????? please.

Darren

Dude install this version of RUU 2.73.405.5 and it will work, download it from here :-

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=559622

Guest darrendpb
Dude install this version of RUU 2.73.405.5 and it will work, download it from here :-

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=559622

Ok mate got it going.... at last.... kept putting in the commands and it kept saying "remote not allowed" looked at the bottom of the post and it said it wont work with this version.... so I did the home and power and added the 3.1.

Getting used to the phone now, will try the O2 sim and the unlock code now.

Silly question.... (or not!) I hold the home button down and there are 5 or 6 apps running, how do I shut these? I also can see a way to exit apps, it just leaves them running?

Darren

Guest Dr. dre
Silly question.... (or not!) I hold the home button down and there are 5 or 6 apps running, how do I shut these? I also can see a way to exit apps, it just leaves them running?

Darren

the 5 to 6 apps you see are the recent visited apps by you not the running ones and to close the programs(Kill Apps) download any task manager from the market, I personally use ES Task Manager.

Guest darrendpb
the 5 to 6 apps you see are the recent visited apps by you not the running ones and to close the programs(Kill Apps) download any task manager from the market, I personally use ES Task Manager.

Ahh I understand I thought they were running apps like a Symbian phone, many thanks.

On another note as I am really new to the phone and did all this before I even used it, what is the real big advantage of the rooting, I see on some sites it says the road to freedom!

To me it does not look anything as I did not really see or use it before, what special things can I do now that I could not do before?

Darren

Guest Dr. dre
Ahh I understand I thought they were running apps like a Symbian phone, many thanks.

On another note as I am really new to the phone and did all this before I even used it, what is the real big advantage of the rooting, I see on some sites it says the road to freedom!

To me it does not look anything as I did not really see or use it before, what special things can I do now that I could not do before?

Darren

There are many advantages of rooting your phone basically it depends on your usage :-

Here is a list of the benefits :-

1) You can overclock your phone processor by installing the overclock widget

2) Install Custom ROM's

3) full ADB control(Very usefull)

and many other.