Is Cyanogenmod 4.x (1.6) easily portable to liquid

Guest pete.major

Guest pete.major

Hi guys,

I had a question regarding cyanogenmod. is it possible to compile cm 4.x, based on 1.6 AOSP, and just use the existing 1.6 acer kernel?

The reason why I'm asking is that is has modifications to allow playing FLAC in any music player and I really want this feature...

Thanks for any advice.

Pete

Guest Nova2.1
Hi guys,

I had a question regarding cyanogenmod. is it possible to compile cm 4.x, based on 1.6 AOSP, and just use the existing 1.6 acer kernel?

The reason why I'm asking is that is has modifications to allow playing FLAC in any music player and I really want this feature...

Thanks for any advice.

Pete

why not wait a month, with a new acer rom and kernel source out there would be a greater incetive to do this as a project..

its not easily portable, but it is portable.. disc0 here seems to be the resident expert on the liquid kernal

so this would be a question that he could answer more correctly / in more detail

Guest goa200

you wont hear any diff on a normal mp3 and say flac on liquid. Liquid is just to bad to hear any diff on.

But if you want flac then use the one in evil's 2.1 rom.

Guest pete.major

Thanks for your replies.

you wont hear any diff on a normal mp3 and say flac on liquid. Liquid is just to bad to hear any diff on.

But if you want flac then use the one in evil's 2.1 rom.

It's not really a matter of wanting the quality flac on my mobile... all of my ripped music is in flac (and some in alac) and i'm sure as heck not gonna convert it all and store it twice.

why dont you install ANDLESS?

I tried Andless before xmas... I see now it can play mp3 too, but it couldn't then. I have playlists which are a mixture of lossless and lossy. and the interface is... err... not particularly pleasing to the eye.

I just want to play flac in normal android player/nemoplayer and cyanogenmod can do that, as per this post:

http://the-b.org/FLAC_on_Android

why not wait a month, with a new acer rom and kernel source out there would be a greater incetive to do this as a project..

I don't really mind about 2.1... besides it'll be forever for kernel source to come out for that, if ever. how long have we had kernel source for 1.6 and people can't even compile it as released? why do you think it'll be any different for 2.1?

On the other hand, cyanogenmod has been out forever and has loads of kick as fixes in it.

Could cyanogenmod work with the acer kernel, or is cm specific to the magic?

Thanks,

pete

Edited by pete.major

Guest goa200
Thanks for your replies.

It's not really a matter of wanting the quality flac on my mobile... all of my ripped music is in flac (and some in alac) and i'm sure as heck not gonna convert it all and store it twice.

I tried Andless before xmas... I see now it can play mp3 too, but it couldn't then. I have playlists which are a mixture of lossless and lossy. and the interface is... err... not particularly pleasing to the eye.

I just want to play flac in normal android player/nemoplayer and cyanogenmod can do that, as per this post:

http://the-b.org/FLAC_on_Android

I don't really mind about 2.1... besides it'll be forever for kernel source to come out for that, if ever. how long have we had kernel source for 1.6 and people can't even compile it as released? why do you think it'll be any different for 2.1?

On the other hand, cyanogenmod has been out forever and has loads of kick as fixes in it.

Thanks,

pete

ohh i get your point then. but as i said evils 2.1 rom had a flacplayer in it. so try that maybe?

Guest eViL D:
ohh i get your point then. but as i said evils 2.1 rom had a flacplayer in it. so try that maybe?

Actually, I spent a little time (alot actually) looking into getting native support for flac. I was at alldroid and saw this http://alldroid.org/threads/15307-FLAC-sup...ore)-scroll-fix, I tried to do some modification, but it seems that the smali files only work for 2.0.1. So, I thought maybe if I disassembled cyanogen's framework from his Nexus AOSP build, I could extract and import the needed files, but alas I could not boot.

Edited by eViL D:

Guest linuxluver

Cyanogen started on the first Android phone, the HTC Dream / G1 "32B". That phone is a very close family member of the HTC Magic "32B" (also a "32B" phone but with more RAM and ROM) and to slightly a lesser extent the 32A....which is actually closer to the HTC Hero than the Magic 32B (same processor as Hero and same RAM/ROM config).

Cyanogen recently bought a Nexus One and has been releasing beta ROMs for that phone, as well as maintianing the G1/Magic 32B phones (he says -> because his mother and GF own them).

But Cyanogen has also been helpful with people porting to other phones.....but only up to a point. You must know what you're doing or he can't help you. If anything, he seems to be very efficient with his time and therefore not inclined to waste it on people not up to the job.

I don't know the guy personally, but I've been reading his tweets for months and generally picking up the way he thinks (to some degree....NOT in detail!!) and watching how he operates.

This is my opinion, FWIW.

Edited by linuxluver