Control your SPV from PC! *EDIT - New feature*

Guest DJHope

Just got this (neat app) working anlong side the divx A3b player and some stable ecoding...

ON THE PC SCREEN.....

my re-encoded re-sized divx file on me phone...

playing via the remote control prog on the 17" mon @ home..

full colour topitistoo.

kmon :)

Guest HelloDave
*EDIT* just found that you can cut and paste text using this which means smartphone software must support cut and paste natively, just hold down shift whilst editing text arrow along to select then control+c to copy and control+v to paste! - Now if only someone could map this to the smartphone keys we would be laughing

It doesn't necessarily mean smartphone supports cut and paste; it depends how cerdisp works. If it literally copies the display buffer from the SPV to your PC and sends keystrokes back to it then yes, it must support cut and paste, but I suspect it doesn't work this way. I'm no win32 programming guru, so this is a lot of guesswork, but what it probably does is intercepts the API display calls and keyboard messages from the SPV and sends back its own messages, in which case it will know what on the screen is text and what isn't (becuase of the API calls - drawtext() etc). Because of this, you can easily select text, and copy it to your PC's clipboard and then to paste it back cerdisp can just send dummy keyboard messages back to the SPV to make it think you're actually typing the characters - where the keys come from in the message loop doesn't really matter to programs, as long as they're there.

In other words, I don't think SmartPhone 2002 does support copy and paste natively, but theoretically if cerdisp can do it then someone could write a program to intercept keyboard messages from one program and paste them into another. Controlling it wouldn't be easy though!

The thing that kinda makes me think this isnt the case is because its a remote desktop control, i rekon that method would be far too slow and its actually very fast.

Also theirs nothing that makes me think microsoft wouldnt put native cut and paste support in. Think about how difficult itd be to control cut and paste with so few keys.

Its all based on WinCE 3.0 and other WinCE 3.0 devices definately support cut and paste, remember this program isnt even suposed to run on smartphone!

DJ Hope

Guest HelloDave

Reading just API calls from the OS would be quicker than copying the whole screen buffer, bearing in mind it's over a serial link. Good point about win CE 3.0 and cut and paste though, in which case why can't M$ just tell us it's there, instead of lying about it ("smartphone 2002 doesn't support cut and paste..." etc)! I'm still not sure whether the support is there or not myself though! :)

You need to run remote desktop control in conjunction with some of the EVC++ debugging tools, i think theirs one that captures api calls, i havnt tinkered that much yet, this would confirm what is going on!

DJ Hope

Guest GameAngel

This will not install on my SPV. Ive unlocked the phone and tested it with DoomSPV etc...

I run the install prog from the PC and my phone opens the cab, but just returns to the home screen instead of asking me where to install the software

Please help.

• 3 months later...
Guest Tempest
it goes in stroage card/windows/start menu and ipsm/windows/start menu (depending were you decided to install it)

Its not big enough for the smartphone screen so you have to press the action key when you first load then you can see the connect button, click that then click ok on the next screen, then you should be able to connect, alterinatively run it with -c parameter and itll connect automatically.

DJ Hope

Hi DJ Hope,

Was wondering if you could explain a little bit more about the -c parameter? i use remote display on a smartphone and everytime i connect i have to turn on the display on my desktop and turn go programs-->cerdisp-->connect-->ppp-peer-->ok.

i've been trying to look of the -c paramater and i can't seem to find it or understand where to enter it. am i doing something wrong?

would appreciate your advise on this.

thanks

Guest MoRFLeZ
This will not install on my SPV. Ive unlocked the phone and tested it with DoomSPV etc...

I run the install prog from the PC and my phone opens the cab, but just returns to the http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>home screen instead of asking me where to install the software

Please help.

Trying going here IPSM // Windows // AppMgr // Install - and see if the installer file is lying there! Then just run it, or delete it and try and install it again!

Guest Gorskar
In other words, I don't think SmartPhone 2002 does support copy and paste natively, but theoretically if cerdisp can do it then someone could write a program to intercept keyboard messages from one program and paste them into another. Controlling it wouldn't be easy though!

Actually I think the smartphone might well support cut and paste, as you can do it with the roll up keyboard. (press shift then left or right to select text, ctrl+x = cut, ctrl+c = copy ctrl+v = paste, exactly the same as on a desktop PC)

Guest madu

PS: I thought this was a known feature (and am sure mentioned this before in one of the posts).. Good to point this out though..

Guest rack1

Anybody know how to delete characters from the the host box on the SPV?

I have entered some incorrect characters when trying to connect from the SPV and I can't figure out how to delete them!!!

Thanks

:shock:

Guest Tempest

hi!

could someone please enlighten me as to how to use the "-c" alternative? as i understand it, this command allows you to simply plug your spv and run cerdisp automatically without having to activate the host in your pc. i use my spv in the office and i leave my desk alot so it would really be helpful if i didn't keep having to turn cerdisp on and off everytime i leave my desk.

please help. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bitbank

I have modified Virtual CE (www.bitbanksoftware.com) to support the SmartPhone. I have not released it yet, but I would like to get feature requests before I finalize it. I have a working "skin" for the phone which allows all of the buttons to be pressed with the mouse and the mouse can also activate the soft menu keys. The refresh rate is quite good over USB and you can save the session to a text file or AVI file.

Please let me know your comments.

http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/vce_sp.jpg

Larry B.

Guest siu99spj

Looking great! ANy idea on a possible release date?

As for features, its kinda hard to say (Being that we don't know what it already does) but screen shots would be nice (Just the SPV screen though), as well as the ability to select/copy text from the SPV screen.

Oh, and I'd really like the ability to have a program that ran without modifying the (Host PC's) registry or using ActiveSync, thereby allowing me to d'l stuff onto my phone from work. Just a dream I have...

Guest bitbank

The copy/paste functionality is already there. You can see the existing feature set on my website (http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/VirtualCE.html). Selecting text from the SPV side sounds tricky; not sure how one would do that with the mouse.

As far as connections... you can use ActiveSync or a direct connection (no activesync) over LAN, Serial, or IrDA. USB direct would be an option if Microsoft would document their USB driver. So far they have refused.

L.B.

Guest looeee

Tempest

to use the -c option, you make a shortcut to cerdisp

open the cerdisp.exe.lnk file in a text editor (notepad on your PC or notbad on SP)

add the -c

looeee

Guest fraser

bitbank, for your package, I'd love to see some sort of automatic connection when you dock the phone. You'd need to do the following:

- Have the PC Application run in the background and open when the phone connects to it. Put it in the systray or something when it's not in use

- Have the phone application automatically try to connect when it detects an Active Sync connection.

The first is easy, the second is a maybe.

Guest Thurstan
Tempest

to use the -c option, you make a shortcut to cerdisp

open the cerdisp.exe.lnk file in a text editor (notepad on your PC or notbad on SP)  

add the -c

looeee

Where? How? When I open the shortcut in notepad I get this:

47#"Storage CardProgram FilesProgscerdisp.exe"