HTC sued by Apple for patent infringement

Guest Carl_Brummy

Guest Carl_Brummy

Oh dear.....surely the actual problem is with Android not HTC??? So technically speaking ANY touchscreen device that uses swipe scrolling, pinch zoom, multitouch is basically infringing Apples patents??? Like Apple are the only people to actually think of touch screen usage....

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1...40064628,00.htm

They have already sued Nokia on a similar line, who's next?

Carl.

Guest shokka9

swings and roundabouts......

But honestly, Apple have a cheek. Basically Nokia have virtually invented most things to do with Mobile Devices and therefore 'let' other manufacturers use their technology/development/etc for a FEE.

Apple appear to be the only ones who ARE NOT paying Nokia for this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/oc.../telecoms-nokia

Anyways, it's all fair in love and war!!

:(

Guest commodoor

Apple feels threatened by android, whahahahha they are sad :(

Long live Open Source :(

They say that everyone has to be original and don't steal from other. damn apple made a phone they stole the idea from Motorola hahhaa

Look at this >>

Comes from androidandme

Guest pulser

We need a 'Hitler's view on Apple suing HTC' video made ASAP. Any takers?

A bit like the one about Google's attempted takedown of Cyanogenmod... Then we could post it constantly on the apple forums until they groan under the stress (because their website will obviously be running on macs :()...

Or, maybe not. Either way, I'd love to watch a Hitler's View... video. I'm sure you could even get in a bit of 'Mein Fuehrer, but we have been infringing Nokia's patents for years' (no umlaut key on this stupid keyboard, and the alt code isn't working :(), and then 'Everybody who has got a hacked Android phone with multitouch leave the room...'

What is the world coming to these days??? Perhaps HTC should just release their hardware without multitouch, then allow the community to 're-enable it' with a little setprop command? Would remove the blame from them I guess.

Guest carlx

Any one who has followed Apple over the years know's that they alway do things like this, i'm by no mean a fan of Microsoft but i think some time's Apple get's off easy MS has windows Media Player Apple has Itune Ms has IE Apple has safri yet MS get's attact and Apple are the greatest, me i hope HTC and Nokia win's.

Guest stevenz

Apple largely benefit by having more rabid fanboys than pretty much any other technology company out there, their success has largely been by virtue of this fandom, as well as obviously frequently making genuinely good stuff. Most of the patents they're claiming are being infringed are indeed Android-centric rather than HTC themselves, a lot of them also cover a vast number of devices, and frequently are things that predate the iPhone by several years - but as the marvellous US patent office gave them the patents, they also gave them the right to sue people for using the "old" ideas.

Most of it will no doubt be thrown out in court, but Apple have billions of dollars in reserves and not a lot else to spend it on at the moment other than legal battles to try and cripple the competition, so some of them might stick and could do a fair bit of damage to HTC, although hopefully they've got the reserves to back it up.

At any rate, the biggest losers in this as per usual with tech lawsuits, will be the consumers due to stifled technological advancement. Thanks Steve.

They've got every right to defend their legitimate IP, but unfortunately most of these suits aren't genuinely to defend anything they've invented, just stuff they've patented :(

5 years ago I was really into Apple, over the past 2 years I've grown to loath their business practices and hamstrung hardware, and no longer have anything to do with them other than running OSX on a Hackintosh'ed PC (Mac Pro for 1/3 the price of a Mac Pro basically).

Guest MoWeb

I'm so sick of Apple and their controlling ways :( . They didn't want Palm to sync the Pre with iTunes and the kept patching iTunes every time Palm made the Pre sync. I really hope HTC comes out on top and Apple has to pay their legal fees. The "iPhone" when it came out was unique but now it's a passing fad and they know it. Apple is just nervous because everyone is making better phones with Android and even the Apple "Sheep" will stop following the Sheppard.

Go HTC, Google, and Android, squash Apple to applesauce.

Guest Rubber Ducky

[rude mode ON]F*** Apple. They don't have patented the GUI of all phones now, do they?[rude mode OFF]

Maybe this is the reason Android 2.1 is delayed?

Guest The_IMF
[rude mode ON]F*** Apple. They don't have patented the GUI of all phones now, do they?[rude mode OFF]

Maybe this is the reason Android 2.1 is delayed?

No, 2.1 is delayed for the Hero because I farted pretty loudly the other night.

Guest species8472
Microsoft is just as bad. Just boycott the buggers.

I hear you but Microsoft is not quite as bad as they own a couple patents that Apple infringed on with the iPod.. Creatived sued and was paid 100 million.. MS has chosen not to pursue Apple (yet). In my book they are one notch above Apple. :(

Guest species8472
swings and roundabouts......

But honestly, Apple have a cheek. Basically Nokia have virtually invented most things to do with Mobile Devices and therefore 'let' other manufacturers use their technology/development/etc for a FEE.

Apple appear to be the only ones who ARE NOT paying Nokia for this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/oc.../telecoms-nokia

Anyways, it's all fair in love and war!!

:(

Truly a sad day as Apple feels the iPhone should be the only Smartphone on the planet.. HTC and Android (and now Windows Phone 7) are wrecking Apple's Smartphone growth and as usual they choose to be petty in their response.. They should focus on the reasons people like me sold their iPhone (no multitask, No real home screen, crappy A2DP implementation, awful battery life, etc, etc)... :(

Guest volatile_ink

It's a little thing called 'competition'. Company X creates a product, Company Y improves it, Company X takes improvement and makes it's products even better... and repeat... If everyone accepted that the iPhone is the 'best phone in the world' (as iSteve recently stated in the iPad announcement) then there would be no progress!

iSteve if your reading this, rather than resorting to childlike tactics to deal with competition, why not do it the old fashioned way and make something better?

Guest Dark Riderz
I noticed that for some of my daily activities I am using both hands in the same time. Hope that Apple will not sue me. :(

hi hi hi :(

Guest paulsmith

This will drag on for years and years.

Apple have so much money it wont hurt them - but it could hurt HTC (stock prices , investment , expected future growth etc).

I dont think this affects anything in europe / rest of the world - but could be wrong.

Guest commodoor
All Google has to do is charge access to Google Maps for iPhone users. Tit for tat and all that jazz.

Why pay? remove all google products and give them no google access :( damn monotasking iphone

Guest MoWeb

I’ve just been reading some of the patents in question. They just about kill making any kind of a (decent) touchscreen phone by another company. There’s even a patent about digital cameras in the lawsuit. Apple is only going after HTC because they’re small. Apple is suing Nokia. It’s time all of the industry powerhouses join together to bring Apple down. Are you listening Microsoft, Sony, Samsung, LG, Nokia, etc? Help HTC win this thing.