Can the Nexus One be bricked?

Guest cybrian

Guest cybrian

So, I'm under the impression that the Nexus One's bootloader is stored in ROM, and thus cannot be overwritten, which means that no matter how malicious some software may be (or no matter how stupid someone can be while hacking), it cannot be bricked (as in the absolute WORST case, one can upload Amon_RA's recovery image, pop a stock ROM on the SD, and flash it).

My question is this: am I right? Is the bootloader read only?

Guest cybrian
It's pretty hard to brick...

P

Seems like it. So, I gather, then, that the only known way to brick it is by flashing a bad radio update via fastboot?

Guest Tuborgmann
I cant answer much on bootloader. But yes you can brick the nexus one.

Someone managed to brick it flashing radio.

Wasnt it more like someone managed to brick it pulling the battery WHILE flashing radio? <_<

Guest commodoor
Wasnt it more like someone managed to brick it pulling the battery WHILE flashing radio? <_<

Who the f*** does that :s < if you da that everyphone will brick :mellow:

Guest b0unce

That thread gave me a good laugh at work :mellow: The guy managed to con HTC into sending him another one after getting advice on how to lie from some posters lol.. Not deserving of a second chance, but funny nonetheless.

"It said complete, and the phone took too long so I pulled the battery" always cracks me up :(

Guest Mantisen
That thread gave me a good laugh at work <_< The guy managed to con HTC into sending him another one after getting advice on how to lie from some posters lol.. Not deserving of a second chance, but funny nonetheless.

"It said complete, and the phone took too long so I pulled the battery" always cracks me up :mellow:

Schadenfreude for the win! :(

Guest AndrewTan

So?!

I am the F*** done that. <_<

FLASHING RADIO IS RISKY IN NEXUS ONE.

I found another person brick it as well, he post at XDA, this guy didn't pull out the battery what so ever, he just accidently flash the (believe) bad radio. (or maybe the guy just not sincerely enough telling the true what has been done)

Just bear in mine, becareful as Nexus One is too fragile in radio part.

Edited by AndrewTan

Guest lyrikal757
So?!

I found another person brick it as well, he post at XDA, this guy didn't pull out the battery what so ever, he just accidently flash the (believe) bad radio. (or maybe the guy just not sincerely enough telling the true what has been done)

I have a question: When would you ever need to flash radio? is it necessary to run some custom ROM's?

Id just avoid flashing radio all together to avoid even the possibility of bricking it.

Guest commodoor
So?!

Haha no, after reading the post of b0unce was a little more clear :mellow: .

I bet yha that you are running stock rom :D anyways you are right flashing radio is risky and you must always be carefull with it dont go and start flashing everything you see. i only flash stuff from Paul or Steve. those are the people i trust :(

Guest b0unce
I have a question: When would you ever need to flash radio? is it necessary to run some custom ROM's?

Id just avoid flashing radio all together to avoid even the possibility of bricking it.

Well flashing the radio usually gives you the latest reception fixes/tweaks. This is because as devices get released they might not always ship with the optimum firmware for the radio (or it is the optimum firmware at the time). As manufacturers get real world data and feedback from users they will continue to refine the radio and RIL libraries in the roms (as HTC has done already). Usually the RIL libraries are matched to a specific radio firmware. So if you are running a different radio it might not work as well. That's what I've been lead to believe anyway, but feel free to correct me if I'm incorrect <_<

Guest b0unce
Haha no, after reading the post of b0unce was a little more clear <_< .

I bet yha that you are running stock rom :( anyways you are right flashing radio is risky and you must always be carefull with it dont go and start flashing everything you see. i only flash stuff from Paul or Steve. those are the people i trust :mellow:

I wouldn't go flashing a radio a day, but if you take the necessary precautions (make sure phone is fully charged, battery secure, back cover on the phone, and the USB cable plugged in is what I check), it should be relatively uneventful.

When people get hasty they make mistakes, so take your time, and make sure you've read up A LOT on the topic before you do anything (I'm not just talking about the radio here).

Guest RichardGr

That's exactly the problem there is too much post that describe the flashing or modding procedure. Personally i don't try nothing on Nexus one because I don't know which thread to follow. So please if you know have "official thread tutorial to upgrade" from trusted person with trusted link for download then please post here

thanks

Guest commodoor
That's exactly the problem there is too much post that describe the flashing or modding procedure. Personally i don't try nothing on Nexus one because I don't know which thread to follow. So please if you know have "official thread tutorial to upgrade" from trusted person with trusted link for download then please post here

thanks

maybe you are right. but i followed this tut and worked for me http://androidandme.com/2010/01/hacks/vide...ot-a-nexus-one/

and look here for Custom roms. don't get to hazy flashing radio if you don't have problems with signal strength dropouts don't flash radio. if you want to flash a radio you can always ask here.

Guest b0unce

thanks

I'll say here now, that I flashed my n1 on the very first day, but I read for 4 weeks before I even received my phone. It's all research, research and more research, not trial and error. As I said, there are a few good threads that have been posted here and on XDA. You can even use the Modaco thread (stickied thread) of all the ROM's to get a sort of historical picture of what has been released as the thread goes in chronological order.

Guest fabiocampos

What´s risk of flash Modaco Kitchen with radio include? I can brick my device? Of course i´ll flash with 90% of battery power ;)

I think radio update is not necessary for some countrys. I´m from Brazil, and my radio version works fine for me, then i´ll don´t radio upgrade :)

Best regards to all!

Guest AndrewTan

Updates radio is not neccesary unless you facing signal issue.

I flash it because I love everything new... haha though I brick it.

I didn't flash this time as I read and notice the leak radio not seems better than.

In future if got better radio, I will do it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as careful, patient and check properly, it not so easier bricking your Nexus. (I know I brick once.. :) )