Hero Disassembly

Guest Marcony0

Guest Marcony0

So, as it seems my hero is broken - i can't send it to repair service, because i live in Lebanon . I'm to up to the task of repairing it myself , as it seems it's the touch screen that needs to be replaced. And it seems this is the item : Htc Hero touch screen . I wasn't aware that the LCD screen and Touch are not the same, since my touch is not working the way it supposed to i guess that's the part i want to be replacing. can anyone help me out here ? I've been googling for tutorials but with no result, so i want to order that part but first i need to make sure that what i will be doing will be manageable by me or at least if i get the part myself i can give it to some other service center that knows and have tools to do that job fairly good. Thanks in advance.

PS: please correct me if i'm possibly mistaken somewhere here in my understanding in which part to replace.

Edited by Marcony0

Guest Marcony0
Here you go http://htcpedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1706 .

There is a video and a pdf on how to do it.

Well i have searched there ! one place i should and i haven't ! thanks :(

Now can anyone tell me if my assumptions are correct or wrong, that since the touch is failing here i should be replacing it. any suggestions ? or maybe some other web that i can get the screen and parts ?

Is the screen totally failing or just partially? Did your phone get wet? I saw a video somewhere that said a guy's hero screen stopped working at the bottom after it got damp. He fixed it by taking the back off, removing the battery and then leaving it on a radiator in a bag of rice overnight.

Hope that's useful. If not... good luck!

@Marcony0

Your spare part is correct.

I have changed my touch screen several times, it is quite easy to do.

You have to remove, in this order, the back, battery, SD card and your SIM card.

After you have removed them you have to open the screws (5 x Torx, 1x other)

After removing the screws open carefully, by using a thin plastic tool the side (left or right) of your hero. (loosen the snaps)

After you have removed the black plastic body you have the "circuit board" in front of you, open the 4 tiny screws (2 above and 2 down at the chin). Remove slowly the "circuit board", be careful no to rip off the two connectors which are above left and right (left one is small for the camera, right one is long for the display power supply), unclipp the connectors and remove the display. Now the display is connected with the last connector to the touch screen. Remove the connector on the backside of the display.

Now you have the front cover and the glued in touch screen in front of you. Due to the fact that your touch screen is broken you can push the old touch screen gently out of its place. Make sure your new touch screen has a glue strip up and down.

Replace the touch screen, DO NOT TOUCH the inner side of your new touch screen after you removed the foil!

Put it back to getter in the reverse way and you are done. :( ... You need help? PM me ...

Edited by Phanes

Guest Marcony0
@Marcony0

You have to remove, in this order, the back, battery, SD card and your SIM card.

After removing the screws open carefully, by using a thin plastic tool the side (left or right) of your hero. (loosen the snaps)

After you have removed the black plastic body you have the "circuit board" in front of you, open the 4 tiny screws (2 above and 2 down at the chin). Remove slowly the "circuit board", be careful no to rip off the two connectors which are above left and right (left one is small for the camera, right one is long for the display power supply), unclipp the connectors and remove the display. Now the display is connected with the last connector to the touch screen. Remove the connector on the backside of the display.

Now you have the front cover and the glued in touch screen in front of you. Due to the fact that your touch screen is broken you can push the old touch screen gently out of its place. Make sure your new touch screen has a glue strip up and down.

Replace the touch screen, DO NOT TOUCH the inner side of your new touch screen after you removed the foil!

Put it back to getter in the reverse way and you are done. :( ... You need help? PM me ...

Sounds good.. you know any other places i can order it from !? :( thanks

Sounds good.. you know any other places i can order it from !? :( thanks

Yes, I know somebody in the UK but they are T-Mobile labeled. The price your offer shows is not to bad. I don´t think you will find it cheaper. (Try looking at xBay.)

Guest infernal.king
So, as it seems my hero is broken - i can't send it to repair service, because i live in Lebanon . I'm to up to the task of repairing it myself , as it seems it's the touch screen that needs to be replaced. And it seems this is the item : Htc Hero touch screen . I wasn't aware that the LCD screen and Touch are not the same, since my touch is not working the way it supposed to i guess that's the part i want to be replacing. can anyone help me out here ? I've been googling for tutorials but with no result, so i want to order that part but first i need to make sure that what i will be doing will be manageable by me or at least if i get the part myself i can give it to some other service center that knows and have tools to do that job fairly good. Thanks in advance.

PS: please correct me if i'm possibly mistaken somewhere here in my understanding in which part to replace.

yes u have to replace the touch screen or digitiser. here are some instructions i found but they are in russian http://www.pdacenter.ru/razborka/htc_hero/

Guest Marcony0
@Marcony0

So i will ask you here, as in others can benefit from it.

so i don't have to use any oven to heat up the glue n push it out ? or use some kind of heat source to glue it back ? does it come with glue on the screen ? :(

Guest Phanes
So i will ask you here, as in others can benefit from it.

so i don't have to use any oven to heat up the glue n push it out ? or use some kind of heat source to glue it back ? does it come with glue on the screen ? :(

No oven, No heat source. It should come with two glue strips, already on the screen. (It is a kind of carpet glue covered by foil)

You have to have a little patience when pushing out the old digitizer (touch screen), because the two glue strips do their work really good.

Guest infernal.king

i have had the experience of doing this on my previous phone the HTC touch. As mentioned above u just have to push the digitiser from the inside out...it will come off. The new one typically SHOULD come with glue on it with a backing paper ( like stickers) and u just peel the backing paper off and stick it. However if it doesnt come with glue use a thin layer of synthetic rubber adhesive, never use instant glue as it will leave stains.