3-2-2010 i617 WM6.1 Official Samsung Maintenence ROM Upgrade Released

Guest Sinjon

Guest bluehaz

I'm going to Tomorrow. I've been wanting to do a clean start for awhile. I'll post how things go. It's strange that there is no mention of what changes have been done to it.

Guest bluehaz

Flash went good. Don't see anything new off bat. Might just be me, but it seems tiny tiny tiny bit faster. Will report any issues as\if I encounter them.

Guest xenogod

I also didn't have any problems flashing the phone with the new update.

I wonder what was updated because the phone certainly is a lot more responsive then it was previously

Edited by xenogod

Guest Tarrence7791
Still having problems? What exactly is the issue?

it says i didnt have the correct SW... i flashed my phone THOUSANDS of times before. between 6.5/clean roms/original rom/ but im about to go back to the original rom again and try it.

*EDIT: i got it to install.. i found an old computer with xp on it. you need a key to install it on xp though.

Edited by Tarrence7791

Guest xalias51

I downloaded the file to do the update but cannot seem to get past the ID and KEY screen. What is everyone using for the ID and KEY or any idea where I can find to correct ID and KEY?

Thanks

Edit: Nevermind, I finally found it. They should make those links larger <_<

Edit2: I found that when flashing, at the end when the Time: counter starts going, it seems to hang at that point and the counter just keeps running and running. This happened on both phones I flashed, one a red BJII and the other a black BJII.

I finally had to disconnect the phone from the USB cable and take the battery out to be able to restart the phone. Phones seem to be working fine though, so I guess the flash was successfully completed.

Edited by xalias51

Guest Tarrence7791
I downloaded the file to do the update but cannot seem to get past the ID and KEY screen. What is everyone using for the ID and KEY or any idea where I can find to correct ID and KEY?

Thanks

Edit: Nevermind, I finally found it. They should make those links larger <_<

Edit2: I found that when flashing, at the end when the Time: counter starts going, it seems to hang at that point and the counter just keeps running and running. This happened on both phones I flashed, one a red BJII and the other a black BJII.

I finally had to disconnect the phone from the USB cable and take the battery out to be able to restart the phone. Phones seem to be working fine though, so I guess the flash was successfully completed.

i had the exact same problem; & everything except my gps seems to work.

Guest ZeeJM

I gave this ROM a shot but went back to the 6.5 ROM available from XDA-Developers (see the other threads for more info on the 6.5 ROM).

The main reason I switched back to 6.5 was because the 6.1 update ROM appears to lock down the A-GPS chip such that I couldn't use it with any apps (Garmin; google maps; GPS Test) even after using the MS GPSID applet to set a COM port and configure the intermediate driver.

What I like about the 6.1 update is that the bluetooth stack support for AVRCP works correctly whereas the profile in the 6.5 build appears to be broken.

Guest xalias51

Just had a chance to try out GPS on my newly upgraded BlackJack II and using Google maps I got a lock in less than a minute and it seems to be working fine.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gahbmwm5

Part of the reply that I received back from Samsung Tech Support:

Dear Glenn,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Samsung has released a software upgrade for the SGH-i617 which is recommended to be installed. This update includes an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.1 and numerous software enhancements. The update may take between 10-15 minutes to complete if the system is already set up.

This upgrade contains several enhancements and features. Highlights are listed below.

* Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1w/AKU1.0.1

* Windows Mobile 6.1 includes new features such as:

o New Look & Feel: Using Windows Mobile 6.1, an easy-to-use Sliding Panel homescreen allows you quick access to your Samsung i617 primary functions by simply sliding vertically and horizontally through the homescreen panels.

o System Center Mobile Device Manager (SCMDM): When enabled by your business IT department, SCMDM provides device management enhancements and secure data access to your corporate network.

o Improved GPS Navigation: With AT&T Navigator and assisted-GPS (aGPS), the Samsung i617 leverages both satellite and cellular technology to get you there on time.

o Threaded SMS Messaging: Rather than seeing a stand-alone response when you open an SMS message, you'll view the details of your entire conversation. Now you can easily see how the conversation has progressed.

o Internet Connection Sharing: Utilize your smartphone capabilities by using your phone as a high-speed wireless modem for your laptop. It's easy to set up and even easier to connect. Just click and go!

o Mobile Banking: Perform secure banking transactions with many of the nation's largest banks right from your Samsung i617.

o Voice Command: Voice Command transforms your Samsung i617 into your own virtual personal assistant, letting you use your voice to look up contacts, make phone calls, get calendar information, and play and control your music, as well as start programs.

Now discussing this 6.1 MR_Upgrade with a member @another mobile forum:

Originally Posted by pgens

It says "new" on that page, but the page is showing an update date of October.

I think the only way to know for sure is for someone to jot down their Windows and radio version numbers, then run the update, then see if anything changed.

pgens,

Yes indeed, as I should have 'written down' this info prior to installing/flashing to this '6.1_upgrade'...

This is what I have presently after the 'new' 6.1_upgrade ROM flash:

Settings---->About

Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard

CE OS 5.2.19208

(Build 19208.1.0.1)

Radio Version: i617UCHJ1

RIL Version: 2.002

Also in Settings---->Version

PDA: i617UCHJ1------->these should be the same as 'original 6.1'

Phone: i617UCHJ1------>same as above

H/W version: REV0.3------>this seems like a 'new entry here'.....

If one of our members (who has the original 6.1 ROM) could post up their findings on the above location, then we could compare and see... ;)

Edited by gahbmwm5

Guest gahbmwm5

Originally Posted by pgens

My BJ2 hasn't been booted in months but had enough battery.

Build: 19208.1.0.1

Radio: i617UCHH2

RIL: 2.002

H/W: 0.3

Hmm, looks like radio version is different but that appears to be all. I'll run the update myself and see if the radio version bumps up.

I updated and now have the new radio version, though I had to re-flash HH2 for it to work for whatever reason. So this new version is "HJ1".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent pgens, and thanks for your efforts...

It's too bad that Samsung/ATT did not 'step_up_to_the_plate' and hit a homerun, by putting out a WM6.5 ROM.....for this some what dated device....lol

Edited by gahbmwm5

Guest gahbmwm5
can someone tell me where to find the id and key? cant seem to find it on the samsung site anywhere. thanks.

Click here for the Upgrade Instructions FAQ and XP Downloader

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/fa...mp;AT_ID=132706

# Please close all open programs and disconnect the SGH-i617 from the USB cable.

# On the computer, double-click on the file SGH-i617_WM6_1_Upgrade_For_XP

# The following image shows the program's opening screen.

# For the ID prompt, enter 6704

# For the Key prompt, enter 9649

# Click on the Confirm button.

Click here for the Upgrade Instructions FAQ and Vista Downloader

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/fa...mp;AT_ID=132707

# Please close all open programs and disconnect the SGH-i617 from the USB cable.

# On the computer, double-click on the file BlackJackII_WM6_1_Upgrade_For_Vista

# The following image shows the program's opening screen.

# For the ID prompt, enter 5688

# For the Key prompt, enter 9231

# Click on the Confirm button.

Guest gahbmwm5

It was kind of confusing how Samsung documented this...but

Date: 02-03-2010

File Name: Blackjack_WM6.1MR_Upgrade_For_Vista

95.1MB

Please see the condensed list below for details of some changes found in this HJ1 update for the SGH-i617.

* Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1 (AKU1.0.1)

* Pocket Internet Explorer, 7.11

* Microsoft Voice Command v1.6.19

* Microsoft Office Mobile (including One Note,)

* TeleNav & MobiTV capable

* Modified UI with updated text & icons in several areas

* Enhancements to improve call quality (Qualcomm patches)

* Several enhancements were applied to optimize network communication

* Fixed, Several Bluetooth improvements for BTCK ‘including Peiker, Nokia, Audi, BMW, and others

* Fixed, Several Bluetooth issues relating to BTHS Jabra, Motorola, Samsung, and others

* Fixed, BT audio routing

* Fixed, Audio playback issue /w certain applications

* Fixed, Video Calling problems

* Added, Track Wheel speed values

* Added, Sliding Media Pane

* Added, Phonebook Access Profile (PBAP) for Bluetooth

* Added, Leap year calendar patch for wallpaper

* Added, Integrated BMW iDrive Patch

* Removed, Good Messaging Application

Now this definately has me wondering…..I have just produced/found a 9 pg print out:

Titled: How Do I Obtain The Windows Mobile Update For My SGHi617 (Blackjack II) And What Are The Required Steps To Update It On Windows Vista?

Dated: 10/4/2008

File Name: BlackjackII_WM6.1_Upgrade_For_Vista

Please see the condensed list below for details of some changes found in this HJ1 update for the SGH-i617.

* Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1 (AKU1.0.1)

* Pocket Internet Explorer, 7.11

* Microsoft Voice Command v1.6.19

* Microsoft Office Mobile (including One Note,)

* TeleNav & MobiTV capable

* Modified UI with updated text & icons in several areas

* Enhancements to improve call quality (Qualcomm patches)

* Several enhancements were applied to optimize network communication

* Fixed, Several Bluetooth improvements for BTCK ‘including Peiker, Nokia, Audi, BMW, and others

* Fixed, Several Bluetooth issues relating to BTHS Jabra, Motorola, Samsung, and others

* Fixed, BT audio routing

* Fixed, Audio playback issue /w certain applications

* Fixed, Video Calling problems

* Added, Track Wheel speed values

* Added, Sliding Media Pane

* Added, Phonebook Access Profile (PBAP) for Bluetooth

* Added, Leap year calendar patch for wallpaper

* Added, Integrated BMW iDrive Patch

* Removed, Good Messaging Application

Both the PDA and Phone versions should show i617UCHJ1

LOL....here is the reply that I just received back from Samsung Technical Support regarding 'my concerns' above:

Dear Glenn,

Thank you for your inquiry. There is no real difference between the two to be honest we at Samsung usually update the name of the update as far as drivers are concerned so we have to change the name but if you have any additional questions call Samsung at 1-888-987-4357.

Sincerely,

Technical Support

;)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest YellowLTD

Not just 32 bit... but if you use XP it needs to be SP2. I tried it on an SP3 machine and it did not work. The Samsung Modem driver installed fine, but what was supposed to be shown in Device Manager was not there. After talking with Samsung support, Tier 2 said that only SP2 for XP, and only SP1 for Vista would work with this upgrade. Made a partition and installed XP on my laptop, got all the drivers sorted and the updates installed, and it works.