What's all the fuss with swype? Shapewriter works brilliantly :)

Guest kylenk

Guest chingy1788

i didnt like shape writer because the keyboard took up alot of screen space (1/2 or more)

while the standard keyboard and swype takes up less than 1/2 the screen

Guest Mythrix

SlideIT seems to work pretty well and does not take up more screen space than the normal keyboard. It doesn't *look* so good though, I think it's made for lower resolution screens, because the graphics seems kind of blurred on my Liquid. But functionality is good and it actually has a Norwegian dictionary (plus a lot of other languages)!

Haven't tried Shapewriter (or Swype) yet, but from what I understand none of these have a Norwegian dictionary, in which case they're pretty useless to me.

Guest kylenk

hmmm ill give that a shot now. I've just tested the new swype beta out and find that shapewriter is easier to use, yet it occupying that amount of space is frustrating now that u mention it. So far the htc_ime keyboard is my favourite. Although it seems upscaled from hvga devices which makes it look pretty ugly. Can't knock productivity though. I'll give slideit a go now <_<

Guest Uxian

I've not tried SlideIT but Shapewriter for me is too picky about accuracy, particularly on the Liquid's non-too-stellar touch screen. Swype is a lot better at figuring out what I meant to write instead of what I actually did write.

Guest kylenk

That's odd. I didn't have any of those issues with shapewriter. Im typing this post with swype, cant decidE which one to use as my main keyboard lol.im amazed at how accurate these are though considering the input method. Although I am slowed down a heap when a word isn't in the dictionary.

Guest Mythrix
I've not tried SlideIT but Shapewriter for me is too picky about accuracy, particularly on the Liquid's non-too-stellar touch screen. Swype is a lot better at figuring out what I meant to write instead of what I actually did write.

SlideIT also tries to guess what you actually tried to write. Even if you start from the wrong first letter, it is often still able pick out the right word. Not sure how it compares to Swype, but it does sound like it's better than Shapewriter then at least.

Guest PiterLabi
SlideIT also tries to guess what you actually tried to write. Even if you start from the wrong first letter, it is often still able pick out the right word. Not sure how it compares to Swype, but it does sound like it's better than Shapewriter then at least.

I have been testing ShapeWriter and generally like it, but I prefer Slideit. The tap mode is more flexible and I like the graffiti portion. The intuitive is easier to modify and affect.

I tried Swype, but it seemed slower and not as responsive as SlideIT. And there is one major factor that I have noticed with both Swype and SlideIT It's the memory usage.

Swype 9.19 MB SlideIT 1.85 MB

Guest Uxian
I tried Swype, but it seemed slower and not as responsive as SlideIT. And there is one major factor that I have noticed with both Swype and SlideIT It's the memory usage.

Swype 9.19 MB SlideIT 1.85 MB

Very true. I've also noticed that the official beta of Swype while more functional than the leaked version (e.g. capitalisation is now working) is much slower and less responsive. Did I say leaked version? I mean version that I imagined and was never linked or hosted anywhere ever.

Edited by Uxian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kylenk

tried slideit, wasn't really a fan. I'm using swype now, got in on the beta. Found it takes up the least space of all of them. I think you can still get the beta apk from xda somewhere iirc.