MODACO ROM on [re]locked HERO

Guest ortholithos

Guest ortholithos

Hello -

I have a recently had my 1.76 t-mobile G2 Hero unlocked (£20) and intended to install Modaco custom ROM. but g-sensor accelerometer started playing up so i ended up sending it to HTC for repair. Apparently they will 'install the latest software' which means it will come back locked to t-mobile again. there's no vodafone ROM so I can't ask them to install that either.

My question is this: will I need to get the phone unlocked again, or will the ROM installation do that anyway?

Please can you tell me the sequence of steps I need to take if this can be done?

thanks,

Edited by ortholithos

Guest pulser
Hello -

I have a recently had my 1.76 t-mobile G2 Hero unlocked (£20) and intended to install Modaco custom ROM. but g-sensor accelerometer started playing up so i ended up sending it to HTC for repair. Apparently they will 'install the latest software' which means it will come back locked to t-mobile again. there's no vodafone ROM so I can't ask them to install that either.

My question is this: will I need to get the phone unlocked again, or will the ROM installation do that anyway?

Please can you tell me the sequence of steps I need to take if this can be done?

thanks,

If the IMEI is the same, and the phone is the same, then it should still be unlocked (as shenshang said).

If the IMEI is different and it is locked, then I guess you'd need a new unlocking code (since it depends on the IMEI). I doubt the radio would be replaced though, so I presume you'll just need to reinstall a decent rom like modaco...

Guest ortholithos
If the IMEI is the same, and the phone is the same, then it should still be unlocked (as shenshang said).

If the IMEI is different and it is locked, then I guess you'd need a new unlocking code (since it depends on the IMEI). I doubt the radio would be replaced though, so I presume you'll just need to reinstall a decent rom like modaco...

It's possible that customer services were covering their backs in case of motherboard or even entire phone replacement (so new IMEI) when they said phone would have latest rom and wouild be locked to T-mobile again.

so my question is will I need to pay for a new code or can I use a piggy back 'turbo' system like the one suggested in a earlier reply ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=140383822664 ) just to get out of t-mobile and install the modaco ROM.

thanks,

Guest shenshang

look at your box that your htc hero came in when you bought it, is the IMEI number the same as your phones? (check by typing *#06# into your phone) if it's the same, then the old unlock code will work. UNLESS you're talking about locking as in not rooted and wanna get a recovery image on. Well, if youve made a goldcard before, and the phone has the same IMEI, then that goldcard will work again.

Guest ortholithos
look at your box that your htc hero came in when you bought it, is the IMEI number the same as your phones? (check by typing *#06# into your phone) if it's the same, then the old unlock code will work. UNLESS you're talking about locking as in not rooted and wanna get a recovery image on. Well, if youve made a goldcard before, and the phone has the same IMEI, then that goldcard will work again.

sadly that is the problem - I no longer have the unlock code.

that's why I'm messing about trying to find alternative solutions (can't get my head round paying the 20 quid again!)

Guest cloneapoc
Hello -

thanks,

How did you manage to get a warranty repair on an ebay phone?

Guest Dreaming Sheep

Like everyone has been saying, if the phone is replaced with a new/refurbished one, then you'll have problems, otherwise you'll be fine! I've just got mine back from HTC, all they did was replace the USB connector, nothing else, so it's still unlocked.

They most likely will update the rom, which could prevent you from loading a custom rom. I'd suggest getting your hands on an old RUU (it will need to be the exe not an update.zip version) before sending it off. If you can't find one (had a few problems getting my hands on one as alot of places stopped hosting or only had the latest version) update your SPL before sending it off, that way you may still be able to use the heroimg.zip method (see my other posts or search the forum for all the links).

You could always try contecting the place you got you unlock code from and see if they can resend it to you, just saying you lost it. They might not charge as most of the work has already been done and they might have a database of previous codes, or they could just be friendly and have good customer services if it's the same IMEI. Worth trying.

I don't know anything about them, but that 'turbo' system dosen't look too kosher, but I might be wrong and lots of people are more than welcome to correct me :-D

Guest ortholithos
Like everyone has been saying, if the phone is replaced with a new/refurbished one, then you'll have problems, otherwise you'll be fine! I've just got mine back from HTC, all they did was replace the USB connector, nothing else, so it's still unlocked.

They most likely will update the rom, which could prevent you from loading a custom rom. I'd suggest getting your hands on an old RUU (it will need to be the exe not an update.zip version) before sending it off. If you can't find one (had a few problems getting my hands on one as alot of places stopped hosting or only had the latest version) update your SPL before sending it off, that way you may still be able to use the heroimg.zip method (see my other posts or search the forum for all the links).

You could always try contecting the place you got you unlock code from and see if they can resend it to you, just saying you lost it. They might not charge as most of the work has already been done and they might have a database of previous codes, or they could just be friendly and have good customer services if it's the same IMEI. Worth trying.

I don't know anything about them, but that 'turbo' system dosen't look too kosher, but I might be wrong and lots of people are more than welcome to correct me :-D

The good part is that they honoured the warranty in spite if its being an ebay purchase

All they did to repair the g-sensor was to flash the new 2.73 ROM - I had gathered from various posts etc that the motherboard might have been f'd. Otherwise I'd just have gone straight to flashing the MoDaCo rom, which is the plan anyway.

but the ROM is locked, as I feared

unlock shop didn't keep the code - I know more about it now and would go the official route - cheaper and HTC would accept this and not relock the phone apparently.

• get FREE PAYG sim from t-mobile
  • using its phone number T-mobile will supply unlock code for £15 or so

As it is I bought the turbo card which was quickest and cheapest and so far it works - i am calling, browsing OK.

I will leave it a few days to see how it all works and then go modaco. Presumably after that the need for codes will be over and I will be able to remove the turbo insert. I think??

• 3 months later...