upgrade my HTC hero from 1.5 to 2.0

Guest sickbay

Guest sickbay

Hey!

This is my first post so i'm sorry if i sound a bit noobishy :(

I have a HTC Hero with android 1.5 and i heard that maybe i should upgrade it to android 2.0... I have absolutely no hope that my provider will release any update anytime soon [ Orange ] so i have to do it manually. Is this even possible? If it is , how can i do , does anyone has any links/tips etc?

I live in Romania so i can't buy any paid app but i seen an ad here that i can buy a back up tool from sprintmobile.com --should i do that if i want to upgrade my hero?

I'm really confused with all that...

Guest commodoor
Hey!

I have a HTC Hero with android 1.5 and i heard that maybe i should upgrade it to android 2.0... I have absolutely no hope that my provider will release any update anytime soon [ Orange ] so i have to do it manually. Is this even possible? If it is , how can i do , does anyone has any links/tips etc?

I live in Romania so i can't buy any paid app but i seen an ad here that i can buy a back up tool from sprintmobile.com --should i do that if i want to upgrade my hero?

If your phone is rooted you can use custom ROMs. there are android 2.1 roms out there. but if i where you i should wait first for the official Hero 2.1 rom. because all the 2.1 out there aren't stable enough for everyday use, some driver issue's. But if the official rom comes out people here will make a custom rom for that so that you can update. you don't have to wait till orange releases a update.

The new rom should com out this month, i don't know the exact date. But i should wait a bit longer. follow Paul with mcr Rom. btw you don't have to pay to update but if you wan't to backup your apps there are paid apps.

Guest Carl_Brummy
Hey!

Hi,

Essentially there are many 2.x versions of Android being customized for Hero, however, none of them are completely stable, as there is no official version of 2.1 yet and this means the drivers required are missing for things like Camera and some graphics issues.

For the time being this is extremely experimental, although I am running a version of 2.1 from jnwhiteh which is based on cyanogenmod's 2.1 port. Besides the occasional glitch with known graphics/camera problems, it is usable on a daily basis.

In the meantime, try Paul's 1.5 customized ROM as this is very quick, and includes loads of additional features.

Guides for rooting, backup and updating are all over this forum.

In a nutshell, see unlockr.com for rooting your phone, then install AmonRa 1.5.3.1 reecovery image (links/instructions on the forum/google), then you can backup using Nandroid and update using a convenient zip method.

I would suggest partitioning your SDCARD in the phone to create an ext partition as this is useful for putting apps on the SDCARD instead of using up the built in phone memory.

Hope this helps in deciding where to go next...

Carl.

Guest sickbay

Oh wow.

It seems really complicated and overwhelming nevertheless i'll do some research and see if it's really that hard as well as what is the risk [ as in , how bad can i blew my phone if i try it and something goes wrong :( ]

Additional question:

My phone was "coded" on orange but i used a turbo-sim so it can work with my vodafone sim. If i root the phone is the turbo-sim still necessary?

Thanks again for the great answers!

Guest mikecoffee
rooting doesn't remove the sim lock. you will still need to use your turbo sim.

Turbo sim, isn't a great idea, it would be better to unlock your phone, its a little more difficult on orange but not too difficult as for the Rom Villians 2.1, 3.0beta is a very stable rom on xda.

I'm running both at the moment.