Sony Ericsson X10 or Google Nexus One?

Guest Morfex

Guest Morfex

My provider will have the X10 soon and will probably offer the Nexus, too.

As the topic says... in your opinion: which one would you prefer and why?

Besides that, maybe someone could help me find answers to these following questions:

1. Is the OLED screen of the Nexus really better than the "old" LCD screen of the X10?

2. Which one has the better responsiveness? (I hate my Omnia touch screen :-/)

3. What about the Multitouch problems of the Nexus - have they been solved yet?

4. Do the different RAM make much of a difference in terms of performance?

5. Will the UI of the X10 be customizable?

Thanks in advance,

Max

• 2 weeks later...
Guest josifbg
My provider will have the X10 soon and will probably offer the Nexus, too.

As the topic says... in your opinion: which one would you prefer and why?

Besides that, maybe someone could help me find answers to these following questions:

1. Is the OLED screen of the Nexus really better than the "old" LCD screen of the X10?

It`s hard to say.

The OLED is more brighter that the standard LCD and someone says is less power consumable.

2. Which one has the better responsiveness? (I hate my Omnia touch screen :-/)

As per my test the X10 has more responsiveness than the N1. I don`t meant to insult anyone using N1!

3. What about the Multitouch problems of the Nexus - have they been solved yet?

I am not aware of any multi touch problems with N1.

4. Do the different RAM make much of a difference in terms of performance?

I dont think so ... there is plenty of comparison video test between N1 and x10 bearing in mind that the X10 is running test soft and even then the x10 is faster.

check this out ->

5. Will the UI of the X10 be customizable?

You can customize the whole OS whatever you like.

You can use the SE UI or not use it at all. It`s up to you.

You can use only the Mediascape with the default home screen or you can use the SE UI Timescape and Mediascape in the same time.

Guest pjhoughton1976

Yesterday I sent an email to Sony Ericsson asking them to confirm specs features of their X10 handset. This is what I received.

Dear ******,

Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson support centre.

I have complied some answers to the questions that you have raised, please see below:

#1 Does the device itself support multi touch? I am aware that the the

current OS Android 1.6 does not.

The handset has a capacitive screen that is capable of multi touch for features such as pinch zooming. This feature will be implemented by the upgrade to 2.1

#2 Does the device have an internal digital compass which would show

direction in google maps?

The X10 does have a magnetometer that acts as a digital compass.

#3 Will android 2.1+ be coming to the Xperia x10 in 2010?

The handset has been confirmed to be upgraded to 2.1, however there are no time scales for this, developement is currently working on implementing the Timescape/Mediascape to 2.1.

Should you have any further questions do not hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,

Paul Conlan

Sony Ericsson Technical Support

You can now follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube using the following links:

www.youtube.com/sonyericssonhandsets

www.facebook.com/sonyericssonuk

www.twitter.com/sonyericsson

Contact Us | Legal | Your Privacy

©Copyright 2001-2008. Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications. All rights reserved.

The X10 is definately going to be my next upgrade now.

Guest FurryPotato

It's good to have the upgrade to 2.1 confirmed.

My wife's contract is up and she will be getting an X10.

It was going to be either the Desire or the X10 and as soon as she saw video of the X10 she wanted it.

The Camera was one of her main reasons, as well as the look of the device.

And as I work for a Virgin company, I should be able to get half price line rental contract for her when Virgin Mobile release the phone in April ;)

My poor little HTC Hero is going to look so puny in comparison :)

Guest Morfex

Thanks for your informative answers!

I think I'll skip both and go for the HTC Desire... the Google Nexus One won't be available for me and this one being my preferred one, I'll go with the next best (or better) thing which will be the Desire.

Guest FurryPotato
Thanks for your informative answers!

I think I'll skip both and go for the HTC Desire... the Google Nexus One won't be available for me and this one being my preferred one, I'll go with the next best (or better) thing which will be the Desire.

Just don't expect much from the camera. It's pretty much the same one as I've had since the HTC HD, and now Hero. Not very impressive if you are not in good light.

Having been using HTC for 3 years now, they seriously need to start improving the camera they ship phones with.

Guest Need_A_Username
Just don't expect much from the camera. It's pretty much the same one as I've had since the HTC HD, and now Hero. Not very impressive if you are not in good light.

Having been using HTC for 3 years now, they seriously need to start improving the camera they ship phones with.

They acutally just did ;-) Their newest phone, the HTC EVO, will have an 8 mp camera on the back, and a 1.3 camera on the front.

As for the light issue, it is true with the Hero, but the Desire has a flash, so I guess it won't be so much of an issue as it was :-)

Guest squirreleater

Not so, I had a touch HD followed by a hero, my Nexus one has a much better camera, a flash helps for a start!

My old SE K850i had a superb camera- once SE finally updated the firmware to actually make it work properly- sometimes the specifications don't tell the whole story.

Guest Nitro Fan
Your desire will be out of date in 5 months... its the HTC way

Unlike the X10 which is already out of date! Android 1.6 I ask you! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ftg888
Unlike the X10 which is already out of date! Android 1.6 I ask you! :huh:

GET THE NEXUS 1 or HTC DESIRE... x10 is nice but wont get updated any time soon,

and im sorry 1.6 does not cut it now a days.

Guest ZenithUK

The X10 is a nice phone with good hardware. The problem is Sony taking their time with the 2.1 update. By the time it comes out, 2.2 Froyo will be widely available. So you might always be 1 version behind the "current" one.

That said, if Paul roots the X10 soon then that opens the door to custom ROMs and maybe people will be able to upgrade without being held back by Sony.

Guest squirreleater
The X10 is a nice phone with good hardware. The problem is Sony taking their time with the 2.1 update. By the time it comes out, 2.2 Froyo will be widely available. So you might always be 1 version behind the "current" one.

That said, if Paul roots the X10 soon then that opens the door to custom ROMs and maybe people will be able to upgrade without being held back by Sony.

I think the 'Paul' route is by far the best chance the X10 has of keeping up to date! SE will give it 2.1 eventually and that'll be it.

Guest Mr.r9

Root almost has nothing to do when going from 1.6 to 2.1. It's all about having the code of the kernel+drivers.

Guest squirreleater
Root almost has nothing to do when going from 1.6 to 2.1. It's all about having the code of the kernel+drivers.

Indeed. I understood it that the manufacturers had to release the Kernel as part of the open agreement?

They just take their time sometimes!