beginner needs some advice :)

Guest attilax2000

Guest attilax2000

Just bought a second hand acer liquid ! I am very happy with It ! This is my first android phone and I am completely new to flashing rom's etc... After searching true the forums and reading a lot I am still a little bit lost.

Some things I think I understand:

If I understand correctly by flashing a Recovery image, you get some customized recovery console if you start the phone in recovery mode ?

With flashing a Rom you can change the OS of the phone, either by using an official or customized rom ? .bin files are the roms ?

Rooting gives you access to the whole system, necessary for some apps?

With Nandroid you can make a full backup (contacts etc …) of the system ?

Have no idea  :

What’s the purpose of the boot images ?

What’s adb ? What’s a stock kernel or a custom one?

I see all kinds of commands to put in some console ? wich console ?

Ok that’s where I am at the moment  So I found out that the previous owner did some “stuff” with the phone. It has been rooted I see a Superuser Permission app, and if I look at the about I get : Firmware 1.6, Kernel-versie 2.6.29-disco-b01, build-number acer_liquid_2.000.16_EMEA_GEN1. I also once got in a lickon recovery mode.

So for starters I would like a “Belgian keybord” (azerty ) I found that there is an official file from acer especially for Belgium (OS_ACER_2.000.16.EMEA.CUS2_A16D_Liquid) I suppose this is completely localized.This is an official rom?

But I am also reading a lot about an rom based on an official 2.1 android release.(angio) Will this also be available in dutch etc … What to you guys think I should do. Install the cus2 rom or wait a little and try the angio rom ? Ok a lot of rambling <_<

Edited by attilax2000

Guest Borkata

You have many questions, but I will try to answer them one by one <_<

1) If I understand correctly by flashing a Recovery image, you get some customized recovery console if you start the phone in recovery mode ? => you are correct about this, but first of all the recovery should be customized :mellow:, i.e. modified like the one lickonn or malez produced for acer.

2) With flashing a Rom you can change the OS of the phone, either by using an official or customized rom ? .bin files are the roms ? => In general flashing a rom is changing something or everything on your phone, i.e. kernel, baseband (radio), recovery, system; or all of these stuff. Bin roms (or the latest are .CAB I think) which are flashed using Acer Tool are full roms, which include everything and if you have downloaded this bin from official site and flash it you are flashing Stock ROM :(.

About custom roms, they are generally modified system and/or bootimg.

Here is some info about different terms:

- kernel - this is the linux core of the OS

- ramdisk - this is basic structure of linux OS

- bootimg - this is image which contain compressed kernel + ramdisk

- baseband (radio) - this is the place in memory where instructions for your phone are stored to communicate

- system - this is actually the Android OS, which is the graphic user interface on top of the linux

3) Rooting gives you access to the whole system, necessary for some apps? => Rooting gives power to access the whole system and make changes. If a phone is rooted a developer can make changes to android OS -> system partition.

4) With Nandroid you can make a full backup (contacts etc …) of the system ? => you can make backup of system partition (the Android OS gui) and data partition (place where you have installed applications and contacts).

5) What’s the purpose of the boot images ? => boot images are as I wrote above combination of basic linux os structure and linux kernel. These are used to load all hardware components

6) What’s adb ? What’s a stock kernel or a custom one? => adb is a tool used in console of your PC (command prompt in Windows, terminal in Linux). Using it you can execute different actions with your phone and also gain access to underlying linux shell (search google for adb how-to and type adb --help when you install it). Stock kernel is a kernel which comes with a Stock rom (bin file from Acer Site). Custom one is such compiled after modifications (disc0 has made such kernel).

7) I see all kinds of commands to put in some console ? wich console ? => "adb shell" is one option to get access to linux console of the phone. The other is to get from market Terminal Emulator.

8) About the keyboard I am sure that the localized version will have your layout, but you can also try some alternatives from Android Market.

Edited by Borkata