ROM builder wanabe

Guest mik-

Hi all,

I got a Hero since a couple of months now and tried nearly all custom ROM. I must say that the work of cookers is great and I thank them. They gave me interest in that field.

I'm a java dev since 5-6 years and Linux user/admin since more than that. I think I have enough skills to help the community.

As a start, I tried to follow instructions from the great jnwhiteh at http://www.modaco.com/lofiversion/index.php/t301857.html without success. Instructions are in the 3rd post and my problem the last post (or the one before) trying to execute the "repo" command. Sorry to ask you to go there to see my problem, but it's not as easy to copy/paste on the hero as on a PC.

Beside that problem, I got some questions to validate my understanding of ROM cooking/building. Am I wrong thinking there are two ways of doing it ? One that take sources (like AOSP) and the other being starting with an existing ROM ?

I'm used to playing with version control tools (mainly cvs and svn) so the git/repo is new to me. From my understanding, the main difference is that the git/repo thing let us "extend" another repository to make modifications on top of this repository and this can be done in chain. Am I wrong ?

Is this true that the ROM cooking How to from lox is for the second type of cooking (starting from an existing ROM) or did that just extract modules needed to boot correctly ?

I know this is a lot of questions, but if you can help me a little bit, I think I can give back part of my free-time playing with you to help make android better. I don't fear RTFM, so don't hesitate to point me some good reading if you don't feel repeating thing already written :(

mik

PS: Sorry for my english :( Like you probably see, this is not my primary language.

Hi all,

I got a Hero since a couple of months now and tried nearly all custom ROM. I must say that the work of cookers is great and I thank them. They gave me interest in that field.

I'm a java dev since 5-6 years and Linux user/admin since more than that. I think I have enough skills to help the community.

As a start, I tried to follow instructions from the great jnwhiteh at http://www.modaco.com/lofiversion/index.php/t301857.html without success. Instructions are in the 3rd post and my problem the last post (or the one before) trying to execute the "repo" command. Sorry to ask you to go there to see my problem, but it's not as easy to copy/paste on the hero as on a PC.

Beside that problem, I got some questions to validate my understanding of ROM cooking/building. Am I wrong thinking there are two ways of doing it ? One that take sources (like AOSP) and the other being starting with an existing ROM ?

I'm used to playing with version control tools (mainly cvs and svn) so the git/repo is new to me. From my understanding, the main difference is that the git/repo thing let us "extend" another repository to make modifications on top of this repository and this can be done in chain. Am I wrong ?

Is this true that the ROM cooking How to from lox is for the second type of cooking (starting from an existing ROM) or did that just extract modules needed to boot correctly ?

I know this is a lot of questions, but if you can help me a little bit, I think I can give back part of my free-time playing with you to help make android better. I don't fear RTFM, so don't hesitate to point me some good reading if you don't feel repeating thing already written :(

mik

PS: Sorry for my english :( Like you probably see, this is not my primary language.

Hi mik,

You are correct in saying that there are 2 types of rom cooking on the go. I can't really help with repos, as I mainly modify existing roms. To try and point you in the right direction, have a read of any older forum posts on xda developers that take your interest.

Unfortunately there isn't any one golden book to read that teaches you everything, but I managed to get from android noob to modifying my own roms and helping others within about 2 weeks. Having a grounding in linux and programming will help, and playing with adb shell to find out where stuff belongs was how I started.

Eg. Try and find the stores of application data, the system applications, the user applications, the hosts file, the init files etc. I know these are easy, but you get the idea. And when you find said things, be sure to delve around and see what else is there...

More ideas some other time.

Hth, pulser

Hi mik,

You are correct in saying that there are 2 types of rom cooking on the go. I can't really help with repos, as I mainly modify existing roms. To try and point you in the right direction, have a read of any older forum posts on xda developers that take your interest.

Unfortunately there isn't any one golden book to read that teaches you everything, but I managed to get from android noob to modifying my own roms and helping others within about 2 weeks. Having a grounding in linux and programming will help, and playing with adb shell to find out where stuff belongs was how I started.

Eg. Try and find the stores of application data, the system applications, the user applications, the hosts file, the init files etc. I know these are easy, but you get the idea. And when you find said things, be sure to delve around and see what else is there...

More ideas some other time.

Hth, pulser

Thx a lot.

I did a lot of reading and finally compiled the cyanogenmod for hero :(

Next step is to package it.

There is a lot of reading and trying in this field. You are right, there is no golden How-to.