Paul's up to something...

Guest munkimatt

Guest munkimatt
yeah but its a credit crunch, some of us are on benefits. That tenner could buy my family Tesco value fish fingers and chips for a week.

Without this descending into a socio-political discussion I would question the logic of dropping a tenner on something as unnecessary as a ROM when it could/should be being spent on food for a family under tight financial constraints, however I do understand that it's each to their own.

In other news, I really want fish fingers now...

Edited by munkimatt

Guest Vido.Ardes

To be honest, It can't give us that much more than the Eris port has... I'd wait till we get a proper kernel for the Hero before doing anything else

Guest Remington Steale
Without this descending into a socio-political discussion I would question the logic of dropping a tenner on something as unnecessary as a ROM when it could/should be being spent on food for a family under tight financial constraints, however I do understand that it's each to their own.

I think Higgsy may have been using a tinge of sarcasm

Guest munkimatt
I think Higgsy may have been using a tinge of sarcasm

Oh no, I gathered, I was just trying to continue it! I'm northern mate, words like "socio-political" are not commonplace for me <_<

Guest Remington Steale
Oh no, I gathered, I was just trying to continue it! I'm northern mate, words like "socio-political" are not commonplace for me <_<

Heh, we sent one our engineers from Manchester across to Spain a couple of months ago, we had to find out what was Spanish for pie first.

Turns out its Empanada.

Edited by Remington Steale

Guest munkimatt
Heh, we sent one our engineers from Manchester across to Spain a couple of months ago, we had to find out what was Spanish for pie first.

Turns out its Empanada.

Noted for future reference.

Guest masterpfa

As I'm still waiting for my G2 Touch, (T-Mobile Hero), to come back from the repairs, I have been able to step back from the ROM stage and observe without getting itching fingers everyone appears to be getting. A legend ROM ported to Hero, or Eris Ported to Hero are probably all due to have an issues or two.

IMHO with the "Official" release of 2.1 with Sense ROM imminent, I think it may not be too long before a MCR is available, especially if Paul gets a pre-release version a few week before hand.

I was happy with the CyanogenMOD for Hero, which gave me the 2.1 experience, albeit without sense, (which I stopped using since using AychTeeSee's Vanilla Roms)

So for now, as an outsider making do with a Pulse, I watch the developments in peace and comfort, without feeling the near daily urgency to Flash a ROM <_<

You've just mentioned the main thing that angers me on this forum...it's a tenner guys, relax.

What?!? It costs a whole tenner?! <_<

I'm on MCR 3.1 atm & was holding out for a release based on the coming 2.1, but if Paul puts up anything new soon, I'll be getting my wallet out.

[Edit:] Oh, I'll just wait then... <twitch>

Edited by zorm

Guest shokka9
I have been able to step back from the ROM stage and observe without getting itching fingers everyone appears to be getting.

A legend ROM ported to Hero, or Eris Ported to Hero are probably all due to have an issues or two.

IMHO with the "Official" release of 2.1 with Sense ROM imminent, I think it may not be too long before a MCR is available, especially if Paul gets a pre-release version a few week before hand.

I watch the developments in peace and comfort, without feeling the near daily urgency to Flash a ROM :mellow:

Totally agree with u bro <_<

I flashed Raids cleanish 2.1, just to see for myself (that was my first trial of 2.1 EVER); i the next day went back to my own version of a 3.2b5 ROM.

The 2.1's are fast, some new features, but ultimately various issues (mainly battery life) which kept me from using them.

I will wait for the official 2.1's to come out (more importantly, the kernel sources).

But i found it very amusing to see so much hype, activity and action due to the release of these 'leaked' rebuilds.

It was crazy!!

Turns out its Empanada.

I'll have to tell my wife. Her Spanish atm extends as far as being able to ask for ten beers, along with a handful of obscene phrases. I never did ask why ten <_<

Guest Remington Steale
I'll have to tell my wife. Her Spanish atm extends as far as being able to ask for ten beers, along with a handful of obscene phrases. I never did ask why ten <_<

Probably relates to the obscene phrases sport....

Guest venturerider

None of the 2.1 ROMs are satisfactory (for me) and I believe that will be the case until the official HTC Hero release comes out.

In the meantime, I'm using an AOSP 2.1 ROM that has no bluetooth audio during phone calls and I can live with that for now.

Edited by venturerider

Guest kendon
Totally agree with u bro <_<

I flashed Raids cleanish 2.1, just to see for myself (that was my first trial of 2.1 EVER); i the next day went back to my own version of a 3.2b5 ROM.

The 2.1's are fast, some new features, but ultimately various issues (mainly battery life) which kept me from using them.

I will wait for the official 2.1's to come out (more importantly, the kernel sources).

But i found it very amusing to see so much hype, activity and action due to the release of these 'leaked' rebuilds.

It was crazy!!

lol same here. i went on a skitrip on sunday, so i set up villain with all the fixes on my phone. first bummer: copilot not working. google maps with navigation worked, but it is online navigation and i am roaming here... also music folder player doesn't work, which is annoying but no showstopper.

so we were driving down the highway, when my phone vibrated shortly. i was wondering why, pulled it out of my pocket to see it booting up...

tried to install trailmaps, which works and downloads the maps, but doesn't display them. gps bug still existed, also annyoing. but worst was: my battery was down to 40% after a few hours, and i hadn't used the phone much. first thing when we arrived in austria was flashing mcr3.1, i am recording all my runs with sportstracklive, for that i need a phone that is reliable and works, and makes it through the day with gps enabled.

nevertheless testing the leaked rom made me very happy, once it is official and works it (the hero) will be a very niece piece of mobile equipment :mellow:

Guest Arthur Hucksake

I've had enough with the Eris ports tbh, im happy to wait. The battery drain is a joke. 3.2b5 is the best thing i've come across so far, my impulsive flashing *cough* has stopped.

Guest Ibanez33
I've had enough with the Eris ports tbh, im happy to wait. The battery drain is a joke. 3.2b5 is the best thing i've come across so far, my impulsive flashing *cough* has stopped.

Couldn't agree more I've spent a week on behero 2.1 and the speed within the rom was just normal really. The thing I will miss when I flash back to MCR3.2b5 is the speed of the browser that was soo much faster.

But as you said the battery drain is appalling, I used to be able to go 2-3 days without a charge and now my phone dead by the end of the day even if I've hardly used it..

Guest venturerider

One thing I did notice with the Villain2.1 ROM is the speed of the WiFi connection. I saw something like a 30% increase in transfer rates. Not a good enough reason to stay on that ROM all things considered, but definitely a good sign of things to come.

Guest Arthur Hucksake
One thing I did notice with the Villain2.1 ROM is the speed of the WiFi connection. I saw something like a 30% increase in transfer rates. Not a good enough reason to stay on that ROM all things considered, but definitely a good sign of things to come.

Using the Defiance 2.1 rom I actually got a speed decrease. lol

Wish HTC would just hurry up with the real 2.1 already, to see what modders actually have to play with.

Guest FunkTrooper

The battery drain issue has been largely fixed now; all the current version of the Eris ROMs include fixes. It was caused by some service in the background called DMAgent that would keep the CPU at a high frequency because it was always doing something and posting weird error messages to the log every five seconds.

Since this fix, I see no reason *not* to use the Eris 2.1 ROMs. Even MMS works now. The *one* thing that doesn't work is disabling SIM contacts. But... big deal.

Guest kendon
The battery drain issue has been largely fixed now; all the current version of the Eris ROMs include fixes. It was caused by some service in the background called DMAgent that would keep the CPU at a high frequency because it was always doing something and posting weird error messages to the log every five seconds.

Since this fix, I see no reason *not* to use the Eris 2.1 ROMs. Even MMS works now. The *one* thing that doesn't work is disabling SIM contacts. But... big deal.

yeah well, i don't think it is the only reason for the battery drain. there is also the gps issue, which can be solved by flashing the IU radio, at least it seems like that. but it is still no final release, and we do not really know what the kernel does and what not... and then it would be only a plain rom, apps still cause trouble.

Guest shingers5

well ERIS ports do suck IMO and its down to dump. bad dump all round. too many bugs and new probs in every release. battery life has improved and Villain 3.3 looks very good. Defiance 2.1 has been doing well but like building a house, if you have a duff foundation it dont matter how hard you work to make a beautiful home the foundation will be your undoing! hopefully this legend dump will be better suited to the hero so should be good. thats definitely a hero in that pic and Paul did tweet ages ago he had it working but didnt see point with official hero update coming soon, some speculate in a weeks time. i am getting a Legend when its released and also looking at Desire due out on tmobile later this month. Nexus one which i bought from the US is ok but even on that battery life is crap! anyway lets see what Paul does eh! LOL

Guest Remington Steale

I've tried BeHero, Villain and defiance and while they are nice to play with, I have restored my nandroid backup of Modaco 3.2b5.

I'm going to wait for an official release to be played with by the Rom Wizards, too many little issues for me with the Eris leaks (Battery, Alarms, lag).

Interestingly though, now that I have had 2.1 on it, the market has started to notify me of updates in the notification bar at the top, which it has never done before.

Edited by Remington Steale

Guest Vido.Ardes

Even with the Legend leak, we will still be using an old kernel so the battery issues will still be present... I will try it when it comes out, but I will probably go back until an official release appears