Reverting HTC Hero to stock from Modaco 2.8

Guest enhat

Guest enhat

Hi all,

The title is pretty self-explanatory. It's a HTC Hero imported from the UK. I don't think it's any carrier-specific phone (it doesn't have any branding other than HTC on it). Some specs from the "about phone" section:

Model Number: HTC Hero

Firmware Version: 1.5

Build Number: MoDaCo Custom ROM 2.8 Core, SSH

Software Version: 1.0.0.A6288

I'm quite a noob but have read here and there stuff about "reflashing" to unroot it and the like, however I'm not entirely sure what that involves (although I probably did something along those lines to root it in the first place!).

Thanks friends!

Guest masterpfa
I'm quite a noob but have read here and there stuff about "reflashing" to unroot it and the like, however I'm not entirely sure what that involves (although I probably did something along those lines to root it in the first place!).

Thanks friends!

I may be corrected if wrong but if you were to install the Generic RUU from HTC this should in effect un-ROOT your phone, can I ask why you want to do this?

I just had to return my phone for warranty repair so had to un-ROOT it, being on T-Mobile I installed the RUU from T-Mobile to return the phone to it's original build (I hope!)

Guest enhat
I may be corrected if wrong but if you were to install the Generic RUU from HTC this should in effect un-ROOT your phone, can I ask why you want to do this?

I just had to return my phone for warranty repair so had to un-ROOT it, being on T-Mobile I installed the RUU from T-Mobile to return the phone to it's original build (I hope!)

Thanks masterpfa, I'll give that a whirl.

The reason I want to unroot is because, being a bit of a noob, I don't really know what I've done with it now haha. Don't get me wrong, the phone's been working fantastically for the past few months that I've had it, and the original reason I rooted it was to use the "wireless tether" app. But I don't use that app anymore, and with 2.8 being quite behind the times now it's given me quite a headache trying to understand and read all the technobabble required for updating to newer, more updated ROMS. So to avoid effort, I think I've decided to just download HTC's easy-to-implement official firmware updates from time to time.

Is there any particular reason I should change from this lazy line of thinking? Like I said, the only root apps I was using was wireless tether and I don't need it anymore, so as far as I can tell there's nothing a rooted device really has for me now?

I'll let you know how the generic RUU goes once it's done downloading.

Guest descenpet

if i were you, i wouldn't go back to generic RUU, unless i have to send for repair. as of now the RUU itself is quite old, as in no new features and such. and it will delete everything on your phone and you have to setup alot of things from scratch. backup and restore capabilities are better on rooted phones. and it would take some time and effort in case you want root again for some reason. i'd recommend trying MCR3.1 if you want more updated.

if you really want to go for RUU, wait for maybe a month till eclair RUU. currrent RUU won't do anything better for you.

Guest enhat
if i were you, i wouldn't go back to generic RUU, unless i have to send for repair. as of now the RUU itself is quite old, as in no new features and such. and it will delete everything on your phone and you have to setup alot of things from scratch. backup and restore capabilities are better on rooted phones. and it would take some time and effort in case you want root again for some reason. i'd recommend trying MCR3.1 if you want more updated.

if you really want to go for RUU, wait for maybe a month till eclair RUU. currrent RUU won't do anything better for you.

Too late! Haha it worked a dream. I was expecting it to wipe everything, so I've made plenty of backups and whatnot.

Is Eclair the update with the new GMaps navigation stuff? Or will that not run on the Hero at all.